Hi from Norfolk UK

G-OMER

Welcome Gary, brings back a few memories for me also. As an RAF Cadet I was lucky to be in the co-pilots seat of an Avro Anson doing low flying along the Norfolk Broads around 1954. We flew out from East Derham.

Alan.

Hi, Just joinedCheers

Gary

Hi Gary,

I was at East Anglia University in the early 1970s, and was at the Halls of Residence at Fifer's Lane just by the airfield! Wow - takes me back! I remember many times going into Norwich for a few bevvies....(don't remember getting back 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif ....)

Moved out to Aus about 14 years ago now and learnt to fly here.

Good to hear you are flying there in sunny Blighty!

Cheers

Neil

Welcome Gary, brings back a few memories for me also. As an RAF Cadet I was lucky to be in the co-pilots seat of an Avro Anson doing low flying along the Norfolk Broads around 1954. We flew out from East Derham.Alan.

Welcome ftom me, also, Gary. I am sure you will enjoy the often robust discussions here and hopefully will be a regular cntributor to our collective knowledge.

Hey Alan, I guess you know about the Avro Ansons that collided and remained stuck together at Brocklesby near Albury and were landed by the sole remaining pilot on board after everyone else bailed out? An engine from one is mounted outside the RSL at Brock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Brocklesby_mid-air_collision

kaz

Welcome ftom me, also, Gary. I am sure you will enjoy the often robust discussions here and hopefully will be a regular cntributor to our collective knowledge.Hey Alan, I guess you know about the Avro Ansons that collided and remained stuck together at Brocklesby near Albury and were landed by the sole remaining pilot on board after everyone else bailed out? An engine from one is mounted outside the RSL at Brock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Brocklesby_mid-air_collision

kaz

Hi Kaz,

I had not seen that story about the colliding Ansons before - absolutely amazing! And ironic that they survived something freaky like that and then died in stupidly mundane circumstances later...

My favourite bit "As far as Fuller was concerned, the touchdown was better than any he had made when practising 'circuits and bumps' at Forest Hill airfield the previous day". LOL

Cheers

Neil

Welcome ftom me, also, Gary. I am sure you will enjoy the often robust discussions here and hopefully will be a regular cntributor to our collective knowledge.Hey Alan, I guess you know about the Avro Ansons that collided and remained stuck together at Brocklesby near Albury and were landed by the sole remaining pilot on board after everyone else bailed out? An engine from one is mounted outside the RSL at Brock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Brocklesby_mid-air_collision

kaz

Hi Kaz,

Yes I know of that incident and apparently the same thing happened to two Ansons at the Mallala airfield in SA many years ago but I believe there were no survivors from that one. As a keen aircraft spotter during my childhood and teenage years many civilian Ansons flew passengers into Guernsey from the UK the two main airlines being Morton Air Services and Olley Air Services based in Croydon. We also had DC3s, Airspeed Oxfords, DH Rapides, DH Doves and Herrons. have flown in most of them.

Old Codger Alan.

Thanks for the memories.

• Like 1

Hi Kaz,I had not seen that story about the colliding Ansons before - absolutely amazing! And ironic that they survived something freaky like that and then died in stupidly mundane circumstances later...

My favourite bit "As far as Fuller was concerned, the touchdown was better than any he had made when practising 'circuits and bumps' at Forest Hill airfield the previous day". LOL

Cheers

Neil

The locals at Brock say he was actually censured for not following standing orders to abandon his disabled ship and that the official line was he shouldn't have stayed with it. Seems harsh but I can understand that the junior service may have adopted that view of the world.

kaz

• Like 1

Greetings G-Omer. Trust you'll find this site an ongoing source of interest, information and sometimes spirited debate on all aspects of aviation. Like others, I too have old familiarities with Norfolk . Never flew anything during my three years in Gt Yarmouth but spent many hours in Bristow's old Wessex choppers going to work from Caister in the early seventies. Welcome to the forums. Cheers Riley

Well G-OMER and RILEY you have started something now. Great Yarmouth, now there's a memory. Whilst in the Air Cadets at East Derham for a week I flew three times in a Percival Prentice, including loops ( over three hours in total ), and did my one hour low flying over the Norfolk Broads in the Anson. On the Saturday we were all taken to Great Yarmouth to practice ditching recoveries in the outdoor Great Yarmouth swimming pool, however, because it was such a beautiful day our NCO's gave us the day off instead to do whatever we liked....guess what I did....I thumbed a lift to the local airfield and spent all I had left of my pocket money to do a joy flight around Great Yarmouth in an Auster. The enthusiasm of youth.

Alan Marriette.