Instructor Rating Done - Finally

JimG

Well if anyone had asked me in feb 2008 after my first solo in a Drifter if one day I'd be the Instructor and not the student, I'm sure i would have just laughed.

What have I done.....

It all started in March this year when I made a choice between PPL or RAA instructor rating . The Instructor course won for a few reason but mainly I had a sense that the challenge and responsibility of teaching someone how to fly an aeroplane would be very rewarding...!

So after 7 months , 20.7 hrs of fairly intense flying training and 32 hrs of briefing (lots more really) lots of study and an exam , I can finally say I'm done.

What to do now, here's the plan and it's not a secret, I'll be knocking on all the doors of FTF's in my corner of the world to hopefully get some hours to remain current and build on this experience.

Cheers

JimG

• Like 1

Thanks All for those replies and well wishes...most appreciated

Facthunter, you are absolutely correct, my CFI ( ag Pilot ) has shown me plenty of those rabbits and I've had to find a couple myself . His favourite saying "if any doubt, thats your answer, don't do it" identifying the doubt is the no. 1 thing for me!

Retired Racer , yeap as always ,keen to get started too.

Guernsey, in the RAA Ops manual , as an RAA pilot and not qualified in instructing in other types (like sail plane ) the minimum experience is to have 75 hrs PIC and have a PAX , X/country ,and Radio endorsements, with other basic requirements.

cheers

JimG

JimG,

One thing you will find as time goes on, is how sharp your flying becomes, i obviously was very nervious for the first couple of students, but then you relax, as you know you can get the sh*t straighten out if you need too, you dont need to be contstantly "hovering" over the controls, which does make the student nervious too i found, if you can sit back and "act" relaxed it really does help the student, i thought back about 6 months ago, and the instructing really does make you a better pilot, much better in some areas, i still need to work other areas though :)

Bones

Hi Bones, thanks for the tips , I'm keen to get on with some real flight training and i do hope that becoming a better , more accurate pilot will be the side effect/benifit of instructing.

Cheers

JimG

I had a sense that the challenge and responsibility of teaching someone how to fly an aeroplane would be very rewarding...!So after 7 months , 20.7 hrs of fairly intense flying training and 32 hrs of briefing (lots more really) lots of study and an exam , I can finally say I'm done.

Cheers,JimG

011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Frank.

Thanks F T , Frank and Dave.

Dave , yes I remember meeting you although i don't remember which briefing that was. The CFI always invites whoever was around at the time to sit in on my practise briefing , at one he had 6 other people, all experienced pilots, talk about pressure . The purpose i suppose is to get used to stage pressure ........great fun though..!

All the best for your course , i hope you find it as fulfilling as i did. I 'll most likely see you around again as I'm going to be helping out with Drifter students , who knows , probably sit in on your briefings too.

cheers

JimG