Yarrawonga (YYWG) CLOSED between 6-20 February 2012 for Works

Guest davidh10

Guest davidh10

Due to runway widening works for RWY 01/19, the whole aerodrome will be closed for the above period.

There is a possiblilty that the works will either not take the full time estimated, or that they will take longer, hence NOTAM will be definitive.

NOTAMS will be available 240 hours prior and anyone wishing to use the aerodrome will need to check NOTAMS to ensure it is open.

During the closure:-

• Both RWY 01/19 and RWY 05/23 will be closed.

• No aircraft engine may be started or run on any public part of the aerodrome. Without limitation, this includes runways, taxiways, aircraft parking areas.

The good news is that the work will increase the width of the sealed centre strip of RWY 01/19 from the current 15m to 18m.

I've attached the Moira Shire Council letter which pertains to the above. I have not included the Management of Works Plan, as that has been physically distributed to all hangar owners.

Council-Closure-Letter-2012-02.pdf

Much as I greatly enjoy flying to YYWG, I wasn't actually planning a flight there any time between the 6th and 20th of Feb anyway. Not going to worry too much about this one. When next I do "dangle the Dunlops" and alight gently on the refurbished runway, I'll certainly appreciate the extra width - especially in the microlight!

Guest davidh10
...When next I do "dangle the Dunlops" and alight gently on the refurbished runway, I'll certainly appreciate the extra width - especially in the microlight!

You might be surprised at the reaction from some who have trained on wider runways and feel that ours is uncomfortably narrow. Of course for one microlight, it is heaps... before it was widened last year, our o5/23 dirt runway was 6m wide.

We will however appreciate the extra width when doing formation take-offs and landings. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

The reason it is being upgraded is that as a Registered Aerodrome, the runway currently does not meet the CASA requirements and thus has been operating under an exemption. As I understand it, John McCormick has given all aerodromes five years to become compliant, after which any that don't meet the requirements will lose their Registered status.

When next I do "dangle the Dunlops" and alight gently on the refurbished runway, I'll certainly appreciate the extra width - especially in the microlight!

Wide runways are good in big cross winds... 060_popcorn.gif.cda9a479d23ee038be1a27e83eb99342.gif

You might be surprised at the reaction from some who have trained on wider runways and feel that ours is uncomfortably narrow. Of course for one microlight, it is heaps... before it was widened last year, our o5/23 dirt runway was 6m wide.We will however appreciate the extra width when doing formation take-offs and landings. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

The reason it is being upgraded is that as a Registered Aerodrome, the runway currently does not meet the CASA requirements and thus has been operating under an exemption. As I understand it, John McCormick has given all aerodromes five years to become compliant, after which any that don't meet the requirements will lose their Registered status.

Hi David

It always looked pretty big to me on final... I just wish I could find the cross-strip on those days when the wind isn't north or south.

Will they make a grass strip along the verge of the black stuff do you think? Would be nice!

Are you guys going to come down to YCEM for our 50th celebration fly-in in March?

kaz

kaz

Guest davidh10
Hi DavidIt always looked pretty big to me on final... I just wish I could find the cross-strip on those days when the wind isn't north or south.

I've seen a few Austers land on runway 23 in such conditions, although if the wind is from the west, you cop mechanical turbulence from the hangers. Funnily enough, 05/23 (designated as Ultralight Operations) is now wider than the main runway.

Will they make a grass strip along the verge of the black stuff do you think? Would be nice!

Not a "grass strip" as such, but the runway will still be wider than the sealed section, so there will be some dirt to land on if people miss the black-top 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Are you guys going to come down to YCEM for our 50th celebration fly-in in March?

I haven't thought about it as yet. Not sure of anyone else's plans at this stage. It is only a week before the "Megafauna fly-away", so probably not on this occasion.

I've seen a few Austers land on runway 23 in such conditions, although if the wind is from the west, you cop mechanical turbulence from the hangers. Funnily enough, 05/23 (designated as Ultralight Operations) is now wider than the main runway.Not a "grass strip" as such, but the runway will still be wider than the sealed section, so there will be some dirt to land on if people miss the black-top 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I haven't thought about it as yet. Not sure of anyone else's plans at this stage. It is only a week before the "Megafauna fly-away", so probably not on this occasion.

Don't forget the AAA annual flyin is at Cowra on Mar 24-25 this year, too.

kaz

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davidh10
Are people using Corowa as an alternative, David?

Kaz;

I guess there's Corowa, Wangaratta and Benalla that are fairly close. I suppose what individuals do will depend on their purpose. As far as the air ambulance is concerned, they will have to use a helicopter and land in Kennedy Park.

