AVMAP

jeffcb52

I have asked Avmap why there is missing data and received this reply:

Dear Jeff,

"AvMap are going to increase the data available from Jeppesen from the next update – so you would be wise to wait a couple of months for it to filter through to us. As for the price of the updates, it depends on how you would like to do it:

If you do not have Terrain Awareness:

OPTION 1: A full upgrade of your card is available which includes Terrain Awareness PLUS the latest Jeppesen Database. BUT once the upgrade has been done, the card is near capacity and does not leave any room to store any more information. AUS$165.00

OPTION 2:A new card can be purchased which also includes Terrain Awareness PLUS the latest Jeppesen Database. BUT, there is plenty of space left on the card to store flight plans etc. PLUS there is enough space to upgrade it in the future should AvMap release new features. AUS$214.50

(I can help you with the options above – let me know if you would like me to upgrade your card or if you would like to purchase a new one.)

OR

You can complete the download yourself of just the Jeppesen database via the AvMap Website: http://www.avmap.us/index.php?swt=0203

Please keep in mind that prices on the web-site are quoted in US dollars and you will need a CF-CARD reader. We use a generic card reader that we purchased from Dick Smith Electronics for about AUS$40.00.

How old is your card? If it does not have Terrain Awareness, your best option is to purchase a new card. If you are not interested in having Terrain Awareness OR you already have it, then the cheapest option is to complete the download yourself. From, what I can tell from the web-site, it is US$22.00 for the Australia/Asia Database (Plus the cost of the CF-Card reader)."

I attempted to purchase updated aviation data from the Avmap website, but it still does not work.

Emailing the link on the site eventually ends up with EDMO, who then referred me back to the original Avmap page. Very useful.

However the lady from EDMO said she will look into it when informed of the problem.

Avmap might have a great screen but they have a fair few of the basics still to sort out in my opinion.

Regards

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JRMobile

Hi Jeff

At last I have a successful outcome from AvMap Italy re the Jeppsen data base.

I had been asking them for information to enable me to update the aeronautical data on my AvMap GPS. I needed this upgrade to include all licensed and unlicensed airstrips in Australia. As per Airservices Australia "ERSA".

The email received on Friday was simple and to the point: ( this is after many months and lots of emails)

-----------------------------------------------------------

“Dear customer,

just replace the AEL and ACE files in the CHARTS folder of the CF with the one

attached and the one downloadable from here :

http://download.avmap.it/maps/jeppesen/70/ASN73070.ACE

Best regards

AvMap Technical Support”

--------------------------------------------------------------

A quick drive into town to grab the GPS and back home, insert the compact flash card into the card reader, download said ACE file and replace AEL and ACE files.

Then power up AvMap, click the “page” button and there they were, Evans Head, Swan Bay, Etc

As a double check, I did a search for Tyabb,Tooraddin, Wallan, all present and correct. :) :;)3: 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Regards John

[ATTACH]4189[/ATTACH]

Dear JRMobile,

I followed your advice but now I have no aviation info at all. Can't understand why it does not work, as replacing the old files restores gps to former status. Those files you received and downloaded weren't specific to your gps were they? Did you pay a fee to unlock that info, or maybe I am just missing something. Thanks for the help though, maybe I'll sort it out.

Regards

Jeff

JRMobile,

Is ASN73070.ACE an archive file which has to be extracted before being transferred into the CF card charts folder. According to its properties it says it is an archive file, but my RAR extraction program can't seem to recognise the file type?

Regards

Jeff

Guest JRMobile

Hi Jeff

The .ACE file was down loaded, as is, from the AvMap site, I did zip the .AEL file to enable it to be uploaded to the forum site.

If you have any problems PM me and maybe we could work out a way to transfer the files another way. ;)

Cheers John

John,

Thanks for the files. They don't work on my gps and having seen your original email plus what Rebecca of EDMO sent me it is clear they are linked to the number of a specific compact flash card.

I am going to hold off sending in the free update voucher, as apparently upgraded terrestrial cartography is to be included in a couple of months.

