Recreational Flying EFB

Update on the Recreational Flying Tablet PCs (Pads)...

There are many issues with using tablet PCs like Ipads etc when flying and having an Ipad myself I can assure you through my own experience with my Ipad that they are unreliable which could have safety issues if a person was to get use to it and start relying on it...which we should NOT do.

This is why, with my 27 years of IT knowledge, I have been trying to spec a tablet PC that I personally would like to have and use...for example there are many different mobile processors (CPU) out there even to the point that a 800mhz processor can be far superior then a 1ghz processor...there are also different brands and they generate different levels of heat in continual use etc etc so specing a unit that is the best for a pilot is extremely hard.

The same goes for say GPS modules in these units...there are gps modules and there are REAL GPS MODULES...no one wants to be flying with a unit that does have a gps module but drops out more then another type.

Through months of research I spec'd our units that I would love to use myself however there were always problems with this or that...too much heat generated after 4hrs of continual use, the best gps module but it didn't work well with other components, a 3g internal module that that interfered with other parts etc etc etc.

The best pad on the market today (technically) is the Samsung Pad with it extremely strong Samsung processor but these units are not cheap and yes, they are a far better overall unit then an Ipad but both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Many other pads have Telchips TCC8902 (1GHz) or a RK2918 ARM Cortex A8 processor 1.2GHZ processor which even though they are either the same speed or faster they are still weaker then the Samsung processor...there is only one other processor better and that is the Freescale IMX515 1GHZ. So starting with this and the collection of all the branded components I wanted in the Recreational Flying EFB Pad I then had to find a factory who was willing to change their production to build units to our specs and work with me to get them perfect...which I finally did but then came the problems of having all the best parts working together and we have finally achieved an incredible absolute BEST Pad for pilots possible...no other pad on the market today comes close to the build quality, the components used and the reliability that I would use myself.

The factory testing is completed and the 7" prototype is about to be shipped for me to "really" test it...and I mean REALLY test it so it is all starting to come together...a 7" Android pad that can be used as a NextG phone, live data connectivity, Internet, Moving Map GPS, Flight Planning, E6B and Pilot Tools and Calculations, and much more in the air, in the car, at the office and at home.

You also may know of the project we got going here with a few guys to develop a complete software package for pilots to use on Pads and Mobile Phones...well here is a sneak peak at a screen shot of the controlled airspace notification on the synthetic vision moving map gps and flight tracking and remember this is going to be ALL FREE to everyone...no subscriptions, no payments for updates, no costs of any kind...completely free...the guys in the project are doing an incredible job for us all...did I say that this is going to be FREE...just in case I didn't let me say it again...FREE

Notice the airspace and the airspace rings above you in the first screen shot...

1906885861_Ersaandareadata.jpg.6d378cc4da506ccce289352222709843.jpg

1974045276_Airspacenavigation.jpg.d313b96b83fe6b788e9f4bda1580e819.jpg

I can't say at the moment Kaz...not until I get the prototype and start testing it along with my 9 and 13 year old kids...I test the adult version and the kids really test it :hittinghead:

I am hoping in about a month and will be about half the price of a Samsung Pad...everything is looking like $399

• Like 1

What fun am I going to have now...the 7" prototype has just arrived...a bit heavier then I had hoped at 480 grams which can only be from the extra specs, modules and battery, and it arrived with USA 110v power adaptor...luckily I have an adaptor for it but can't let that happen again.

Initial impressions are WOW...very solid and a nice to touch screen especially compared to my Ipad which has a somewhat flimsy touch which is no good when flying unless you are always flying in absolute calm air.

I will give it a good run with some hard testing, give it to the kids for some "Real" testing and then pass it on to a forum member "Gibbo" and see what he thinks and do some UAT (User Acceptance Testing) before we place a bulk order for them...I like the phone screen on it 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• 1 month later...

An update if anyone is interested...the prototype 2 of the 7" Android powered EFB tablet PC has been shipped...STRONG GPS module, WiFi, Bluetooth, Dual Camera (front and back), can play Flash content on websites (unlike Apple), Skype etc and you can also make phone calls with it plus all the normal Android available applications.

I have been advised that the testing of the battery life has shown that you can watch videos on it for 5 hours before a recharge is needed

When it arrives it will again go through an enormous amount of testing to make sure it is a quality unit that we can put our name on...expected retail price is now showing possibly $375

WOW...I am impressed...the 2nd prototype of the Recreational Flying EFB Tablet PC has arrived and compared to Prototype 1, which I have given to my 9 year old son, they are chalk and cheese...this is one hell of a nice unit...magnificent screen, fantastic to touch compared to my iPad, very light in weight, much thinner (even thinner then the Recreational Flying 7" GPS units), twin cameras, they are even including a small unobtrusive Bluetooth earpiece for the built-in phone and a leather flip case. It was sent to me last Thursday and today it still has about 95% of charge and after 30mins I can't feel any heat coming from it.

