Airsick Pax

DarkSarcasm

See. You are all talking about the fear of getting airsick. That's the real thing to get over for most airsickness victims. Even experienced old salts get sick at times, but they don't get sick just heading out of port.

OME

With all due deference, you lot are missing the mark by miles. Forget ginger. Forget desensitising. Just tell him that your last boyfriend chucked five times per flight and was tough enough to come back for more... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• Like 1

Darky, I can sympathize, I get airsickness at times, and those that say it's psychological are largely right I think. An example of this is the second last solo I did before I get signed off.

Myself and the cfi did some efato drills, landed, he got out, told me to go off for an hour. So off i went... Was a pretty rough day, plenty of pot holes in the sky. I could feel myself starting to feel sick (straight after I though "geez hope I don't get sick"). Flew for another 5 mins or, thinking about whether I could tough it out. Decided to err on the side of caution and had back to the aerodrome. As soon as I made that decision and started preparing to enter he circuit, and actually actively started using my brain, I felt better... By the time I had landed and taxied back, I felt right as rain.

As for nausea pills, I sometimes take blackmores travel calm ginger pills. They seem to work, or the placebo affect does. Either way, gets the desired effect.

As for nausea pills, sometimes take blackmores

• Like 1

Hiya Darky,

I still get airsick when flying, so I've got a pretty good idea of what works and what doesnt. First of all though, if he can handle sea sickness he'll get over the airsickness eventually. What the others have said about short flights and the fear of sickness is spot on.

What works for a lot of people:

Kwells. These things are fantastic, take as directed and your immune to pretty much anything. I've also been told by some Navy friends to take them the night before, then smaller dosages at the specified (on the pack) interval up to the flight. I havn't tried that. Don't take as a pilot obviously.

What works for some people:

Ginger. see the mythbusters episode. Travelcalm sells ginger motion sickness tablets that are available at pretty much any chemist. For me they help, but they won't stop the yak. Having a ginger beer hours before the flight would be a good idea.

Regular travelcalms. Slightly more effective than the ginger, but not by a lot.

Sea bands. these are elastic wrist band things that press on a pressure point that, theoretically, reduce nausea. helps a little bit.

What works best:

Flights in good calm flying conditions. Aim for either early morning or early evening, on days when there isn't much wind and not much cloud around. Avoid very hot days (lots of thermals). Do everything you can to avoid turbulance. Try and fly over flat grassland, rather than over a city or over forest. Definately avoid hills/mountains. The air over a city or forest rises in a very uneven manner, leading to bumpiness. Similairly the air passing over a hill or mountain forms waves of rising and falling air, which is great for the gliding guys, not so much for somebody who yaks. Get him to look forwards out of the plane, not out the side windows (I'll explain that further below).

You can also try giving him something to do - make a turn onto a heading and then get him to hold the stick and fly towards that "hill in front of us" or something - that'll get him doing something with his hands and looking out the window, rather than at all the pretty dials. It also gives you time to do your paperwork, figure out corrected times etc. very handy.

Don't do:

Fly topless. He'll spend his whole time with his head sideways looking at the "scenary", which is pretty much the absolute worst position to be in when you hit some turbulent air. His ears will tell him plane is rolling in a corkscrew motion that is completely different to what his eyes will see. This triggers an instant-yak (i.e no warning, can't get to the bag in time) reaction in a lot of people, and unfortunatley it'll pointing at you. The only advantage to this situation is that he'll have enjoyed the rest of the flight so far too much to care. Oh, and you'll have less clothes to wash.

• Like 1