INCIDENT AT TEMORA

I talked to one GA pilot who was going to skulk around near his aircraft until he could be sure there were no CASA people to check that he had no maps. I think he came from S Victoria.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maps are pretty cheap, there should be no reason for not having them, and you couldnt possibly forget them or leave them at home because you should have them organised as you prepare to start the plane up so you can easily refer to them once the navigating part begins... Let me guess, he had a GPS and felt he didn't need the maps?

Yep like a stack of other people. Some carry two GPS in case one breaks down.

Yes and the other advantage is you won't be lost if the satellites stop working for whatever reason. Quite a few people are now dead because of depending on GPS's usually things like flying from VMC into IMC conditions.

Very silly to go flying cross-country without the required charts (in paper or electronic form doesn't matter - as long as they're handy when you need them). But unfortunately no matter how hard we try to preach common sense in all branches of the aviation industry, there's always a plentiful pool of candidates out there inching ever closer to that Darwin Award.....