LIGHT! 12 volt battery for Drifter?

Given the increasingly rapid rate of growth and development of electrical power and power sources, could anyone please advise of their best and latest recommendations for the lightest yet DEFINITELY fully functional 12 volt battery for continued use in a 582 Drifter.

Guessing Gel Cell is the go? ... But which one?

Just doing research!

Cheers,

Tex

I have 250hrs on a standard supercheap auto 17aH SLA battery, no problems. ($110 vs 200-300 for the gell.) Also run a small battery in circuit to take any peaks out of the line for my radio but itr is not really required. (good for recharging mobiles at Temora etc).

Are you allowed to use lithium in Aircraft?

This little baby is:

4.5"L x 3.0W x 4.0 Tall (114mm x 76 x 100mm) weighing 2.4lb (1.089kg)

equivalent to 12AH with 450 Pulse, 360 CCA. $199 USD.

Hi Tex l run two 2AH batteries from super cheap they are $26.00 each ,each one weighs 890 grms,

l have mounted them under the fuel tank fits great ,l run miroair radio intercom plus landing light .

this all runs on my 503 xp drifter.

cheers Geoff

Motobat MBTX14U, 16AH, Sealed AGM, 135L x 90W x 168H, 5kg. Four terminals gives flexibility of fitting. $120 (plus freight?).

I replaced the original battery in my Foxbat (912ULS) with one 18 months ago and have had no problems so far. Bought from a motor cycle shop so should be readily available. Google the part no. if interested.

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks Geoff and Jeff. Yes Geoff that was my next option moving it back there but was trying to avoid that if at all possible. I have other plans for that spot.

Think I am going to order one of those Antigravity ones and give it a go. Not cheap but it will save having to move things around and will be a saving of at least 3kg on the nose. Got a connection coming back from US next week if it is OK for baggage then all systems go.

• 3 weeks later...

When we changed over to the E box on the 503 we used a Deka (not sure of the model) which has plenty of cranking amps. Weight was around 5kg which offset the extra on the gearbox and I still need 5kg ballast in the nose.

cheers John

I recently spotted a poster at a regional airport stating the restrictions placed on taking litium batteries on board passenger aircraft. Anything above 160 Watt.Hours energy capacity was a no-go and could not go on the plane at all.

At 12 volts x 12 Amp.Hours (144 Watt.Hours) your friend may be able to take it on board as hand baggage and not as check-in luggage if that part of my memory is correct. Though there may be different rules in the USA.

Since the poster and hence I assume the legislation only referred to litium batteries, I'm not sure if there are any similar restrictions on taking NiMH batteries on Pax (RPT) aircraft.

Thanks eastmeg2...I went searching for some more info after I got the message about them being not allowed on as checked baggage. That rings true across the board for RPT but you can carry on under the specs you mention generally 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif, however, it is still pretty unclear as it is usually mentions 'stored' in the device, and one spare battery 'for the device'. Not specific to stand alone battery 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif anyway to save any dramas I had it freighted over and customs have held it for a week or so, just released yesterday. I expected it to be held up in customs as the lithium shows a return on the scan that resembles 'organic material' (maybe ordering it from Columbia had something to do with it as well 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif)

I was a little concerned about the Rotax specifying minimum 16ah (as req 16amp charge rate) and it being 12amp but I understand it has a tested 5c charge capacity/ability though that is not recommended at all, 16 is fine.

• 7 months later...

So long as we're talking lithium batteries, check out the section on them at hobbyking.com - a large retailer for remote control airplanes. Most RC planes nowdays use lithium polymer battery packs and a pack such as you are talking about would cost maybe $100 posted.

Furthermore, I would try and advocate the Lithium Phosphor Ferrous (or LiFe) chemistry for vehicle use as it is more stable over the longterm and does not need to be kept at storage voltage etc. They have longer cycle lives, too, at the expense of maximum output and charge rate. Still, I would feel comfortable using one of half to one-third the rating of a lead-acid battery in a vehicle... providing the startup current was sufficient.

Maximum draw rate on these batteries is in 'C', where 'C' is a multiple on the total capacity of the battery. For example a 10Ah battery with a rating of 1C max discharge would put out 10 amps, 2C = 20 amps and so on. Lithium Ferrous are currently around 30C and Lithium Polymer are 60C+... good old lead acid struggle to get to 3C and will have dramatically reduced capacity at such rates. Most LiFe/LiPo batteries will retain at least 90% capacity at stated maximums.

One last thing... if looking at RC type batteries always ignore the 'burst' rating. It is not calculated to a set standard and will generally lead to the early degradation of the pack if used regularly. Also, much like lead acid, LiFe/LiPo batteries do not like being fully discharged and will tolerate an 80% maximum discharge only. This is generally around 3.0v/cell static, most feel comfortable with 3.3v/cell static. Permenant and irreversible damage starts to occur at and below 3.0v/cell.

Cheers - boingk

Thanks Geoff and Jeff. Yes Geoff that was my next option moving it back there but was trying to avoid that if at all possible. I have other plans for that spot.Think I am going to order one of those Antigravity ones and give it a go. Not cheap but it will save having to move things around and will be a saving of at least 3kg on the nose. Got a connection coming back from US next week if it is OK for baggage then all systems go.

I wonder if Ian could order these in bulk (cheaper?) and then sell then through Clear Prop?