Just Landed

Hello All,

Just found this site after cruising around the web looking for ultralight flying schools. Thought I would take the time to introduce myself.

My wife and I have just moved to Toowoomba and gone into a notel which will give me some good web surfing time, I figured this looked like a good place to get my aviation fix without getting to go out flying as much as I would like!!!!!!!

Also while I am here does any one know of where there is an ultralight flying school in or near Toowoomba, also looking for some where to get a hangar nearby. I had heard there is a spot out at Milmerrin?

Louis! Welcome mate, and it's great you have come on board! :thumb_up:

I'm fairly local to Toowoomba myself (100klm west) so I can give you to a few RAA schools in the area.

There are no RAA (ultralight) schools in Toowoomba itself, but there is one at Clifton (approx 45min from Toowoomba) - The lone eagle flying school - and the one at Dalby (50 min north west) Avid Aviation. I trained at Dalby so naturally would recommend him, but Clifton is okay too of course.

At Clifton they have Jabiru 160, and J230 and the Drifter - The CFI Trevor Banges - 0429 378 370

At Dalby they have Drifter, J120 and Pioneer - Bob Keen the CFI, his contact details are 0429 639 770

Hope that helps! And let me know if you need any more information, I'm happy to help.

Ps. I'm a relation to the Moore's at Ipswich :big_grin:

Thanks everyone for the welcome, looks like this is a very active little community.

Thanks also Tomo for the references, I have spoken to Trevor out at Clifton and sounds about what I am looking for, but am also going to call a CFI out at Warrick and the one at Dalby too. Figure I will put my feelers out there and see what I turn up!

Could not believe there was not an RAA school at Toowoomba, I thought with all the activity out here there was bound to some one about!

Hi Louis give Clifton a miss, its too bloody cold flying a Drifter in winter, and give Kev Walters a call, he is just outside of gatton and its a balmy place compared to Clifton. There is also a school @ Coominya

Hey there is an idea, opening a flying school in Toowoomba. Sounds like a lot of paper work, might hole of on that one for a while.

I agree a drifter would be a cold way to go in winter, but we have just moved up from victoria so I am not finding the chill to overwhelming! Also running a motel means the closer to home I can get the better. Where abouts is Coominya in relation to Toowoomba, also what are they flying out there?

Too much fog/low cloud in Toowoomba for a flying school (something too look forward too). Coominya is also the Brisbane side of Gatton, the altitude @ Clifton is 1500ft versus < 400 around Gatton. At Coominya they fly Lightwing 912s. Kev is your closest school, about 45 minutes away, he also has a evektor sportstar, which I like a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Where abouts is Coominya in relation to Toowoomba,

Hi Louis, And welcome from me too. Coominya is down the range, past Gatton, past the BP with McDonalds, a couple of miles up you cross a bridge, turn left there. I did my training there, and can't recommend him highly enough. John Walmsley at Coominya Flight Training 0413452547 54264614. Give him a call and say hi.

Cheers Davo.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

PS what Motel? when my wife and I go to Bris. or Gold coast we usually stop for the night in Toowoomba on the way home.

• 3 weeks later...
Where abouts is Coominya in relation to Toowoomba,Hi Louis, And welcome from me too. Coominya is down the range, past Gatton, past the BP with McDonalds, a couple of miles up you cross a bridge, turn left there. I did my training there, and can't recommend him highly enough. John Walmsley at Coominya Flight Training 0413452547 54264614. Give him a call and say hi.

Cheers Davo.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

PS what Motel? when my wife and I go to Bris. or Gold coast we usually stop for the night in Toowoomba on the way home.

Hey Davo, Sorry it took me so long to reply. Ruthven Street Motor Inn is the name of the Motel we run. 786 Ruthven Street is the adress, up near the hungry jack'a and charcoal chicken shop!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Lewis. Have you found a flight school yet? I've just started training at Coominya. It's a bit of a drive for me too(1hr from Springfield) but John is a great instructor and he has three hangars with about 15-20 planes there and was talking about building another if you wanted to get hangarage.