Looking for some advice.

Guest OZiPilot

Guest OZiPilot

Hi all,

At the moment I hold a GFPT and I did all my training at Moorabbin.

As of late it is becoming very expensive to hire the 172/PA28.

As I do not want a career in aviation and just want it as a hobby I have been seriously thinking of converting to RAA.

What is needed? Where do I start? Pros and cons RAA v GA

Cheers!

Hi all,As of late it is becoming very expensive to hire the 172/PA28.

As I do not want a career in aviation and just want it as a hobby I have been seriously thinking of converting to RAA.

What is needed? Where do I start? Pros and cons RAA v GA

Cheers!

Mate,

Don't hesitate! Go to the RA-Aus website or pick up a copy of the latest RA Mag, find your nearest RA-Aus registered flying training facility or club and just go for a TIF and take it from there. All that's needed is a desire to learn and have fun flying. Since you have a GFPT cert already, you'll take to it like an eagle to the sky (can't say "duck to water" here).

I did this just over a year ago and haven't looked back since. RA rules!

Advantages.

Cheaper

Less regulation

More fun

Big selection of aircraft

Friendly people

Disadvantages.

Only 2 seats

No controlled airspace (but not sure about this with a GFPT)

A conversion would be a straight forward process. The rules say you need 2 hours solo in a recreational aircraft and such dual training as a CFI desires.

Go for a lap in an RAA acft and feel how much of a 'pilots' feel they have. You will be hooked.

Good luck

Hi OZ,

This is from the RAAus Operations manual:

Prior to undertaking a flight test for the issue of an RA-Aus Pilot Certificate anapplicant shall:

a. have completed a minimum of 20 hours flying experience in a

recreational aircraft which shall include a minimum of 5 hours as pilot in

command (solo), or

b. if having previous flying experience in sailplanes, aeroplanes or

rotorcraft other than recreational aircraft:

(1) have in excess of 20 hours flying experience with a minimum of

five hours pilot in command (solo),

(2) undertake such a dual training in a two place recreational

aircraft as deemed necessary by a CFI; and

(3) acquire a minimum of 5 hours flying experience flying a

recreational aircraft which must include at least one hour solo; or

c. if holding a current PPL or higher licence, have completed such dual

training in a low performance recreational aircraft as is deemed

necessary by a CFI and, in any case shall have not less than 5 hours

flying experience in a low performance recreational aircraft which shall

include a minimum of one hour solo, or

d. if passed a current GFPT or higher licence, have completed such dual

training in a high performance recreational aircraft as is deemed

necessary by a CFI.

Note: For the purpose of para c. above, experience in GA aircraft may be counted

towards the 5 hours (up to the full amount), provided the experience was

gained in a recreational aircraft type which may be registered on either the

RA-Aus or the VH register, e.g. Jabiru, Gazelle, Skyfox, Lightwing as

recognised by the RA-Aus Operations Manager or their delegate.

Basically if you already have 20hrs experience (5hrs solo) you need to do another 5 hours minimum training, 1hr solo, in an RAAus registered aircraft. A basic RAAus certificate allows you to fly within 25 miles radius from your originating airport (similar to GFPT?). You need another minimum 10hrs nav training to get a cross country endorsement.

Pros and cons? A lot cheaper to fly, arguably more fun. The lighter aircraft can be more challenging to fly. 600kg MTOW (depending on aircraft). Day VFR only. No aeros. Only one passenger. You cannot fly in controlled airspace....unless you also hold a PPL (don't know about GFPT) and your RAAus aircraft is suitably equipped.

As an example I'm training in Tecnams at $180/hr dual, and I think they are about $140/hr wet hire.

Peter

Guest OZiPilot

Cheers for all the quick replies!

I as i mentioned i dont want aviation as a career and i don't think i would have the need for 4 seats or controlled airspace for that matter.

I think it is my best option by far! can anyone recommend me some schools to check out? i live North Eastern suburbs of melbourne if that helps!

Lilydale airport has Jabirus and the Royal Vic Aero Club has Tecnams at Coldstream (Go for the Tecnams :big_grin:).

One prominent (but dark) forum member here trained at Lilydale. She could tell you more.

Guest OZiPilot

Just googled both planes pictures and youtubed 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif both look very nice!!

Any major / massive differences ? or should i TIF both and see what is good?

I'm only a student so others here could offer a much more informed opinion. I had the choice of two schools at my airport, one with Jabs and the other with Tecnams. I did TIFs with both. The Jabiru is a good, honest and strong aussie built aircraft. It is built down to a price and represents excellent flying value. Tecnams are Italian and a lot more expensive. For me the difference was chalk and cheese. I found the Jab (J-160) rather "clunky" to fly. The Tecnam by comparison was beautifully responsive and a joy to fly. But you pay extra for the privilege.

I really enjoy the low wing Tecnam Sierra, but the high wing Tecnams are very nice to fly too. Do TIFs with both schools....you might prefer Jabs!

Guest OZiPilot

Just checked out both planes today in person.

I think I like the look of the jabiru.

I'm 6ft 3"" and fit very nice :) (one thing I was worried about when I first saw it)

Hope to book a t.I.f this w/e

Flown both the Teccie's and Jabs. Tecnam are easy to land, easy to fly, and quite nice - price is up there though.

Jab's are smaller feeling width ways, but I find better for long people (myself being about 6' or more). Flying wise, I reckon they fly nice on cruise - (the good ones ;) but a bit tricker to land, but nothing you can't learn.

A few of my video's below might give you an idea on what the two are like, maybe.

Here's some flying in a Highwing Tecnam

You will notice quite a bit of difference to your flare and hold off, these smaller aircraft will feel much lighter, as they are! You'll probably end up flaring to high on the first couple landings but I'm sure you will get the feel of it pretty quick. Hope you enjoy the transition.

Have fun. :big_grin:

I was in the same boat flying in melbourne 172s PA28 300+ dual got my GFPT did some of my nav,s then the cost was just to much. just moved to brisbane now looking for a good rec school.

Paul

• 1 month later...
Guest OZiPilot

I have decided on the Tecnam so i think i'll head out to Coldstream but i have read an article that RVAC has stopped training out there? are they still up and running? does anyone have any news?

I have decided on the Tecnam so i think i'll head out to Coldstream but i have read an article that RVAC has stopped training out there? are they still up and running? does anyone have any news?

try them on

Phone: (03) 9739 1406

I doubt they are flying right now. :-)

I agree with Motz.:

Advantages.

Cheaper

Less regulation

More fun

Big selection of aircraft

Friendly people

And add -

'Cheaper' also means that owning your own aircraft is actually attainable