OzRunways 2.0 now available!

Guest OzRunways

Guest OzRunways

The Future of Air Navigation is Here

Know where you’re going. And how to get there.

We are very proud to announce the availability of OzRunways 2.0! Get it now from the App Store.

More information here:

http://www.ozrunways.com/site/2011/06/ozrunways-2-0-available-now/

Please remember to buy/renew your subscription on our website!

Only days ago, Apple quietly dropped the requirement of equal prices for in-app and out of app payments. Because for in-app Apple takes 30%, we have increased the prices for in-app purchases. To get the advertised prices of $75 for private and $110 for pro, just renew on the website. Easy.

Thanks so much for your support over the past 6 months!

Rowan, Neil and Bas.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome app, puts the like of garmin to shame, but a few questions, i have been told it wont run on a NON 3G ipad? i dont have an ipad yet, but iphone 4, and its works very well on the phone, if the NON 3G ipads dont have a GPS receiver, could a small app be written that would allow the ipad/Ozrunways app to take its GPS position from a tethered Iphone?

also, if this app can be integrated with NAIPS to retrieve NOTAMs on the fly for your nearest airports, and relevant airspace, this truly would be the future of navigation! next step. augmented reality...... a heads up display, running this app, with all airspace boundaries in full view exactly where they are when you look out of the windscreen! imagine the possibilities when looking through your windscreen and just following a line in the sky, even in IMC conditions.... opps getting ahead of myself there..... if this does eventually happen, i want a cut ok...

Is there anyway to feed the NMEA data from a GPS into the Ipad so it wont matter then if you dont have 3g access when flying or say you fly out past any cell site then this would solve the issue of having to have access to a cell site so the gps side works. If you cant serially get it into the ipad maybe there is a serial to bluetooth dongle that we can fit then you should be able to get the data into the Ipad

Mark

Friend just installed it on his iPad here at Watts Bridge so it has impressed many of us. Brisbane VTC didn't load so gave up on that and looked at the WAC instead.

I'll buy mine when I get home.

Guest OzRunways
i have been told it wont run on a NON 3G ipad

It will work, but you will need an external GPS to get your position on the map.

augmented reality...... a heads up display

Yeah I was thinking the same thing the other day; My dream is to buy a jetpack and have this integrated into the helmet visor :)

Hi Oz

So your app will look at a incoming NMEA data stream coming from a GPS as most everyone has a GPS in their aircraft and most have a serial NMEA output. Can the Ipad take this data in somehow?..This would obviuosly solve any issues about 3G and cell access

Mark

Guest OzRunways
So your app will look at a incoming NMEA data stream coming from a GPS as most everyone has a GPS in their aircraft and most have a serial NMEA output. Can the Ipad take this data in somehow?..This would obviuosly solve any issues about 3G and cell access

It's complicated, as any relationship with Steve Jobs is... ;-)

You can't just plug stuff into the iPad's USB port; it needs to have Steve's blessing too. We're working on in...

Is there anyway to feed the NMEA data from a GPS into the Ipad so it wont matter then if you dont have 3g access when flying or say you fly out past any cell site then this would solve the issue of having to have access to a cell site so the gps side works. If you cant serially get it into the ipad maybe there is a serial to bluetooth dongle that we can fit then you should be able to get the data into the Ipad

I've tested both the BadElf plug-in GPS (http://bad-elf.com/products/gps/) and the Dual Bluetooth GPS with the iPad/iPhone (http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/16597) and OzRunways. Both work seamlessly - that is, if you are not getting a good GPS fix from the internal GPS then the (Apple IOS) software chooses the best it can get. That is reflected in the "ERR" field in the GPS HUD in the OzRwy App. Anything around 10-20m is good, When you see 200-400m you are in WiFi or 3G 'GPS assisted' mode (and your auxilliary GPS if being used, is not getting a good signal either). I prefer the Bluetooth version as you can chuck that anywhere in hard GPS placement situations. It comes with a rubber thingy that will stick to almost any console. Battery life is really good (all day). And there is a 12V USB charger included.

Hi OzSo your app will look at a incoming NMEA data stream coming from a GPS as most everyone has a GPS in their aircraft and most have a serial NMEA output. Can the Ipad take this data in somehow?..This would obviously solve any issues about 3G and cell access

Mark

Wrt Garmin's, as OzRwy's says, that is 'work in progress'. Lost likely, it will couple NMEA serial out of 'anything' to the iPad/iPhone via WiFi.

