Guess The Airstrip

Here's a scarey one that I stumbled across while in NZ. This is located above Port Levy in the Akaroa area near Christchurch. It appears that a very keen flyer unable to find anything resembling flat ground has set himself up with a hangar/shed on top of a short but very steep strip on the side of this hill. I guess he comes in over the lip of the hill using the upgrade to slow down and then powering down the hill and off the edge for take off. A pilot with more "metal" than I could muster ;). Can't help wondering what his options are in case of engine out, s'pose he might be able to glide to the harbour below :ah_oh:.

Don't bother guessing its name ... I doubt it has one.

Paul

934342661_WeirdStrip.jpg.801779cd9cbdcd4fccb1bd66df754b0d.jpg

Guest pelorus32

G'day Paul,

This is a great shot of a great NZ institution. As you no doubt found out NZ is almost completely made up of flat land - it's just that it's all standing up on edge.

As a result most topdressing strips are just like the one pictured here. As a 13 or 14 year old (much lighter then!) I'd go out with the local topdressing pilot in the Fletcher and sit beside him whilst he worked off strips like this. The key elements are the flattish area at the bottom and the flattish area at the top.

You come in with a little extra speed on - depending on the angle to which you have to pitch up to "flare" - no extra speed if it's flat and quite a bit if it's steeper. Then you allow your momentum to carry you to the top of the strip. There is no chance of stopping halfway up the strip - you can't turn around and you can't get yourself up the strip from a full stop!

On the flat at the top you turn and face down the strip and wait whilst the loader driver does his/her job and then off you go. You are almost always off before the flat bit at the bottom and if not then you add a little bit of fertiliser to that area of the strip.

The shed is very likely a fertiliser bin. The pilots will not work with damp or wet super as they then risk not being able to dump in an emergency. Most strips have an easier transition from the strip to the top flat area than this strip does.

The guy I used to pax with read cheap westerns whilst working off these strips: reading whilst waiting for load, glance in the mirror open the throttle keep reading; as she got light put the book upside down on your knee; once off, immediately pick the book up again and read; as you approach the run glance up from the book and open the hopper; close the hopper, glance up and turn the aircraft; open the hopper for the return run and keep reading; configure the a/c for landing glance at the strip a couple of times and then close the throttle; as you start to flare put the book upside down on your knee and leave it there until you have turned and stopped to be loaded - then you start again. Do that about once every 90 seconds and do 10,000 hours of that you end up reading lots of westerns. First time I saw that I wondered what was going on but that's what he always did!

Brings back happy memories that shot. If you look in the hills of NZ you will see strips like this everywhere.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, that makes a lot of sense now (not the westerns bit). When I first spotted this I couldn't believe what I was looking at but it just had to be some kind of strip.

Paul

PS I'll have to post a pic of Pelorus Sound that I took just for you later.

Right on Pelorous 32. I am from the north of the north island and this was a standard thing. In my day they were using Fletcher aircraft and a converted DC3. The Fletchers flew from the small farm strips and the DC3 from our local aerodrome which was central to the hilly farming area around the north of NZ. Watching the DC3 low flying and top dressing was amazing. (the pilot was an ex ww2 bomber pilot).

Guest RogerRammedJet
Ok have a crack at this one, an I know some RAA machines have been here too so somebody must recgnise it.And yes the screens have been photoshopped to stop the smart ar$e$. Pity my hair was photoshopped too, it can't be really that grey!049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Hmmm, looks familiar! Where have I seen that pic before?

RRJ

Gooday Roger

With the DME U/S you need all the help you can get!

Well I think I know where you have seen that before....and if you are clever enough you could claim the prize!

Yes its a rather large LSA.....lets say a Sportstar on steroids perhaps. Nothing like 285HP up front and 160kts cruise!

Mind you it drinks at over twice the rate the J430 does.

J

PS Think we have a common friend up that way, do you know the guy with the R44 at YATN?

Guest Andys@coffs
You don't seem to be getting much response there J!Try this one - its got a few more clues.

Rog

Ok I Guess Rwy 28 Nullabor Motel. BTW, 1 installed GPS, 1 Garmin 296 and I presume a bluetooth GPS for the Motion Tablet...... STill cant point the finger, I have the 295, a bluetooth for my tablet and a small handheld as an emerg backup

The only issue I have is that on google it shows 2 cross strips and I think I can make out only 1 so Im less than 50% confident

Andy

only two strips, the other is a road I think to the house!

USB is just a link to the 296....so only 2 GPS modules in total.

Thats taken a while!

I have a pic of another strip that would be 10 times harder......but Roger might know where the answers are it seems!!!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

J