Spoked wheel lacing and trueing.

Ok...some one is looking down on me! I couldnt accept the answer I got from the local Harley dealer that no one here in Tamworth can do this. I called in to the other motorcycle shop here and asked the guys behind the counter if they did this and the answer was "of course!". They said we will get the boss in here and see what he says as he likes old planes.

In comes the boss! I showed him the photo of the rim and spoke set I have from Buchanans along with a photo of a Pietenpol. Well his eyes lit up! He immediately said "Thats a Pietenpol". I said yes it is!

Well for the next 30 mins we chatted about how he has one in his garage at home. What he has is a 1933 built Pietenpol Scout. This one he has, has been hanging from the roof of a mueseum that was once in town here. Apparently it is fitted with a 9 cylinder radial engine which was freshened up in 1959 and has been hanging from the roof since 1961. He got it in the 1990's and has had it in his shed at home ever since. He said once a week he uncovers it and turns the prop over by hand and one day hopes to restore it to flying status again. Well this is all very exciting and he has invited me over to have a look at it.

I asked if he can lace and true these rims I have and hes going to do it at a price I cant refuse so will try and be there while he does it so I will know for the future.

I cant believe that this has happened and am in a bit of shock that some one who lives a few streets away from me has one in his garage!

Scotty 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

• Like 1

the moral of the story is that harley shops are full of d!ckheads 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Well Harley's have never been my bike of choice and this has enforced my previous thoughts about the folks who indulge themselves with such machinery. (Trying to be polite here).

Scotty

You bloody beauty! I have found that if you bother to ask around and talk to people all sorts of things crop up.

Your next task is to go to this bloke's place and take heaps of photos and find out the type of engine it is. I'll bet it's a Kinner.

You are one lucky bastard!

OME

9 cylinders ( if it's true) narrows the possibilities a bit. The original engine in a Piet is a Ford four (model "A") lightened and direct drive. They are not much more than 40 HP but a big prop does the job well, with the torque available, and the wing can lift the weight at a slow speed.

Why do we have to have the slagging bit about Harley's again? I've worked on plenty and DO know how to lace wheels. Spoils the tone of the discussion, and unnecessary. Nev

OME...its not a Kinner. I think he said it was an English model but I cant recall. Will take some pics and post them when I can.

Although if you have a spare kinner 5 cylinder radial keep it aside for me. What I want to build is a replica Polikarpov PO2 and the Kinner 5 cylinder would fit nicely.

1836115698_1173011(640x480).jpg.76f89ec694ae5f2b5598929b97748293.jpg

Scotty

Why do we have to have the slagging bit about Harley's again? I've worked on plenty and DO know how to lace wheels. Spoils the tone of the discussion, and unnecessary. Nev

FT...your in trouble now, go to your room!

Back on subject....Polikarpov's dont have spoked wheels me thinks...hhmmmm

The money at work is on its being a Pobjoy.OME

no its a Salmson AD9. i saw it running in the early 60s when it was sold at auction, i purchased a Corben super ace from the same owner. the Corben was built at Narromine in 1938 and also powered by a Salmson , it is on loan to the narromine aviation museum who are restoring it for static display, they have just acquired a Salmson from the USA

OME the pobjoys are geared with a layshaft that puts the drive centre above the actual centre of the engine. They were very lightweight engines, especially for the time. Original engine in the Comper Swift. Would love to get hold of one. Nev

I got the hubs back from the local engineers yesterday who turned a little from the inside of the Oilite bearings to fit the axle. Today I dropped them off at the powder coaters. He said they will be ready end of next week. Once I get these back I will visit the motorcycle shop and have it laced and trued and work out a time to visit his Piet. Photos then hopefully.

Scotty

• 2 weeks later...
no its a Salmson AD9. i saw it running in the early 60s when it was sold at auction, i purchased a Corben super ace from the same owner. the Corben was built at Narromine in 1938 and also powered by a Salmson , it is on loan to the narromine aviation museum who are restoring it for static display, they have just acquired a Salmson from the USA

Merc..you are right. It is the Salmson AD9 radial engine. I went and had a look at the Pietenpol Scout today with camera in hand. I also collected the first of my laced and trued rims and im very happy with the result!

2059771303_IMG_1340(640x480).jpg.6f95936914670a9b83c25984d7d0292c.jpg

Happy for you getting your wheels done. Jealous that you can get access to the P Scout.

Have a go at those valve springs 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

My boss reckons that spares for the engine would be like fonding hen's teeth in rocking horse poo.

What is the name? Miss Mogal? What was the rego?

OME

Think it's a Salmson (built in France) 9 NC. 154 Hp normally aspirated. Those valve springs are like half a "hairpin" valve spring which were used in the early Norton "International" OHC.motorcycles. Be lovely to get it running again. Nev