RA Training in Regional NSW or Vic - any advice??

Hemlock

Hello,

I'm just starting out and have done a few hours training in a Jabiru over several different weekends. I'm planning on maybe heading to a smaller regional town and spending a week there to do some intensive training. I'm thinking that this may be a better option than trying to have an odd lesson here and there. Any advice on training schools and location would be appreciated.

Thanks'

Hemlock

Hello, Hemlock, ( interesting user name )

I can`t give you any advice on training facilities in that area but you can get school locations from the RAA.

I call a weeks intensive training course, a crash course. Unless you`ve done some flying previously, you will probably find that you can`t absorb all there is to know and do, in one week.... Of course there is always the exception and you may be it.

I`m retired from instructing now but when I was, I advised my students to do an hour or two a week. This gives time to think about and absorb what has been learnt.

I found that most people find it hard to remain focused after about an hour of intense training.

Frank.

Ps, My opinion only.

• Like 1

Hello,I'm just starting out and have done a few hours training in a Jabiru over several different weekends. I'm planning on maybe heading to a smaller regional town and spending a week there to do some intensive training. I'm thinking that this may be a better option than trying to have an odd lesson here and there. Any advice on training schools and location would be appreciated.

Thanks'

Hemlock

Where are you based?

RA and GA?

Mate, there is only one place to go. Shepparton, Victoria.

Really social club, and avid flyers, with TWO schools on ground.

Gawnes or Secure Air. BOTH are recommended. Both CFI's are brilliant.

Easy access, and easily found, and close to accommodation if required.

Your choices of planes; Tecnam p92, Cessna 172, Piper Warrior or C 152.

Hello, Hemlock, ( interesting user name )I can`t give you any advice on training facilities in that area but you can get school locations from the RAA.

I call a weeks intensive training course, a crash course. Unless you`ve done some flying previously, you will probably find that you can`t absorb all there is to know and do, in one week.... Of course there is always the exception and you may be it.

I`m retired from instructing now but when I was, I advised my students to do an hour or two a week. This gives time to think about and absorb what has been learnt.

I found that most people find it hard to remain focused after about an hour of intense training.

Frank.

Ps, My opinion only.

What Frank has said here is correct in my experience.

Richard.

I'm training at Coffs Aviation Centre in the Foxbat. Coffs is a beautiful spot and the airport has two sealed runways. The breeze can get up in the afternoon sometimes, but generally it's a pretty good place to fly. There's plenty to do here while you're not flying as well. The only issue in Coffs is that the field is controlled most of the time, so you have to go solo outside tower hours. I have nothing but good things to say about the CFI as well.

Fly any intense training period for about 50 minutes. Anything above this and you are performing worse than you previous attempt, and wasting your money. Keep your theory ahead of your flying.

10 hours per month with all the briefing and debriefing would be a "nice" rate of progress. Weather affects what you can achieve at times, and can be frustrating if you have set yourself a goal. Don't expect to do it in the minimum time that is often quoted. Find yourself an instructor who will demand a high standard from you, not just give you an easy run through it all. You don't have to love him/ her as long as you are well trained. You are only an "ab initio" student once in your lifetime, and bad techniques can compromise your performance throughout you entire flying life. Nev

Hello, Hemlock, ( interesting user name )I can`t give you any advice on training facilities in that area but you can get school locations from the RAA.

Frank.

Ps, My opinion only.

Thanks for the advice Frank. I can understand what you mean. I'm keen to set aside some time I suppose and would expect that the overall process might still take me a year or more. I also like the idea of turning it into a bit of a holiday.

Regards

Hemlock

Because you have time in Jabiru's, I could suggest Jaspers Brush (www.scrfc.com.au - Phone numbers on the 'about' page, I'd suggest Andrew the CFI would be the best to call) - Just north of Nowra on the South Coast, mostly Jabiru's and a PiperSport. They are a good bunch of people, everyone I have spoken to there is friendly, and the airfield is great (although maybe a little soft at times, and a good amount of rain has them out of action for a few days while the field dries up, so if you do decide to go there, check the forecast, it has been raining a little lately in patches, but its usually mostly sunny and fine, hard to tell at the moment though).If you want to have a go in a Foxbat or Gazelle, Moruya on the South Coast also is an excellent choice (www.moruyaaeroclub.com - The website is halfway through an update, but the phone number is at the top of the page) - Sealed runways, usually the same weather as Nowra, but if it has been raining, you can still use the runways. Pretty much everyone is friendly. You do have to be careful of the skydiving though, as they are very active.

Thanks Ignition - I'll check out their websites. The south coast would be a very nice place to fly around!

Hemlock

RA and GA?Mate, there is only one place to go. Shepparton, Victoria.

Thanks Ben - will check Shepparton out too.

Hemlock

Hi Hemlock,

There are also various Jab 160/170/230's at Bathurst (Central West ??), Mudgee (not sure of name ) and Orange (Orange Ultraflight). Further west I think there are Foxbats at Forbes; also Foxbats at Scone (Aero Club) in the Hunter.

I did a few hours out at Orange for much the same reason as you are contemplating, before passing my Certificate back home. Ken was very precise in fixing some of my sloppiness and I found his briefs and notes outstanding. I also found it extremely valuable in an unfamiliar environment and handling the performance differences flying from a 3000' odd aerodrome as opposed to one at sea level. Jabs take a LOT more runway there!

Have fun!

Hi Hemlock,There are also various Jab 160/170/230's at Bathurst (Central West ??), Mudgee (not sure of name ) and Orange (Orange Ultraflight). Further west I think there are Foxbats at Forbes; also Foxbats at Scone (Aero Club) in the Hunter.

I did a few hours out at Orange for much the same reason as you are contemplating, before passing my Certificate back home. Ken was very precise in fixing some of my sloppiness and I found his briefs and notes outstanding. I also found it extremely valuable in an unfamiliar environment and handling the performance differences flying from a 3000' odd aerodrome as opposed to one at sea level. Jabs take a LOT more runway there!

Have fun!

And Orange has

F.O.O.D Week - Fri 13 to Sun 22 April, 2012

see http://www.orangefoodweek.com.au/ But stay off the booze, they have more vinyards than you can poke a stick at.

Col :notsosadangel:

RA and GA?Mate, there is only one place to go. Shepparton, Victoria.

I have to second that. For a country location, you couldn't beat Shep. Nathan at Secure Air is a terrific young guy and totally switched on. There is ultra-cheap accommodaiton across the road or you can rest in luxury at the motel-hotel a few hundred metres up the road. The Aeroclub is super friendly and they put on a mean lunch every Saturday.

kaz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pookemon

I can recommend the Ballarat Aero Club. They do RAA & GA with initial RAA training in a Gazelle, and NAV's can be done in a Tecnam Sierra. In GA they have a C152, Piper and a C172. The instructors are great and you could probably even bunk in the club rooms (there was a young lad from Darwin staying there over the Holidays while he did some intensive training). The CFI has over 20,000 hours with 19 years in New Guinnea - he is completely unflappable and a very good educator. The other instructor is very popular and I've heard nothing but praise for her training (I haven't flown with her yet).