Vertical Wing Laser Aerobatic Conversion... Cool or Crazy?

winsor68

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mtaviation/vertical-wing-airshow-airplane

"My name is Matt Tanner, and I am an airshow pilot. I have been flying since I was a teenager. I currently fly airshows with a plane called the Laser Z300. My team and I have designed a set of vertical wings for my airplane that will allow it to move through the air like no other aircraft has ever moved through the air before. It will be able to turn, loop, and maneuver in unprecedented ways. The vertical wings will fit onto my existing aerobatic aircraft. They each will be two part (top and bottom) wings that will fit through the normal (horizontal) wings. Future airshow fans will be able to watch something that no one has ever seen before because of these vertical wings. There is no other current aviation/airshow project that is as innovative, creative, and original as this project. I have a build team ready to make it happen, and now need the funding to build the full scale version of the wings."

it looks crap for forward visibility.

There's only one prop blade in front of the pilot FT, and that's on when it's stationary. So what is your take on 'forward visibility'?

FWIW, I'm guessing that the extra drag will nullify any benefits. Obviously, the idea is to get a better knife edge flight envelope but.................................!

looks like the structural issues will be huge.

Such big verticals will place massive loads on the wings, even just in knife edge flight. Any high G manoeuvresmay prove way too much.

I think he is flogging a deadly horse.

I vote him as a possible Darwin Award candidate

I spent some time with him recently. Photo attached is his aeroplane as it is now.

His new wing is a big and ambitious project.

Leo Loudenslager was working with Zivko on a new design at the time of his death - the aeroplane is in a museum now but some feature have been incorporated into aeroplanes flying now.

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/collection/aircraft/Loudenslager_Zivko%20Shark.asp

I wonder if Matt has seen this one: http://www.esotec.org/hbird/index.html

Incidentally, the Laser is a very nice aeroplane to fly and easy.

IMG_0758s.jpg.2850eef0a2c6e0c35bb1478a5eaf74f2.jpg

• Like 1

Ever seen a Lancaster's tail? Some work needed at the joint but there's no increase in bending moment. We had a wood spar which could take 17g. Static strength will the least of his concerns.

Perhaps we should invite him in to join the discussion.

• Like 1