AVMAP

jeffcb52

Hello everyone,

My first attempt at posting.

I purchased a Navman EKP 1V at Narromine to use in my Jabiru.

However I find that does not interface with my computer with the same ease as a Garmin 196 or Garmin 12.

I am using Oziexplorer moving map program for route planning, and this program does not specifically list the Avmap as a type of GPS it recognises. I have found it can be tricked by selecting MLR/other MLR as a type of GPS, and this allows transfer of waypoints. However it seems unable to transfer route info from the computer to the Avmap, although it goes through all the motions. It seems to need 4800N81 as settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ian-from whom I bought the Avmap- can you give me your phone number, as I seem to have lost it.

Regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff

To interface the AvMap EKP with a computer you need an interface cable and software called Pc-Planner which I can get for you if you like.

My phone number is 0425-702-333

Dear Ian,

Thanks for the reply. You obviously realised I was referring to the Avmap I purchased at Narromine, not the Navman GPS I have in my car. Sorry about the temporary senility.

I bought a cable from you at Narromine. Have attached a DB9 plug and it connects to the computer perfectly with regards to downloading waypoints. It seems to me that any of these moving map programs should transfer data from the program to any gps provided we put the correct settings into both program and gps. I am trying to understand what different settings Amap uses compared to Garmin. I don't want to give up on Oziexplorer yet because I also use it as a moving map on a tablet computer on my plane. This allows me to flight plan at home, transfer waypoints and routes via a USB stick to the tablet, then run them into the gps. Very convenient, if only I could achieve the same with the Avmap.

I also tried G7toWin program and got a similar error message to Oziexplorer.

How much does PC planner cost and what can it do?

Regards

Jeff

Guest Andys@coffs

Jeff

Just an idea. With Garmin GPSs They support a number of different protocols for transferring information, for example there is a garmin protocol which is used when ever firmware updates or Jepperson data updates are performed. They also support the NMEA protocol which is the most common protocol supported across the different brands available. Oziexplorer does speak NMEA and if I were you Id be looking to see if the AVMAP also speaks NMEA.

Lastly Id also google with a number of variations to see what I could find, for example theres this page: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L/message/25326 which offers some info, but like everything on the internet (this post included) you have to try and seperate the BS for the truth.

Andy

Jeff

If you could leave it with me and I will see what I can do as I also want to be able to connect my Avmap up to my PC so I am going to find out the best way to do it all including the best software.

In the mean time keep trying with Oziexplorer and also what Andy has said

Guest pelorus32

Hi Jeff,

On both sides of the path you need to check that the correct NMEA sentences are being supported and that they are turned on (this is a feature of some software/GPS units and not others). The Route sentence is RTE and it may be that there is a problem at one end or another.

See here for sentences:

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm#nmea

I have also had trouble with trying to interfaqce a Garmin GPS to my computer using USB - the Garmin came with a serial cord and the computer only has USB. It was very frustrating - going through the motions and nothing happening. But I have solved it.

Regards

Mike

Guest pelorus32

Just a quick further question and I'm sorry if the answer is "of course" but it's always worth asking:

Are you using the "Flight Plan" option from the Communication menu when you try and upload a route? This is the only option that supports both the RTE and WPL sentences that are required to get the waypoints across and get them linked into a route.

Sorry if that is blindingly obvious.

Regards

Mike

Thanks for everyones' replies.

Tried MCT brand USB/serial converter but it would not work.

I use a Prolific USB/serial converter to overcome the lack of serial ports. You can use more than one if you want to run more than one GPS based program simultaneously, or you can use a program called GPS gate which allows you to create multiple virtual serial ports so long as you have one serial port or USB/Serial converter bringing the signal into the machine. It actually works.

I am selecting Communications/flight plan upload in the Avmap.

The manual refers to RTE NMEA instructions for uploading/downloadiing routes, but it seems to be the only NMEA instruction not available for selection in the menu.

I want to continue using Oziexplorer at home and in the plane because you can use digitised airservices maps, whereas PC-Planner uses Jeppesen maps, which are already in the GPS.

Using Airservices maps is much better for following VFR lanes and reporting points into Archerfield, for example, which are not shown in the Jeppesen map in the GPS.

The Avmap has one other apparent disadvantage. If you upload all your waypoints and then want to use some of them to create a flightplan via the screen/cursor (very handy), it creates a numbered user waypoint which it overwrites on top of your existing (and selected) already named user waypoint. Very messy and confusing and hard to understand the reasoning, since the machine has already acknowledged the waypoint you have selected.

Waypoints can be added from the database, but it is more cumbersome, and you can't refer to the screen at the same time.

It also has a menu item in the database menu called file manager.

However the manual never mentions it and I can't see how to use it at all.

Any ideas??

The USB port has some strange shaped plug. Probably just as well, because according to their support person in US it is for flashing the main board, not for normal connection to a computer. The manual forgot to mention that info as well.

The problem about uploading routes/flightplans from the computer to the GPS may only be able to be solved by the makers of Oziexplorer including the Avmap parameters in their program so that it becomes a GPS which is recognised by the program. At present it is not a listed type/model.

Might be a job for Ian. The only contact I could find was [email protected], and I am not sure if that is current or not.

I have other friends who use Oziexplorer, and it is a real pity Avmap can't interface properly with it at this stage.