In side by side flying of the iPad and Garmin 495/695 over the past year the iPad has never not had a valid GPS signal when the Garmins had good signals - aka headings, bearings, distances, etc. match in all respects. Mind you, that's in an R44. I do understand in a metal enclosed cockpit you might see more problems. One thing that is evident is that the iPad especially, benefitting from the use of more recent GPS chips is that it is way more sensitive than the Garmin 495/496. For example, the iPad will get a a seemingly real fix indoors when the Garmin 495/496 (even with an antenna) will not (although, I will admit, the IOS is very, very crafty and it might just be faking it). Not sure about the 695 as that is fixed in the aircraft. It's a later incarnation so should be better.

Oh, yeh, I've tested the iPad/OzRwys on a recent Lake Eyre trip and it works perfectly well when there is no 3G for miles.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any way to create a waypoint on a random landmark... Ie. Say I want to fly to nebo, the airstrip there is not on the charts, ozrunways won't allow me to fly direct there.. Also, multiple legs.. Is there a way to create a series of waypoints?

Guest OzRunways
Any way to create a waypoint on a random landmark... Ie. Say I want to fly to nebo, the airstrip there is not on the charts, ozrunways won't allow me to fly direct there.. Also, multiple legs.. Is there a way to create a series of waypoints?

User waypoints coming very soon! Multi-leg: later this year.

Where did you get an ipad with a USB port from??

It's part of the dock connector. How else do you think it connects to your computer to sync and update? 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

It also has a serial port, which would actually be easier and more appropriate for hooking up this sort of stuff.

Guest OzRunways
I believe there is a ipad3 coming probably september or a bit later this year....not sure about this but will your software be cross product compatable?

Yes, that and any iPad or iOS version after! Really, take up of OzRunways has been tremendous and we're definitely here to stay.

Bas.

User waypoints coming very soon! Multi-leg: later this year.It's part of the dock connector. How else do you think it connects to your computer to sync and update? 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

It also has a serial port, which would actually be easier and more appropriate for hooking up this sort of stuff.

Ohh I thought you had one with a separate USB port, I got all excited.

Guest OzRunways
Ohh I thought you had one with a separate USB port, I got all excited.

No such luck; I don't ever see the happening, with ever thinning models.

That said: there is a normal USB port for the iPad; it's called the Camera Connection Kit. Meant to just connect cameras and transfer photos, people with jail broken iPads have been using it for all sorts of things, like attaching drives.

But like I said: that's jail broken iPads and we can't go down that route and we won't need to; Apple are not the evil overlords that some think. Yes, you need to go through the proper channels, but it is in their interest to get as many kinds of devices attaching because they will sell more iPads - they just want to make sure these devices don't fry iPads, etc. It's just paper work, that's all.

Bas.

Was at a meeting with a couple of CASA staff just now. At the end of it I mentioned my iPhone with OzRunways. Apparently they have decided that it meets the reg for carrying documents - the context of the discussion (and it was only a very brief discussion) was me who is only day VFR - if I was ramp checked then I could tick all those boxes if I showed the required documents on my iPhone.

They said that there will be a CAAP on Electronic Flight Bags shortly.

• Like 3

I tried to jailbreak my first iphone, downloaded instructions from the web......scratch one mobile 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

should still be able to do a restore on it through itunes pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a WiFi only iPad 2 in the next few months. The reason I'm going for the WiFi only model is because my Galaxy S acts as a WiFi hotspot (just the same as a modem) so I can connect the iPad to the phone. The only lacking feature of the iPad 2 WiFi is the GPS. These external GPS' are around $100 to buy so the total cost of the iPad is $679 while the 3G one is $729, is it really worth the $50 saving? Or should I just buy the 3G model? Are the external GPS' more accurate? With that $50 saving I can get the care protection plan for $49 to almost match the price of the 3G iPad. So really I've got myself a 3G/GPS enabled iPad 2 16GB with Apple Care Protection for the same price as a 3G iPad without the protection. Think it's worth it? I had the protection plan for my iPhone and it really saved my butt when I cracked my screen!

-Andrew