For all you muso's out there

Deskpilot

Get a load of this... I used to play violin with this guy in Youth Orchestra's... Graeme Jennings. I don't get it... but apparently its like... cutting edge or something... the only thing I think is on edge is me when I listen to it. This apparently is like modern Tschaikovsky or something... apparently he is pretty good...

Apparently... I better edit that because I had better give my old friend credit... he really is like this international devil's instrument playing man of mystery.... http://www.griffith.edu.au/music/queensland-conservatorium/staff/graeme-jennings

Speed-picking or speed-playing (on pretty much any instrument) is very impressive and I greatly admire those who have put the time into perfecting that aspect of playing. However, on my instrument of choice (pedal-steel guitar), tone and touch are most highly prized to bring out the emotion of the music and help the listener connect with it. One of the highest tasks of the musician is to the conduit between the music and the listener. I call it being a "good and true servant of the music".

I have no intention of taking anything away from the super-fast pickers, but I'll take "touch and tone" over sheer speed any day. When your playing can bring genuine tears of appreciation to your audience's eye(s), then you're starting to become one with your instrument.

I still enjoy speed-picking though, especially from a "tight" Bluegrass band.

The first time I heard this (

Brilliant, simply brilliant. TE is a master no doubt. Can't say the same for his daughter appearing on Australia's Got Talent though.

That's classic Ozzie! Has inspired me to get out the old "Putt Putt" rail car and see if I can do something similar! drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ozzie

Watched the 'aviators band' at Airventure. just a bunch of pilots that get together once a year. Really good show they put on. i enjoyed their version of 'The Devil came to Georgia'. After conducting a survey they found that 46% of pilots play a musical instrument.

Some very interesting links to music popping up on this thread so I thought I'd add one of my own favourites. For an example of the "Master of Touch and Tone", the late and great Mr JohnHughey on pedal-steel, plug in your headphones and follow this link:-

Some very fine picking from one of the legends, now sadly gone.

• 2 weeks later...