The testing now begins and geeze I hope this unit stacks up to my harsh testing as I am already so impressed with it in just after 30mins of playing with it...stay tuned anyone that is interested

• Like 1

Here are some pictures of prototype 2 but please note that I am no good with a camera...I didn't clean the dust of the lens to start with and that was after I tried taking a picture with the lens on 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

1672085598_021800x600.jpg.12cfa1c0fc218e0b2138259ff6556056.jpg

355428877_001800x600.jpg.e7cf0d005915ca33110c36ca5e8b2e4a.jpg

560682810_006800x600.jpg.b780e1a0d5a2a4b6383ee28678f142ef.jpg

1301280505_009800x600.jpg.24abafcb7f76c42919adecc633f7d6d2.jpg

316987228_010800x600.jpg.3ad165df7a0b35982ae816fa82120563.jpg

1976333403_012800x600.jpg.69f133e17c9ace0563b7fcf2ef4ad3e3.jpg

72215049_017800x600.jpg.93967e244938035a5deac04441703287.jpg

868602508_018800x600.jpg.686665cecdc349de7ccb7e54675e12c8.jpg

144233692_019800x600.thumb.jpg.552cf777467bbb3e35cf79ac4a2e1909.jpg

494589872_020800x600.jpg.54a6344d9bfb2f1724af160fab8003c7.jpg

Strange as I fully charged the 5" GPS and left it in street navigation mode running the demo and the battery lasted 2.5hrs before it shut down.

Try letting the battery completely run down once and then leave it on charge for say 12hrs and see what life the battery gives then...they take a couple of drain-charge-drain-charge to get them to peak I would guess

I can't comment exacts on the tablet PC yet in terms of battery life yet as I will need to do some proper testing once the battery is at peak to begin with...I will let you know

You can see the pictures of it with the first one showing how much brighter it is against the iPad in sunlight so they will be much better for viewing in an aircraft then using an iPad so I will be doing my battery tests using that brightness...ever tried viewing a chart on an iPad in the sunlight...forget it

No, still have to carry docs but I will look into that down the track some time...gotta make sure the unit is the best there is, better then the iPad and then there is the software to use...imagine if we can use the Google Earth with the Google speech on the unit...to create a flight plan you just have to say to the unit "Fly from x to y" and Google Earth opens up with all the airstrip layers, ERSA info, weather etc and your track is all laid out and ready to fly...a dream at the moment but there are loads of opportunities using Android, Google Speech and Google Earth

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

I have just caught up with all the specs etc. Looks fantastic.

You can put me down for a 10" one when they are available, just as a computer. It looks like it will crap all over the other tablets out there.

If it was dual, Android and Win 7, what a bonus, although I have been playing with a cheap 7" Android tablet recently, as a replacement for a traditional lap top, and I reckon they are heaps of fun, and easy to use.

I will wait with a breath like bait. No, thats not right, oh, what the hell.

Cheers,

Ding.

• Like 2

Hi Ian,I have just caught up with all the specs etc. Looks fantastic.

You can put me down for a 10" one when they are available, just as a computer. It looks like it will crap all over the other tablets out there.

If it was dual, Android and Win 7, what a bonus, although I have been playing with a cheap 7" Android tablet recently, as a replacement for a traditional lap top, and I reckon they are heaps of fun, and easy to use.

I will wait with a breath like bait. No, thats not right, oh, what the hell.

Cheers,

Ding.

What Ding said...

Will this one be compatible with the flight planning software of the GPS's?

The Recreational Flying GPS uses OziExplorer and they are about to release an Android version so yes and no, the EFB would need OziExplorer Android version and not the Windows CE version. However, there is also Google Earth with the airfield layer that is about to be tested on it...I will be sending the Prototype 2 to Gibbo within the next day or so for further testing.

If all goes well the 7" EFB will probably sell for only $375 depending on any changes that will need to be made for final release

• 2 months later...

Hi Ian,

Just caught this thread and have not read all the comments to-date. Has consideration been given to the brightness of the screen in sunlight which is an issue with pilots flying mid wing and low wing aircraft?

I have just upgraded my mobile phone from HTC Windows OS to Samsung Galaxy S II Android OS and looking to the future will only go with an Android tablet.

Cheers

Clive

VH-SST

• Like 1