Why don't RA Aircraft use Toebrakes?

shags_j

My kit came with Matco hydraulic discs, with toe operated master cylinders. Independent L & R braking is pretty well essential on a tailwheeler, and this setup is excellent - plenty of stop for short landing rolls, but not enough to cause a nose-over on a ground run-up. At about 75% power the brakes creep, even with quite strong pressure on the pedals.

differential brakes on aircraft with steerable nose wheel can easily over load nose wheel strut as they arent often very strong with sideloading.

Anyone know where to source a compact dual circuit master cylinder ie two levers, two outputs?

differential brakes on aircraft with steerable nose wheel can easily over load nose wheel strut as they arent often very strong with sideloading.Anyone know where to source a compact dual circuit master cylinder ie two levers, two outputs?

Jet, i would think something like that could be cobbled up using motorcycle parts - they usually have one lever/cylinder per wheel - front wheel unit normally being the stronger of the two. Not really a dual "unit" per se, but shouldn't be hard to mount 2 front brake units side by side and pipe em where you want em?

Guest Maj Millard

The Slevcev Storch has some of the best toe brakes I've ever used. And don't even think of flying one unless both brakes work !...you'll need them right after touchdown when there is no air going past the rudder, because the touchdown speed is so slow !

The heel brakes in the Lightwing do take a bit of getting used to, but you get pretty used to them and really only use them for run-ups and taxing anyway..They can be a little tricky in northern flying boots though !!

..........................................................................................................................Maj............008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Image0353.thumb.jpg.b5b52c0935edb4d2094754ec646a4660.jpg

The Slevcev Storch has some of the best toe brakes I've ever used. And don't even think of flying one unless both brakes work !...you'll need them right after touchdown when there is no air going past the rudder, because the touchdown speed is so slow !The heel brakes in the Lightwing do take a bit of getting used to, but you get pretty used to them and really only use them for run-ups and taxing anyway..They can be a little tricky in northern flying boots though !!

..........................................................................................................................Maj............008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

[ATTACH=full]16822[/ATTACH]

Oorrr Maj, the nightmares were just starting to subside since you last posted that photo. Now I'm back to square one!! I think it's the hammer toe that sets me off:bash:

Pud

The Slevcev Storch has some of the best toe brakes I've ever used. And don't even think of flying one unless both brakes work !...you'll need them right after touchdown when there is no air going past the rudder, because the touchdown speed is so slow !The heel brakes in the Lightwing do take a bit of getting used to, but you get pretty used to them and really only use them for run-ups and taxing anyway..They can be a little tricky in northern flying boots though !!

[ATTACH=full]16822[/ATTACH]

Stroof Mate... Ava go at that pitchar... bloody 'ell,,, 'E's probly wearin' budgee smuglers too, eh?...

• Like 1

Hi all

to say that all RA aircraft dont have toe brakes is not at all true. As mentioned above the Savanagh has them and so do the X-Air and the Hanuman. I have a small mid wing taildragger "Alchemy" and have installed heel brakes. The installation of the brakes entails very little differences in the basic installation techniques regardles of the mode of operation or the design. ie You have a method of actuation, hydraulic or mechanical and you need to get a signal from the hand\foot controll to the brake itself. And there is no reason not to fit them if you so desire. Basic cable operation is probably the simplist system to install and if you can use the most basic of hand tools then you will find that it is a relatively simple matter to fabricate the pedals you require. If you install two pedals and

two seperate operating cables hey presto you have differential braking as well. As they say it's not rocket science.

Regards RickH