What Brand Of Fuel Do You Use?

Admin

Which brand of fuel do you prefer to use in your aircraft?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand of fuel do you prefer to use in your aircraft?

• Shell
    • Caltex
    • Mobil
    • Ampol
    • Other - please say in a post

Hi All

I would like to ascertain what brand of fuel you would prefer to use in your aircraft - and any comments on why you prefer that brand.

Guest Teenie2

In Sydney I believe it nearly all comes from the caltex refinery (except some of the super premium fuels)

BP Ultimate 98 RON.

Shell optimax never runs too well with my Bike, and i have never had problems with BP fuels, even through my time as a professional driver in Syd.

I will NEVER use a fuel from an independent station..

Guest brentc

The fuel from the United independent petrol station that I sometimes use comes straight from the Shell refinery!

The BP fuel at Moorabbin comes straight from the Mobil distributor 50 metres across the taxi-way!

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Ian,

Mobil premium unleaded.

A couple of years ago, RAAus reported that some members had experienced problems with shell optimax....seals were reportedly not standing up too well.

JL

Guest pelorus32
The fuel from the United independent petrol station that I sometimes use comes straight from the Shell refinery!The BP fuel at Moorabbin comes straight from the Mobil distributor 50 metres across the taxi-way!

Hi Brent,

the problem I've had with Liberty/United et al in cars is not where the fuel comes from but the crap in the bottom of their tanks. I've had so many tanks of rubbish fuel that I've given up on them.

Regards

Mike

Trouble is though Paul, if you have shopped at Woollie's/Safeway you have already paid for the petrol savings at the checkout...(according to Today Tonight)

Yeah I know, that's why I scrounge the dockets from their bins 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif.

Paul

For the plane I use Shell Avgas because I have a Shell card. For mu vehicles I use Caltex mainly. I did use BP diesel a few years ago and had to replace the seals in the injector pump.

I don't think any refiner is immune from problems. Remember Mobil's problem with Avgas.

Guest Teenie2

Hope everyone knows not to use shell optimax ,It seems it can dissolve certain types of rubber + can react to I think it was brass or bronze. If you buy a new motorcycle (Yamaha ,Suzuki , some honda)the warranty is void if you use optimax. Shell is in the process of removing optimax (or renaming? ).

I also have a Shell card for mogas only which I find is extremely competitive as it dosn't matter where you buy your fuel it is fixed at city prices. As for avgas, BP as it is in drums locally but if I'm travelling Shell as it's a bit more common. If you are using mogas in your aircraft motor always give it first the very simple ethanol content test because don't beleive what they tell you they do slip a bit in here and there. No point being up there wishing you were down on the ground because your motor is running like a hairy goat over tiger country due to the ethanol in your fuel attracting more moisture than your motor likes.

Rick

Avgas for the Jab. Shell is the airfield supplier.

We also have a mobil card for the aircraft

And in my vehicles any brand that I have tested to contain no ethanol and then generally fuel up at the same place

• 1 year later...
Guest rxbrumby

I use 100LL avgas from airfield and BP ultimate in my plane, I use BP 99% of the time as I have one of those BP visa cards and get a discount on it. I have also found that it is Ethanol free with no impurities. I also run it in my Turbocharged subaru brumby ute(hence the rxbrumby name)I tend to have problems with other brands(espcially a certain food chain brand) If I cant get BP I will use mobil.

I use Mobil Premium, simply because this is the servo nearest to the airfield.

I do pump mine through an aviation grade filter though. For those of you who don't you would be surprised how much rubbish is filtered out. I have found Caltex, BP and Shell to be no different in this respect.

Cheers

• 2 years later...
Guest bushcaddy pilot

BP Ultimate or Avgas, was told by the service attendant at shell that there premium contained E crud. Best part is BP is on way to strip anyway.

For the plane I use Shell Avgas because I have a Shell card. For mu vehicles I use Caltex mainly. I did use BP diesel a few years ago and had to replace the seals in the injector pump.I don't think any refiner is immune from problems. Remember Mobil's problem with Avgas.

Off thread a bit, but i only use Caltex Diesel, in my Nissan Patrol.Its been great.