Airsick Pax

DarkSarcasm

Hi all,

I'm looking for tips about how to deal with airsick pax and, mainly, try to prevent it or help them get used to it. My boyfriend gets airsick, which is kind of unfortunate since I'm a pilot, and while he's keen to come flying, I always feel terrible (and nervous for the fate of me having to clean the aircraft) when he starts feeling airsick partway through the flight. He's reluctant to try airsickness pills in case they make it worse.

Does anyone have tips about how to deal with, or preferably, prevent airsickness? I always carry sick bags, and have air vents open and try to fly smoothly etc, but if anyone has tips, I'd welcome them.

are particularly fond of this boyfriend?

but seriously the only thing I can think of is very short flights in perfect weather and then gradually increasing the duration. I went through a stage during nav lessons where I would start to feel a bit off, I think due to looking down at maps, I found that ginger tablets provided some relief without side effects.

I know the problem well, having been airsick myself on many occassions years ago. You seem to be doing everything right, so the only other suggestion would be to keep your flights fairly short and land again well before he becomes airsick. Tell him in advance that the flight will only be five or ten minutes then land and have a break or leave it until another day. Gradually build up the time and you will find that he will overcome the problem. Do not fly UNTIL he feels sick but always land before he gets the feeling.

It may take some time but it will pay off. There are tablets that can help without making him feel worse but not having had to use them now for many years they would no doubt have changed. I'm sure there are others on this site who can help you with good remedies.

Alan Marriette.

Darky,

As a victim of airsickness, I can commiserate with your other half, especially since he is keen to share the love of flying with you. By now he has probably progressed from airsickness itself, to the fear of getting air sick. That is what you need to combat now.

First thing is to eat light, low fat, low meat meals before flying. Throw in a change of clothes and some soap when you head off to the airport, or buy him a pair of white overalls and sew aviation badges onto them to make them his 'flying suit'. The next thing is to carry readily accessible water and a damp hand towel. Finally have barff bags readily available, and a tube of toothpaste. That takes care of the situation if the failure of the desensitizing process.

The second thing to do is to control his fear of getting airsick. He has to realise that his condition is psychological, and therefore he can control his emotions. This control comes from practice. Also, he has to know that he can control the situation he finds himself in, to some extent. That means that as soon as he tells you that he is starting to get airsick, get back on the ground as soon.

The first step of the desensitizing process is to make him at home in the cockpit. Go sit in the plane with him and fly some imaginary circuits. Try to see if you can make each imaginary circuit last for as long as a real one does. Talk to him while you 'fly' these circuits so he knows exactly what is being done and what the plane is doing. After listening to your patter for a while, give him a go at "flying" a circuit or two. If he's occupied, he can't think about up-chucking. Finish off the imaginary flights and go home.

Next step involves you flying an imaginary circuit with the patter, then he flies one. If he gets it correct, light the fires and go do a circuit ( including patter) with a full stop landing and return to the parking area. Get out of the plane and take a walk. If he feels OK at the end of the walk, go do another full stop circuit, park and walk. Take a long break. Depending on how long it takes you to travel from your home to your airport, you might hang around and do another full stop circuit or two before you go home.

The third step involves the imanginary, followed by a full stop, park and walk. If all is OK, get back in and do one touch and go followed by a full stop, park and walk. After a bit of a break, back into it again and do two touch and goes, followed by a full stop, park and walk. Keep increasing the number of touch and goes in each set until he can handle an hour of touch and goes before the full stop, park and walk.

You have to keep up the patter all the time so he is distracted. If your patter is good, he might like to follow you through all the control inputs as you fly around the circuit. You might show him some 'hands off' flying, but he might be a bit fearful and keep hold of the stick while you show him ;-)

After he can handle an hour of circuits, plan a day where you can do a couple of ten minute out, ten minute back, full stop and walk flights. Just keep them nice and gentle cruise type flights. That should be about a half hour flight in total, so by the time you come to do them, he should be comfortable in the plane and starting to forget that he has a fear of getting airsick.

One last thing. If, in the early stages of the desensitizing, he has a big upchuck, get him cleaned up, get the taste out of his mouth, have a good cup of tea (possibly black with sugar), and after a rest continue from where you left off. I have found that once I have had a technicolor yawn and freshened up, I don't seem to get airsick for the rest of the day.

I hope this might help your boyfriend. If it does, I will require delivery of your first-born male child.065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

Old Man Emu

• Like 1

I understand some people swear by ginger, maybe there is something in it or maybe it is a placebo effect, but why not give that a try too, and make sure you tell him it is a failsafe way, ginger always helps. Maybe ginger beer. He'll feel more confident then, because right now he's talking himself into being sick. He thinks "I get airsick", so he does get airsick. So he needs to really believe "Flying used to affect me but it doesn't anymore, now I love it, I can't wait to get airborne, it makes me feel euphoric."

(Maybe whisper that into his ear every night until he believes it!) :big_grin:

Either that or say flying is actually a girl's thing, you totally understand if he can't handle it. That's OK, he can stay home and bake some scones for you for when you return. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Like 3

You have to keep up the patter all the time so he is distracted. If your patter is good, he might like to follow you through all the control inputs as you fly around the circuit.Old Man Emu

Fly Topless... that should distract him much better than any "patter"004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif....

white or yellow gold, solitare or cluster type of honour Darks...(Get with the program city girl!....035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif)

Pfft, he can't afford my honour! :big_grin:

Either that or say flying is actually a girl's thing, you totally understand if he can't handle it. That's OK, he can stay home and bake some scones for you for when you return. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Well, it is the truth 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Good article on travel sickness here http://www.mydr.com.au/pharmacy-care/travel-sickness-self-care

I found it useful to get the passenger to concentrate on a point far away (keeps them occupied and gets the movement sensors more in tune with the aircraft movement) cool air and maybe some looking for a town, or other feature.

Sue

I hope you get around it Darky,My girl suffers terribly from airsickness to a point where she no longer flies.I think part of it is being afraid of chucking so it brings it on. A shame as I love flying but the last time we both went it only took 10 mins before it happened. Please let me know if you crack it.

Best wishes Dave