Regards

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Jeff

Because of the title of this thread I have added the following.

It doesn't address the issues you raised, so apologies and this is not an attempt to high jack your thread.

But for those who may be interested I have to say that I am now wrapped in my AvMap after getting it back last Friday. It has been fitted with the TAWS and the latest version of the mapping software, and I am very pleased.

The zoom is now far improved and so is the street and town mapping in the underlying maps.

If any of you blokes or blokettes are looking for a moving map display I would urge you to do a detailed comparison of the AvMap with a 296. The extra screen area is a boon (I reckon).

FYI, there are pics of the new AvMap screen in Kitbuilding > J230 @ YSWG, and also of the unit partnering a Dynon FlightDek180.

Regards Geoff

Captain

The reference to "Kitbuilding > J230 @ YSWG" is of great interest but I am not sure how to get to this referrence. Is it a web site? Is the URL correct?

John

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received my new AVmap 1V ...Looks great!, BUT....looking at the moving map I see that many (victorian) airfields are missing, like Tyabb,Tooraddin, Wallan, to name but three, while it shows railway stations... Am I looking in the wrong place? or is there an update that I have to download? I also expected to see runway details.I know I only just got it...If I press the goto nearest airfield it singles out Bendigo!!!!!!!! (From Belgrave) lol!

Hi Geoff

I am actually setting my Avmap up right now for my trip tomorrow so I had a look and you are right, those strips are not in it. I then looked them up in the ERSA and I can only surmise that with them being "Private" airstrips that they will need to be put in as a user airport.

I still have to get mine setup with my PC to be able to see if I can add airports etc into the database or perhaps I could just read the manual which I haven't done yet 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Thanks Ian, I see I am not mad after all! so you can add "points of interest?".. I have my area solo this weekend .(from Tyabb in a Gazelle) .I'll give it a test then.I have always said "when all else fails read intructions".....................Geoff

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JRMobile

I some came back from natfly with a new AvMap (can’t help myself)025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif and finally had a good go with it on the weekend – first impression

• a bloody lot easier to read than the Garmin Pilot III,

• and not as many airstrips as the as the Pilot III, in fact, I have lost three strips in our local area.

I am assuming that they both have the same Asia/Australia Jeppesen data base.

Question - Has anyone downloaded a Jeppesen update yet, and did this fix the problem?

Cheers John

• 2 weeks later...

The Avmap website lists Australian region Aviation data for sale but it is not yet available when you try to purchase. There is an email link which must be the way to obtain updated aviation data. I don't think things move too fast at Avmap, because they have had those databases listed on their website for quite a long time.

I still have made no progress getting route information from computer into Avmap, because there seems to be no RTE NMEA message to select. Selecting the Route upload option in the menu does not work.

However, the screen is good.

Regards

Jeff

I have been looking for a program to up/down from my Lowrance airmap 2000. I have come across one (Freeware) at the following site http://www.gpsbabel.org/.

It seems to be able to handle a large no. of GPS units. I have been able to down load my Way points, Routes and Tracks and then show them in Oziexplorer. I hop that this may help you.

Ianrat

• 1 month later...
Guest JRMobile

I have had a response back from Avmap re the missing "unlicensed strips" on their data base:

"Dear customer,

for the moment the only aeronautical data we display are those given us by

Jeppesen.

Best regards

AvMap Technical Support"

Back to square one! Has any one had any luck updating their data base and can you please share the info on how ?

Cheers John

• 2 months later...

Mike (aka pelorus32) posted this solution in another thread, give it a go.

"Jeppesen Database

There was a recent discussion along the lines of "Tyabb [or insert another name] is not in the Jepps database on my new AvMap [insert another GPS] and it should be"

There's a partial solution. You will have to work out the settings for your GPS but on the Garmin GPSmap 296 this is how you find places like Tyabb, Tooradin and Wallan:

1. Press the "Nrst/Find" button - this takes you to the airports page;

2. Press the "Menu" button and select "Set Airport Criteria";

3. Set that dialog to: Runway Surface "Any"; Minimum Rwy Length "0 feet"; and Check "Include private airports" and "include heliports".

4. Press "quit"

You will find that miraculously they appear - as Heliports (Coldstream, Wallan, Tyabb, Bacchus Marsh, Tooradin, Torquay)

Regards

Mike"

I have the Lowrance Airmap 2000C and all of the Fields that are listed above are in the unit. It is using the standard Jeppesen Charts. I am using it straight out of the box no extra setup.

Ianrat

Guest pelorus32
Hi TimshelThis good advise is not applicable to the avmap as unlicenced strips are not in the data base.

G'day JRMobile,

I had cause to talk to Jeppesen Sanderson about this stuff recently when preparing the review of the Garmin 296. Their message to me was that all of the manufacturers get the same database from them, it then depends on the manufacturers as to what they show and how.

Have Avmap confirmed that they do not have the airstrips I mentioned above in their database? If that is the case it is very likely because Avmap decided to drop the data.

This information was the reason that I went searching the configurations to see if I could get the data up. In the 296 I could.

Regards

Mike

Some of the GPS resellers load in their own database onto the GPS units when they sell them to you, which includes the AOPA or similar airfields. My first Garmin GPS III had everything you could possibly add in there on it. It was a nice little value add that cost me nothing.