New Name and New Server

Admin

Hi and welcome to our new site Aircraft Pilots (.com)...formally called Recreational Flying...and on our new powerful server that is ready to add great resources here for all pilots.

After a long 8 years of providing a great resource to all recreational aviators we have extended the site to all forms of aviation and thus ALL Aircraft Pilots. So not only will you receive all the normal help and support that you have been use to on Recreational Flying but also now encompassing all GA (General Aviation) pilots as well because we are ALL Aircraft Pilots.

There is still some work to do on changing the areas that refer to Recreational Flying but I wanted to just simply replicate the Recreational Flying site so you are familiar with what you have been using up till now. Over the coming weeks I will begin to introduce some great enhancements that I hope you will find useful and together, all of us being Aircraft Pilots, we can continue to share our experiences, pass on to each other the knowledge that we have gained by our flying endeavours all without any barriers of what we fly...whether it be a microlight trike or a Cessna 210...it is all the same and we can support each other as we are ALL Aircraft Pilots!

• Like 8

No mate...we have come up to your standard...or is that we are ALL the same standard and now we can consider us all the same...but then they say, the only difference between a man and a boy, is the price of his toys...in that case you are an OLD MAN 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 2

Guest Howard Hughes

My standard? In that case you better call it 'Aircraft Drivers'...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

PS: I am lucky to have someone give me nice new toys, but I'd still rather a millenium, I mean Blackshape!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Looks Great Ian, You can now relax and take a Christmas break!!Cheers

I might start with going to bed first 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif...it took all night to move everything over to the new server...just one of the databases has over 1.2million entries in it (Posts, Threads, Users, Conversations etc) and is 400meg...all the site files zipped up are over 1.3gig...oh shoot, just realised the airstrips database hasn't been moved over yet...bed will have to wait but thanks for the compliment.

Howard, didn't your mother ever teach you to SHARE YOUR TOYS...I'm coming up to play

• Like 1

Hey Guys and Gals, I know I keep plugging this but how about at least considering coughing up $50 for Ian this Christmas for all he is doing and become a First Class Member at the same time, if finances don't allow I'm sure any contribution would prove helpfull.

No negative comments please, just do what your heart tells you.

Alan.

• Like 1

Thanks Guernsey..Greatly appreciated and boy, do I need it as well. This is always the worst time of the year with hosting costs, software license annual fees etc etc etc plus it's Christmas and those attributed costs...Incidentally, I haven't worked in a paying job for over a year now, with the site what time would I have to work anyway but please, if anyone has a job out there for a slightly used person then please let me know...even if it is not in IT or just for a period of time to get my bills paid, I would be very grateful...thanks

To be honest I preferred the tighter focus on recreational aviation... Why? Well, several years ago I stumbled on this site whilst searching for anything to do with our category of aviation.. I looked at, but didnt engage with, the general and commerical aviation sites because I was a member of a specific interest group and wanted to exchange with like people - and to feel part of that community - a subset of aviation. And, since then, this site and service has more than met my expectations and my needs. However, I think it's likely that others new to rec. flying might not see this site for what it is (or was, at least) when they do a general search and find a portal and forum with such a generic name as "aircraft pilots".

With that title and the sub - 'the home of pilots, aircraft and aviation' - the focus will change and over time it is going to take a lot more weeding to get to the stuff that I am interested in. That label, after all, covers a miriad of layers of the industry, including RAAus & HGFA (3 axis, 2 axis, gyros), Gliding, GA (3 axis, helicopter), Commercial passenger, freight, courier, agricultural, etc.. (3 axis, helicopter) and the Forces - RAAF, Army, Navy airwings.. and all the equivalents outside of Australia. I think in time the site will be barely recognisable for what it was.. and that will be a loss..

Thanks guys for your "very" valid comments...it is so bloody hard to try and keep as many people as possible happy and I always have the feeling that I am getting pulled in all different directions which in itself causes a huge amount of uncertainty why results in constant switching back and forth. What you have said is a very valid point and so much so that I will give both of you a ring and have a chat as there are some other reasons, strategic, for the change which will come to light in due course.

PLEASE, if any one else has comments like this on anything to do with the site then speak up so I can gauge your thoughts and do what I can to help!