Bad mag wire contributes to crash

Admin

Ian,I am getting an error on this link

Ian,

I am still getting this message when I attempt to open this link, I have tried logging out and back in to no avail:

Aircraft Pilots - Error

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Hard to understand how an engine failure can end in a steep bank crashing into trees????

I dunno about these aircraft.Im still getting over the crash that killed John Denver.In his crash it was suspected (FAA) that he pushed in a rudder pedal by accident, leaning back to turn a fuel selector knob which was located on the rear fire wall.Not standard apparently to the home built plans.The original builder was worried about running the fuel line inside the cockpit to the front. Anyway this probably has nothing whats so ever to do with the above mentioned crash.I though I better mention it anyway.

Guest Maj Millard

dazza, your summary of JDs' crash is pretty close to what happened. However if he had taken time to put some fuel in it before the flight, he wouldn't have run that tank dry, and the following deadly chain of events wouldn't have happened.

In a way I can sympathize with him a bit, as I did several night navs to Monterey Airport about that time, when I was getting my GA PPL at nearby San Carlos Airport.

Unless you were in a learjet or Gulfstream V, it was always a pain to get the fueler at Monterey. A couple of times we just left and went elsewhere, in our piddly C172.

Still no excuse to do what he did in retrospec. Additionally even though JD had a lot of time in a lot of things, he had only an hour or two in the Long-eze, and it is a classic case highlighting the dangers of operating in an unfamiliar aircraft.

David, Ican't understand why you can't see why he would end up in a steep bank, into trees. Pilots can do strange things when the noise stops at times. I would imagine he was manouvering at low level, to get into a suitable spot, or to avoid an obstacle. In a nutshell it ended up being an uncontrolled crash and fire. If instead he had continued straight ahead, got switches and fuel off, it could have been a slower controlled descent and flare into trees, which may have been survivable....................................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

On the subject of single mag leads. You did see them on some older aircraft. Two mags, two P leads going to one lead, so any redundancy with the two mags is lost when the one lead grounds out by chaffing. About as stupid as the twin mag pack with the single drive cog, and a nylon one at that. They got the nickname 'deathmags' for a reason !....Magneto P leads as they are called, are basically a grounding lead which renders the mag inoperative with the switches off. The Rotax 912 ignition moduals are grounded out in similiar fashion.

Because they are 'just ground leads' they often don't get the care and attention they deserve. As it appears in this case, if they chaff or deteriorate they can cause a sudden engine stoppage by grounding out the ignition system when they shouldn't..............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

No we don't facthunter, however most have either the O 200/235 or 320 in them, but it is possibly another engine could have been used. (VW ?)

A lot only run one traditional mag, and an electronic ign system so there would be some redundancy there with two totaly different systems.

For the engine to stop completely both systems would have to be grounded out, so the finding suggest a single grounding wire at some point in the system, or some other cause resulting in engine stoppage.................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif