Ultralight plane crashes in north Queensland

Admin

Also CAO 95.55 limits the number of aircraft places to two, not the number of souls on board. I don't think the RA-Aus ops manual says anything about carrying only one passenger.

This is true, I've been looking through it this afternoon, and can only find reference to 'two seats' etc...

So who knows the actual answer from a legal point of view?! ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is true, I've been looking through it this afternoon, and can only find reference to 'two seats' etc...So who knows the actual answer from a legal point of view?! ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif

Very interesting IF this is in fact the case Tomo.

We will await a ruling from RAA headquarters. Might take a while though!

If this guy is in fact legal I bet we will see a rule change probably quicker than updating the register.

Cheers Mike

Actually the reference is to :

"1 Application

1.1 This Order applies to a single-place or 2-place aeroplane that: ........"

So the interpretation will be on the meaning of "place" ... does place mean seat or bum?

This is potentially going to be an interesting discussion. Somewhere in the Regulations "place" will be a defined term.

If I read that correctly Kaz it would appear to imply that an adult can carry an infant child on their lap under CASA regulations and two infant children could occupy the passenger seat under certain circumstances in an RA Aus registered aircraft unless some other Ops regulation says anything to the contrary with John has indicated does not.

If so that is a real surprise to me.

But do we yet know what 'Place' means or do we need to?

Civil Aviation Order 20.16.3 (as amended)

Contents

Air service operations — carriage of persons

2 Definitions

In this section, unless a contrary intention appears: ....

A child is a passenger who has reached his or her third but not his or her

thirteenth birthday.

An infant is a passenger who has not reached his or her third birthday.

A passenger is a person who is not a crew member. ...

3 Seats

3.1 Each crew member and each passenger shall occupy a seat of an approved

type: ...

except:

(i) infants, children and stretcher cases carried in accordance with

subsections 13 and 14 respectively...

4 Seat belts and safety harnesses

4.1 Except as provided in subsections 14 and 15 safety harnesses, or seat belts

where safety harnesses are not fitted, shall be worn by all persons at the times

listed in paragraph 3.1. ...

12 Passenger capacity

12.2 The number of passengers carried in an aircraft for which an emergency

evacuation demonstration is not required may exceed the number of approved

passenger seats fitted in the aircraft only if the excess number of passengers:

(a) has been approved by CASA; or

(b) does not exceed the number specified in column 2 of the following table

opposite the number of passenger seats specified in column 1;

Column 1 Column 2

No. of passenger seats No. of excess passengers

2-6 1

13 Carriage of infants and children

13.1 Where their combined weight does not exceed 77 kg, 2 children may occupy

1 seat if:

(a) seated side by side; and

(b) restrained by a lapstrap only; and

© the seat-belt is adjusted to secure both children at all times when a seat

belt is required to be worn.

13.2 (1) An infant may be carried in the arms or on the lap of an adult passenger (but must be restrained using a "loop"),

So my personal opinion is that if an aircraft is registered as a 2 seat aircraft with 2 adults aboard (pilot and passenger) it may not carry an extra passenger even if that extra passenger is an infant. It can carry the pilot and an infant restrained in a approved capsule fastened onto the passenger seat or it may carry two children secured by a seat belt on that seat.

Please note I practice in the area of criminal law and not aviation law. The foregoing is my personal opinion and should not be taken as legal advice. If you need legal advice please speak to a lawyer with expertise in the area of interest.

kaz

If I read that correctly Kaz it would appear to imply that an adult can carry an infant child on their lap under CASA regulations and two infant children could occupy the passenger seat under certain circumstances in an RA Aus registered aircraft unless some other Ops regulation says anything to the contrary with John has indicated does not.If so that is a real surprise to me.

But do we yet know what 'Place' means or do we need to?

Sorry David and All

I have had a long day and missed the one little bit about "passenger" means... so it appears from what I can tell that two adults and a child is a no no.

kaz

I can't find a definition for "place" and if there isn't one it would have to be given its ordinary common meaning (try Macquarie Dictionary) but I suggest "2 place" means a pilot seat and a passenger seat.

kaz

Jeez Kaz... I am not a Lawyer... So is that YES or NO or Maybe and untried in court?

Sorry Windsor... everything in law is an argument but I think 2 place means a pilot seat and a passenger seat and the more I think about it the more I'm inclined to think no extras at all because that table starts at 2 passenger seats. A 2 seat aircraft has only one passenger seat hence is not covered by the allowance. So my advice above needs to be amended to say no extras at all, not even pilot plus two children. Pilot and an infant in a capsule secured to the passenger seat would be ok. Sorry for the confusion.

kaz

Just to inform you all that, in my opinion, it is downright stupid to carry any small child in any sport and recreational aircraft or other very light aircraft.See http://flysafe.raa.asn.au/emergencies/deceleration.html#restraint

John Brandon

I certainly agree, John. I know a few C150's have a kiddies seat in the back but I'd not feel comfortable carrying one there. Even my Auster with 2 back seats leaves me very reluctant about taking adult or child there because it is so difficult to exit in a hurray.

kaz

So... Could you take a second person in a single seat aeroplane? Given that a "seat" can seat 2 people under some circumstances?

No Donny, because a single seat aircraft does not have a passenger seat, it only has a seat for the pilot. See the CAO definitions in Kaz's post on passenger definition.

No Donny, because a single seat aircraft does not have a passenger seat, it only has a seat for the pilot. See the CAO definitions in Kaz's post on passenger definition.

Yeah... Was thinking about this while taking my daughter to school... 2-6 seats ...+1 pax...

I was imagining Biggles rescuing Algy from the huns on the wing of his Camel!

Yeah... Was thinking about this while taking my daughter to school... 2-6 seats ...+1 pax...I was imagining Biggles rescuing Algy from the huns on the wing of his Camel!

I don't remember him rescuing Algy that way but he did rescue a "spy" on his wing from under the noses of the "Huns" after he was told by Colonel Raymond the aircraft previously sent to rescue the guy had crashed near Mossieface Wood.

It had to be on the left wing, of course, because the gyroscopic effect of the Clerget rotary engine supposedly made the aircraft turn right deadly fast. It also made it a bit of a pig to fly when you also take into account the extreme forward C of G and short fuselage.

kaz

I don't remember him rescuing Algy that way but he did rescue a "spy" on his wing from under the noses of the "Huns" after he was told by Colonel Raymond the aircraft previously sent to rescue the guy had crashed near Mossieface Wood.It had to be on the left wing, of course, because the gyroscopic effect of the Clerget rotary engine supposedly made the aircraft turn right deadly fast. It also made it a bit of a pig to fly when you also take into account the extreme forward C of G and short fuselage.

kaz

Holy sh!t Kaz... Keep that up and we're all gunna start calling you Shelly (for those not in the know, Shelly is the double humped biped version of the name Sheldon)... 069_boring.gif.9cee54db3616ee9ac1231638d365dc2c.gifgiggle.gif.9fbf2613564ad555277246f6add2d17e.gif019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

I don't remember him rescuing Algy that way but he did rescue a "spy" on his wing from under the noses of the "Huns" after he was told by Colonel Raymond the aircraft previously sent to rescue the guy had crashed near Mossieface Wood.It had to be on the left wing, of course, because the gyroscopic effect of the Clerget rotary engine supposedly made the aircraft turn right deadly fast. It also made it a bit of a pig to fly when you also take into account the extreme forward C of G and short fuselage.

kaz

Crikey Kaz!!! You know funnily enough when I wrote the post I was thinking..."Now who was it that Biggles carried on his wing in that book?... hmmm... I will just use Algy... No one will notice surely!!!"

Blew that theory out of the water!!! I used to have a lot of Biggles books... they were a kids edition in fairly large print. I regret now giving them all away to a younger kid when I got to about 14... I would love to read them again... and I believe there were a lot more stories then the dozen or so I recall... Will have to visit the local second hand bookstore...

Hey W68,

I see you commented on the heartstopper vid on youtube a few weeks back, I saw it today and also commented on it, I actually know most of them down there and was not at all impressed with what I saw.

Alf