LEAKING SPORTSTAR FUEL TANK

My 138hrs TTIS Sportstar has developed a leak in the Starboard fuel tank. A LAME has confirmed the leak is structural, and not from a union/gasket. Options to reseal involving the usual fluid sealers and "sloshing it around" like a motorbike tank aren't an option.

Anyone else had this problem? I've attempted to visualise the problem with an industrial endoscope but the ribs in the tank preclude scope advancement.

I can only see two options

• Remove wing and repair via the removed fuel sender port, but not under direct vision

• Remove the riveted tank cover, re-seal tank, re-seal cover, rivet and re-paint.

Neither are appealing. Any thoughts appreciated!

Surely there's a warranty that covers this sort of thing?

(I've never owned an aircraft so I don't know about these after-sales matters.)

Hi Owi - out of ordinary factory warranty due to age - I'm awaiting further thoughts from the importer Peter Harlow who is usually very helpful. Meanwhile I just want to go flying!!

I would go with the wing off, fuel sender removed and if you know the approx point of leakage and can get your hand in their, just use an approved fuel tank sealant .I used to put it on with finger tip or stiff brush when working on RAAF Skyhawks and it was all done by feel and then mirrors. Cheers

Hi Owi - out of ordinary factory warranty due to age - I'm awaiting further thoughts from the importer Peter Harlow who is usually very helpful. Meanwhile I just want to go flying!!

I hear ya, doc. You didn't mention it's age in years, but there's this consumer law regarding reasonable usage for the price paid (I forget the exact term). It basically protects the consumer from 'standard' warranty lengths, especially in the case of higher-value items. Cars tend to have a 5 year warranty now - instead of the ridiculously short 12 months - this is a more reasonable assurance that all the essential bits will still be working fine until then. A new aircraft of any price should easily fall within that category.

Or is there some caveat that I (and other prospective buyers) may be unaware of regarding new aircraft?

Cheers,

• Like 1

I hear ya, doc. You didn't mention it's age in years, but there's this consumer law regarding reasonable usage for the price paid (I forget the exact term). It basically protects the consumer from 'standard' warranty lengths, especially in the case of higher-value items. Cars tend to have a 5 year warranty now - instead of the ridiculously short 12 months - this is a more reasonable assurance that all the essential bits will still be working fine until then. A new aircraft of any price should easily fall within that category.Or is there some caveat that I (and other prospective buyers) may be unaware of regarding new aircraft?

Cheers,

Statuary Warranty

Thanks Guys - for all you inputs-much appreciated! But I wasn't after 'warranty thoughts' or' bagging Evektor thoughts' - just leaking tank thoughts! Evektor have been extraordinarily helpful as has their Aussie agent Peter Harlow, and there seems no doubt that they are genuinely interested in getting to the root of the problem. It will not be a big issue to resolve - if it becomes so I'll report back! Thanks again all

Docjell,

I've been watching this thread and trying to think of a solution. You said that the leak was structural. What exactly do you mean? If you would describe where the leak is, and what the structure is like around the leak, it would make it easier to suggest a solution.

Is there any chance that you could post some photos to illustrate the problem?

OME

These things happen, being a integral tank, sometimes the sealant dries and lets go.That means, sealant dries from not being in contact from fuel.I know I just got paid $10 000 from Veteran affairs for working in F111 fuel tanks. The key is finding out where it is leaking.Which is a difficult task. As mentioned above, its not the manufacturer or Peter Harlow that is the blame here.IMO

docjell, if you have a marine guy in town, you could get him to do a pressure test.

They usually have the fittings to do this either through the filler or the sender hole.

This will show conclusively where the leak is.

The next question is whether you can see the evidence or not with the tank in place - you might be lucky

If not you can move in stages of desperation/time/cost a step at a time, retesting as you go

I've found with race cars and boats that if the tank is aluminium, rewelding is usually what you have to do to avoid repetitive leaking after a time

I have been going through a leaking tank problem with my Lightwing GA912. The original tanks were basically GRP boxes with a alloy lid riveted on top. Unfortunately the alloy lid also is part of the structure of the wing and is therefore attached with many rivets to the spars and ribs. I believe my tanks developed their pinhole leaks due to use of fuel containing ethanol, but after the event you can't prove anything. Before you commit to a repair process, do a lot of research about resins, epoxies, and so called ethanol proof products. There aren't many. Take a look at my comments in the "Lightwing" Forum. My new tanks are welded alloy, glued to the original top skins. Pressure testing of fuel tanks is best done with water and a piece of hose set up to give a head of 2 mtrs. This will show up the location of weeps that are too small for air testing to show up. It also avoids potential damage that would be caused by applying excessive pressure to the tanks. Good luck.

Peter