Carbon Cub Weight Figures... Impressive

But perhaps not Ra-Aus as such? Did anyone notice the write up in the latest Sport Flyer mag?

A very impressive aircraft... but perhaps more impressive is the fact that the pilots can reach the controls obviously being such featherlights in order to be flying 2 up under Ra-Aus rego legally?

Or were the published figures wrong?

Still... I reckon it sounds like just the sort of aircraft I would love to fly.... if I ever win lotto!

THE LIGHT SPORT CATEGORY LIMITS THIS AIRCRAFT TO:

• 900 lb empty weight and 1320 lb gross weight on wheels.

• Maximum continuous speed of 138 miles per hour.

• Maximum takeoff power limited to five minutes.

• Maximum continuous power limited to 80 HP after five minutes.

The airplane can be configured as either a one- or two-place S-LSA, depending on options and the resulting empty weight.

This implies 420 lb (about 190Kg) payload

Two 12 gallon wing tanks (24 gallon capacity) = 91 litres = 66kg

Col

I saw it, win, and commented on it in another thread.

I would make a similar comment about the Skycatcher in the Australian Flying article: they stated that their flight was with a crew weight of 180 kg and 40 kg of fuel after referrring to the "average empty weight of 379 kg". I wonder if they looked at the actual empty weight for that aeroplane when they went flying:

• that 379 kg figure has been in the specs since before production so cannot be honestly claimed as an average weight - I guess that you may expect that for a basic aircraft with no options. Options always add weight.

• I should check but I believe that the 379 does not include unusable fuel and oil. Add more weight.

• I had a look at that aeroplane at Avalon and looked at the approved empty weight statement in the POH - from memory, the actual empty weight of that aeroplane was significantly above 379. Note that the article refers to options such as wheel fairings and extra MFD whch were on this aeroplane

I also had a look at the Sportscruiser at Avalon and was pointed to a placard on the panel when I asked about empty weight - nil response to my query as to whether it was actual for that aeroplane and included oil etc - some excuse why I couldn't see the POH to look at a bit of paper which some-one may have signed to certify the actual empty weight.

I wonder how the Savage Cub goes wrt actual empty weight?

Thanks for reminding me - I must check my ticket - if I win I'll let you fly mine.

OK...I'll take the bait and defend the honour of the Savage Cruiser...

I should say first-up that the Carbon Cub looks like a fantastic aircraft; the takeoff and climb performance is astounding. However, even with the 600 kg Max All Up Weight, the extra 'empty weight' and 90l fuel tank would bring the useable payload down to about 114kg. Enough for me and ummmm... not a lot more.

Here's the comparison of the Carbon Cub (from the figures in the magazine) and the Savage Cruiser (actual aircraft figures).

Carbon Cub:

Maximum All Up Weight - 599kg

Aircraft Empty Weight - 423kg

Maximum Fuel Load - 63kg

Usable payload (Pax and Luggage) - 114kg

Savage Cruiser:

Maximum All Up Weight - 560kg

Aircraft Empty Weight - 307kg

Maximum Fuel Load - 45kg

Usable payload (Pax and Luggage) - 208kg

So, in fairness, it's not quite comparing apples to apples. I'd love to have the option of carrying extra fuel and higher cruise speed because, at times I have found 64l and 80kts to be range-limiting. However, the fact is that (for me at 100kg) the Carbon Cub would be a single-seat aircraft. Even with no fuel, as a low-performance glider) I'd struggle to be able to fly with anyone in the back seat.

Note (happy to be corrected if the following is not accurate):

1. LSA aircraft can be registered up to 600kg MAUW... IF certified to that weight by the Airworthiness Authority (aircraft manufacturer). This likely explains the difference in MAUW between the two aircraft. My version of the Savage Cruiser will never be certified for anything above 560kg (but this may not be true for later models).

2. The LSA Category limits that Coljones quotes above, I believe are US limitations for this category. For example, there is no speed limit for LSA aircraft in Australia.

3. The Cruiser is prettier... (but I'm allowed to be biased).

• Like 1

OK...I'll take the bait ......................snip

snip

snip .........................

2. The LSA Category limits that Coljones quotes above, I believe are US limitations for this category. For example, there is no speed limit for LSA aircraft in Australia.

3. The Cruiser is prettier... (but I'm allowed to be biased).

The converted speed for the Carbon Cub is 120 Knots (I am not sure if that is Vne or Va). The sustained power backoff required on the Cub seems a little big - but I am just a dirt poor Jabaru boy:outback:.

Col

It's got to be a fun plane. The Piper Super Cub was always a special aircraft. I think at it's build weight (Carbon Cub), it is overpowered with the 180HP engine and could exist ( without being such a "hotrod) even with the Lycoming 0--233 and the 160 HP motor (320.)also. You would get a weight saving and a better fuel consumption (range), with the smaller engines. My Citabria had a Lyc 0-235 at 115 hp and went at 92 knots at 25 Litres per hour, with an AUW of 750 kgs. Overpowering a draggy plane only gives you a shorter take-off distance and higher rate of climb, and service ceiling. To utilise it's extra cruise speed capability is not economical. Nev

Oh... Forgot to mention. It was a magnificently written article too. Well researched and put together. Another example of the great work the new Magazine production team are doing. Well done, keep up the good work

• Like 2

Oh... Forgot to mention. It was a magnificently written article too. Well researched and put together. Another example of the great work the new Magazine production team are doing. Well done, keep up the good work

G'Day Paul, how's your red beauty?- getting more love down south. Loved my time in her and $ for $ a much more realistic RA aircraft than the $200k eye candy that we can only dream about. If there's one thing time in aviation teaches you- it's to be a realist!

Very true and and I should have said this at the opening of this thread... I did enjoy the latest Magazine...

OK...I'll take the bait and defend the honour of the Savage Cruiser....

Honor has not to be won; it must only not be lost” and I wasn't intending to take away its honour. The Savage Cub that I flew was lighter than yours but not as pretty, Paul. Quite a useful aeroplane. Not as useful as facthunter's 7ECA of course.

Honor has not to be won; it must only not be lost” and I wasn't intending to take away its honour. The Savage Cub that I flew was lighter than yours but not as pretty, Paul. Quite a useful aeroplane. Not as useful as facthunter's 7ECA of course.

Ballpoint... djpacro... yes, she is pretty and she is a lady, which means I must treat her with the utmost respect and care. In return, she keeps me safe and only occasionlly slaps me to keep me in my place.

Yes Ballpoint, she lives in Lilydale now; a fantastic airfield on the edge of Melbourne... just on the other side of the Glenburn Gap if you are heading this way.