Reno crash

Exadios

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That pin head doesn't show anyone's quotes, I can't believe you can soak up such right wing mush. If anyone is going to shut down the Reno races it will be the insurance companies trying to avoid any future payouts. I doubt the people running insurance companies listen to the left wing media.

GG, you should know that the world is run by corporations not by democracies.

Guest Maj Millard

I'm sure the insurance premium is not cheap to cover a large event like that. The insurance company certainly has made a heap of dough over the years covering that event, with few if any claims that I've heard of...That's why they carry insurance in the first place, to guard against excessive cost because of an accident like this..........................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Last thing I read in the media was a class action being started by a law form to chase the $100M public liability amount that the event has.

http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011109220339

If the race assoc. can't afford the new premium that's the end of the races, its about $350K. If the insurance companies are forced to payout the premium will be proportional to the payout.

Guest Maj Millard

I'm sure the Reno Air Race Assoc (RARA) would have a bit of dough behind them by now, however the $100 mil public liability coverage does sound a little slim in the current situation....................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif051_crying.gif.edc6b33a234e272ee13f0ec0ae40b12a.gif

I was under the impression that the race association is running at break even or at a loss for the last few years. It might have been me arriving and departing via train at most cities but the economic decline in the US was really obvious.

Here are a handful of the articles from various American liberal media outlets calling for / implying the need of a ban on airshows or 'more regulations' (code for the same). I love it how a journalist can "call for something" as if their opinion somehow means anything more than the next persons.

Toronto Star

Sacramento Bee

Huffington Post

The Ledger

New York Times

Yahoo

Guest Maj Millard

The Sacramento Bee is pretty well regarded, and well read in that part of the world, being that Sacramento is the California State capital.....................................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

The ongoing issue for Reno is convincing the FAA that the heavily modified 68 yr old planes have still got a reasonable degree of safety. Assuming that the air race association can afford the insurance to go racing again.

The ongoing issue for Reno is convincing the FAA that the heavily modified 68 yr old planes have still got a reasonable degree of safety. Assuming that the air race association can afford the insurance to go racing again.

You'd have to look hard to find a 68 yo part. This is all about design qualifications and maintenance.

The Trim tab, elevator, horizontal stabiliser set-up it not adequate for the variation in angle of attack changes in that race, with tight turns right on the stall (dynamic) and low angle of attack high speed run situations changing quickly. Pitch control is the most important of all. If you lose it you die. You can do without the other(s) (one at a time).. The P-51 is an old design. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

The P-51 was a very advanced design for it's day with it's new (then) laminar-flow wing. It was one of the first US designed fighters to be extensivly tested in a wind-tunnel. It was a high-speed wing with good high-speed manouverabilty.

When they arrived on the European theater they were a match for anything the Germans had in numbers, including the FW190 and Bf 109 which were the two main threats to watch out for then.....................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Walk around a Mustang next time you get the chance, and study it. Like the DC-3..there's not a bad angle, and you just don't get bored with looking at it !.................like a really beautifull woman come to think of it !..................................................:thumb_up:024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

The gold class umlimited mustangs where significantly faster than the stock mustangs. Stega qualified @ 499 and the slowest mustang was 344. You can't help but wonder how close the unlimiteds are to their airframe limits. Considering that they are spending $8-10,000 a lap with most of that going into the engines