What is your best flight experience ever?

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Last weekend I took my wife for her first flight in a light plane, she loved it (thank god that means I have a chance to buy a plane) It was a bit scary taking a loved one for the first time but it was a thrill.Pete

I'm looking forward to that day! I'm glad she loved it - now, what kind of plane to buy???? 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

The first time is alway special...just like sex .

But just like sex, it gets better with practise and experience! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

I`ve just had a good one in the Drifter 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif ....... No, No, not that ! 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

Frank.

• Like 1

Guest KingAir

Definatley my first solo in the Jabiru and then after I got my RAA license, taking my family and friends flying.. :)

Guest davidh10
,,st. elmos fire followed by my first lightning strike.......and......my close encounter with a meteorite come immediately to mind..........

Definitely memorable, but I don't think too many will envy those experiences, interesting as they may have been!

Was the St Elmo's Fire a precursor to the lightning strike?

Mick you got me thinking,and I figure you mean red bull but fyling bull would be what happens at aeroclubs on friday nights!!!!

Hi Matt,

The Flying Bulls are a Czech based formation aerobatic team sponsered by Red Bull and operating 4 Zlin Z50LX's. 2 of the pilots also own Skylarks.

Here is a link to the profile of the guy I flew with http://www.flyingbulls.cz/team_krejci_e.html

And the aircraft http://www.flyingbulls.cz/start_e.html

I would put first solo up there and GFPT pass. But the one that take the prize for me is flying around above the cloud VFR for the first time. It was and unbelievable experience.

Paul

Sitting in the jump sea on an East West Airlines flight way back....

First solo in a Tomahawk - the climb rate with one on board seemed unreal!

Night circuits - always a magical experience

An early morning flight south of Toowoomba in Spring, when there was a low ground fog covering nearly as far as the eye can see.

Every time I was lucky enough to fly aeros - Pitts S2B, CT4B and CAP10

That's easy!- the last flight I did!!, sometimes it was yesterday, sometimes a week- it is always the best because everytime I close the hangar doors I pinch myself to remind me how priviledged and lucky I am to be doing this, whether with a student, family, friends or just on my own. Like Maj and others the minute you try to picture the best- a whole heap of great flights rush to your head. Good stuff this flyin thing:plane:

• Like 1

Like many others there are so many great flights. A sample Chrononlogically below

Screaming down a narrow valley going from one 90 to 110 degree bank to the other after dropping supplies to Army footsloggers in a RNZAF Iroquois in 1970 with the 2 cowboys pilots yahooing all the way.

First hang glider flight in 1975. Solo was the only possibility.

Thermalling to 10,000 feet in a hang glider, Queenstown NZ in 81-82. Stunning mountain scenery & I could see the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea at the same time (once I took the iced up glasses off).

Being number 2 to a 747 at Auckland International on a Nav training flight in a C152 & being told to "Keep your speed up FWS" & I was already doing 95kts, basically flat out. Flew it right down and had the longest flapless gradual flare of my life & I still could have managed 3 more touch & goes before the end of the runway.

Flying into Warbirds over Wanaka in 2000, No 10 on final in a C172 behind a Twin Comanche that forgot to lower his gear. Over 350 light aircraft flew in that day. Lucky we had 4 pilots on board to handle everything. It was sooo busy but sooo amazing as well.

I'd better give up. Once I start thinking about it almost all flights are the best ever.

I could say my first solo, but I wasn't too happy with it; my second solo was pretty good. I flew with air cadets at school, so I've had a few dusty memories of aerobatics in a Chipmunk, watching Tornados refueling out of the side windows of a VC10, etc. They were all good. The <3000ft tour of S England in a C130 with <500ft parachute drops was cool too.

However - as non P1, my most memorable experience was recent, with an outfit in Cape Town who fly an old Huey. I was strapped in the R Gunners' seat, no doors, mid-summer, and they then spent the next 30-45 minutes skimming down the beach and coast down to wavetop height and what seemed >100kt, pulling sharp turns and climbs, diving over hilltops, and so on. I'll have to compile all the video I shot of that and post it one day.

First hang glider flight in 1975. Solo was the only possibility.

Thermalling to 10,000 feet in a hang glider, Queenstown NZ in 81-82. Stunning mountain scenery & I could see the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea at the same time (once I took the iced up glasses off).

Wow KG, we share hang birthdays, mine was in the New England Tablelands My big 10'000 was inland near Boonah - I had never seen the world that small except for a flight to NZ in a Al cigar. Awesome!(and cold)cold.gif.c4cdc44db1f6c401c5e88ff399ed7104.gif

How things have changed...

• Like 1