I went for a last fly yesterday before it closed (and took my wife along). Down to the Warby Ranges, then tracked along the edge to Glenrowan, around the end toward Lake Mokoan and then home again. Peter and Anne joined us, flew in loose formation, and took some photos. Had a really quick trip down to Glenrowan and then the inevitable slow grind back against a 35kn head wind. It was a very smooth and pleasant flight and my wife, who gets airsick quite easily, enjoyed it too :-)

Driving past the aerodrome this morning, there's two graders already ripping up the edges of the runway. The contractor is going to attempt to finish several days early, so watch the NOTAMS.

Tocumwal is close too, an alternative refuelling stop normally but please note that the National Gliding Championships are on all this week - so it can be extremely busy.

As soon as the gliding is over there is likely to be some aerobatic practice for the contest later in the month - don't let that deter anyone from dropping in to refuel or watch however.

Guest davidh10

One day, I would love to fly in and watch the aeros at Toc.

Been keeping away from that direction lately due to the gliders. We have been hearing very poor radio procedure from gliders lately, when they actually use it at all. A glider nearly took out the air ambulance (Kingair) on climb out from Yarrawonga a few weeks back! No radio calls at all from the glider.

Guest davidh10
Looking forward to seeing the new section when we come up next month for the LAA fly in.-Linda

We're all looking forward to the widened runway.

Will very likely meet you during the LAA FlyIn. :-)

Guest davidh10

Well some people just think rules don't apply to them!

Since the closure there has been one glider land, and several aircraft that have been planning to land and been warned off by radio and...

This morning at about 07:00, a GA aircraft taxied around the unservicable cones that were placed across all taxiways, entered the runway and departed from directly over the white cross indicating the runway is closed.

Needless to say, the aircraft owner should expect some communication from CASA in the very near future.

P.S. Runway widening works are progressing well.

.. We have been hearing very poor radio procedure from gliders lately, when they actually use it at all. ........

50 gliders at the Nationals at Toc, many unfamiliar with the place coupled with a bit of stress so I guess some slip up and batteries can die on a long flight. It probably won't be any better with the aerobatic contest but at least we'll have people on the ground with a radio keeping an eye on everyone.

.. A glider nearly took out the air ambulance...

I guess the ATSB is aware of it. I'd been wondering about the effectiveness of PCAS for my own use.

Guest davidh10
50 gliders at the Nationals at Toc, many unfamiliar with the place coupled with a bit of stress so I guess some slip up and batteries can die on a long flight. It probably won't be any better with the aerobatic contest but at least we'll have people on the ground with a radio keeping an eye on everyone.

If that is the excuse, I guess there's three options to be lawfully compliant:-

1. Bigger battery.

2. Shorter flights.

3. Fly in areas where radio use isn't mandatory.

In the case in point, the glider would have heard the air ambulance's taxi and entering calls. He should have realised that he was in the air ambulance's flight path, and yet he maintained radio silence until the air ambulance called him after the near miss.

I guess the ATSB is aware of it. I'd been wondering about the effectiveness of PCAS for my own use.

The pilot of the Air Ambulance told the glider over the radio that he would be reported. About a week later we were hearing lots of gliders giving positions within the 10 mile local area. Clearly the Air Ambulance's report did have some effect.

PCAS should pick up other aircraft with operating Mode C transponders, but in the VFR space how many recreational aircraft have transponders? I doubt that gliders have them due to the power consumption and the FLARM is virtually a private system (AFAIK), visible only to other FLARMs

Quite possible the glider involved hadn't switched to CTAF and was still on one of the glider chat frequencies. Can happen if people only think of a CTAF area being a set distance from the airfield, not allowing for the faster aircraft.

Guest davidh10
Quite possible the glider involved hadn't switched to CTAF and was still on one of the glider chat frequencies. Can happen if people only think of a CTAF area being a set distance from the airfield, not allowing for the faster aircraft.

That is certainly one possibility.

Also probably one of the reasons that I was taught to switch to a CTAF well before arriving at the 10 mile point. If there's traffic, it gives you a chance to understand what is happening and who is where or what might be heading at you, even before you make your 10 mile call.

Guest davidh10

YYWG is OPEN again, earlier than expected.

Unfortunately, the bitumen surface could not be applied to the newly prepared width extensions due to wet aquifers that have not yet dried out. Thus it has been opened again, this afternoon, but will have to be closed again in the future to complete the bitumen works.

Ops are restricted to the sealed section in the interim. See a copy of the YYWG NOTAMs below.

YARRAWONGA (YYWG)

C52/11

RWY DECLARED DISTANCE AND GRADIENT CHANGES

RWY TODA

01 1203(5.61)

SUPPLEMENTARY TKOF DIST

RWY 01 946(1.6) 1008(1.9) 1051(2.2) 1082(2.5) 1135(3.3) 1191(5.0)

RWY 19 882(1.6) 1086(1.9) 1236(2.2)

FROM 10 060837 TO PERM

C4/12 REVIEW C57/11

RWY 01/19 OPS RESTR TO 15M SEALED SECTION

FROM 02 160243 TO 03 311300 EST

As always, you are responsible for checking NOTAMS from an authoritative source before actually flying.