Video: The FK12 Comet Biplane

djpacro

From AvWeb recently.

One thing the light sport aircraft industry doesn't have much of is biplanes and aerobats. But the F12 Comet is both. At the Sport Aivation Expo in Sebring, AVweb talked to Mike Hansen of Hansen Air Group about this German-designed East European import. Besides being the rare aerobatic LSA, it will soon be getting Lycoming's new AEIO-233, a fully aerobatic powerplant.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Guest Maj Millard

Looks good Dj....should be light and hopefully strong........I have witnessed some pretty good 'gentlemans' aerobatics' on occasions !......................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I have been following this aircraft for a while.It is interesting that the USA importers will not aerobat the aircraft (even positive G maneuvers) with the 912, because Rotax does not approve any aerobatics with their 912 engine. Hence that is why they are going to fit in the Lycoming engine.Apparently it has a aft C of G with the Rotax 912 fitted with out the chute, which from memory is just behind the firewall.With the heavier AEIO-233 they say its perfect, with no chute install. (This information is from memory, I saw it on another video a few months ago).

• Informative 1

• 1 year later...

LSA's in the USA may do aerobatics. Old aircraft may be reclassified as LSA's if they conform. The USA LSA rules are more sensible than ours.

USA holders of Sport Pilot Certificates and Recreational Pilot Certificates may do aerobatics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_certification_in_the_United_States

Most aviation in the USA is fairly sensible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have to say this is probably at the top of my list at the moment, only a 544Kg MTOW in Aus, but light weight enough that you can still fit 2x 100kg balast bags and a full tank of fuel. A really neat design, I'm hoping we see one come by the club soon.