Knee Docks for iPad now available!

Guest OzRunways

Guest OzRunways

Hi All,

OzRunways is doing great; it's fantastic to hear from so many pilots using and loving it. It's really encouraging us to get all the features we want to add to it done as soon as possible.

In the mean time, we are introducing the Knee Dock!

We developed this with a family member who own a factory (http://www.vteworld.com/) based in Michigan that normally developers parts for automotive and marine industries. Together we thing we've come up with a great, comfortable, light weight design. I have been flying with the prototype for months and like it a lot better than some of the competing products I've tried!

Have a look at http://kneedock.com.au/ to order yours.

Free shipping for Recreational Flying members in June!

Enter the coupon code "RECFLY" on checkout and you get $6 off, which covers the usual shipping cost.

Offer valid until June 30th 2011.

Thanks again for your support!

Bas.

Guest OzRunways

If you have an iPad 2, it just might, depending how thin the silicone wrapper is, it would need to be pretty thin! That's really a problem with any case like this.

Bas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey bas, just ordered one, on a side note, will ozrunways support the flywi standalone gps?

Here: http://www.flightguide.com/flight_guide_iefb.html

This is their response when I asked: - Those programs will need to update their App to recognize the FLY-Wi. We have a developer kit available.

The unit looks great and goes out via wifi not BT it also has an extra sOcket for ADSB or WX enroute.

DK

Guest OzRunways
Hey bas, just ordered one, on a side note, will ozrunways support the flywi standalone gps?

No, it won't. But it will work with any of the "Made for iPhone/iPad" GPSs out there as they simply augment the built in GPS functions; we don't even know you are using it!

The one we like the best so far is:

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/16597

It's also 1/3 the price of the flywi!

Guest OzRunways
Does that mean you could use the non 3G iPad for ozrunwys if you had the Bluetooth gps reciever?

Sure can! If you have an iPhone as well, you could tether the iPad to it over wifi and use the iPhone's internet connection to get your weather and what else we'll be doing with the Internet in future.

Bas.

• 1 month later...

Hi Bas,

We are looking at getting an iPad primarily to run your app. Would a 16GB one would be big enough?

Also, I assume we will need the 3G for the GPS component, but does it have to be 'onboard' or could I use my iphone as a personal hotspot? I prefer to avoid having another 3G plan - and I have 6GB in my iPhone plan.

Thanks.

Chris

16 GB is plenty.Get the 3G model for gps, but you can use your tethered iPhone for Internet access.

Bas.

Thanks Bas. - I just noticed in one of your earlier comments that an external GPS can be used (with bluetooth).. So is it possible to tether an iPhone to access both GPS and 3G?

Guest OzRunways

You could use an external GPS via Bluetooth or dock connector, yes.

The tethered iPhone will also give location information, but that doesn't update fast enough for navigation.

You could use an external GPS via Bluetooth or dock connector, yes.The tethered iPhone will also give location information, but that doesn't update fast enough for navigation.

Bas - Sorry to be a bit slow with these things - but does tethering to an iPhone for the 3G connection (only) overcome the slow-update issue? I.e. with the GPS on-board the iPad?

Guest OzRunways

Yes, if you have GPS in the iPad, it will use that for location, even when tethered.

We have one customer who flies all over Oz with a 3G iPad with no SIM in it, and has no problems.

Bas- I love my OzRunways!! Just had to tell you- great job- I even use the scratch pad for instructing when trying to visualise for the student cct patterns, approaches and all sorts of things- a really great tool for an old technologically decrepid child of the sixties- THANKS TO YOUR TEAM!:thumb_up:

• 2 weeks later...

Bas - Just bought our iPad2 this week - solely to run your OZRunways app... Compared to the 'bit squeezy' screen of our iPhones, the app is brilliant on the Pad.

Apart from the obvious benefit of being able to plan routes and show tracks overlayed on full WAC (or other) charts, we can now record the tracks taken by students in navexes and show them the results in debrief.

We find we dont really need a knee-dock, the Pad is light and sits comfortably on legs without becoming hot or uncomfortable at all.. We have one of the Belkin covers that puts the Pad to sleep when you close it and picks up instantly when you open it, to conserve power - and protects the screen. We just stick it in the Jab door pocket when not needed.

Well done OzR guys.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...