Regards

Jeff

Guys - Are your recent posts referring to the AvMap model EKP-IV PRO ??

I want to buy one - guess Ian will sell it to me - but want to ensure I get the most appropriate model for OZ.

Txs

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris

There is a member of the forums here that purchased an Avmap for his Jab and got me to send it straight to the Jabiru factory for mounting so it can be done but I suppose it all depends on the panel choice and other instruments that you have.

Does anyone out there have an AvMap installed in a Jabiru? The Jab. factory has told me that they dont think there would be enough room to mount an AvMap on a bracket....

Chris

I have one in an Airgizmo mount (makes it removable while looking built-in) .... but I have it in a 230 with the large panel & saved space by using 53 mm analogue instruments, see photos below.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more.

Regards Geoff

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1560&d=1176102506

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2017&d=1181461809

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2019&d=1181461809

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3154&thumb=1&d=1190709976

This is my 230, big panel, factory fit. They said an Airgizmo would not fit. Bought a bracket somewhere in Aus. Had to send it to Jabiru at the time

Marcus

1_10x8.jpg

Chris,

I do have an Avmap 1V mounted in a Jabiru J200 with a normal dash. I made a bracket and mounted it between the door and the dash panel. It overlaps the dash panel a bit but is a great position to read it. Glare is a problem but have made an aweful looking plastic shroud held on with velcro to shade it. Works OK. It is mounted in vertical orientation, which is better for track up mode anyway. One thing to be aware of is that the Avmap does not seem to have a means of fastening to anything except with the dual click velcro strips on its back. This is only just good enough, and can be dislodged reasonably easily when it is mounted in vertical orientation. I have a couple of strong elastic straps to help, which of course adds to the overall chic of the entire installation.

Regards

Jeff

Chris,I do have an Avmap 1V mounted in a Jabiru J200 with a normal dash. I made a bracket and mounted it between the door and the dash panel. It overlaps the dash panel a bit but is a great position to read it. Glare is a problem but have made an aweful looking plastic shroud held on with velcro to shade it. Works OK. It is mounted in vertical orientation, which is better for track up mode anyway. One thing to be aware of is that the Avmap does not seem to have a means of fastening to anything except with the dual click velcro strips on its back. This is only just good enough, and can be dislodged reasonably easily when it is mounted in vertical orientation. I have a couple of strong elastic straps to help, which of course adds to the overall chic of the entire installation.

Regards

Jeff

Geez - That doesnt sound the best look in the business!:;)2: You'd reckon AvMap would do a bit better than that.. Maybe I should go look at the Lowrance 2000! (Good reviews and viewable in direct sunlight - They say..) http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Aviation/AirMap-2000C/

• 1 month later...

Geoffreywh,

I think those files must each be linked to a specific compact flash card number.

I imagine you have to supply Avmap with the number off your compact flash card in order to be sent a file which will work in your gps. Otherwise we could all have free updates. I wonder if the new updated cartography which has been mentioned is now available? Let us know how you get on.

regards

Jeff

JR MOBILE, The files (AEL and ACE) do not have to be extracted. I put my new ones on the desktop, put the card in the card reader and replaced the old ones with the new ones, deleting the old ones from the card...Everything was very simple to do ( IT must have been , I did it!) Geoffreywh

Jeff & Geoff & Chris

FYI, the latest firmware update arrived today and I fitted it this evening.

It is version 2.06 something dated late Nov 07 from memory, and it appears to have a lot of strips that weren't in my version 2.02. Tooradin and Phillip Island were 2 that I noticed immediately.

Do you think that your card has the same or does it have extra data?

Can you give me a strip that is on your card and that you know wasn't on your last database, and give me a location to look, and I'll see if it is on mine.

Regards Geoff

In case anyone is interested I have purchased the metal backing plate from Ian (it's on the Avmap website) and it is a neat and secure fit onto the back of the Avmap. It still locks with double click velcro, but because the plate is rigid it is a good fit. Plate has 6 threaded holes to allow mounting onto something else. Way better than trying to secure the plastic leg mount to a bracket. Cheap too @$20-30.

Regards

Jeff