Shipping a Savannah

fallowdeer

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me what is involved in dismantling a Savannah in order to fit into a 20 foot container? Or alternatively constructing to an appropriate stage to facilitate shipping in a container?

Thanks

Reg Brost is the one who does all the factory builds that come into the country. I have given him a hand to do a container its a big job mainly because they come in lots of twos in 40ft containers but they do come also in single containers ICP do a great job packing these aircraft. Reg may even have some pics on what it looks like I didn't take any when I gave him a hand. But basically the wings and flaperons come off and sit in a cradle/box under the fuselage with the struts and everything else and the tips come off the elevator and stab and it fits in the container. Maybe the fin may need to come off as well. The wheels are tied down onto blocks screwed to the floor of the container and the fuselage is strapped with many straps to make sure there is no movement.

Windsor, why would you reckon that? The factory planes all come out in containers, Reg unpacks them, puts them together and gets them registered and then test flys them. It seems to depend entirely on what kits or parts or whatever Tom has ordered at the time as to the size of the container used but when a single factory plane comes, apparently a 20' container is used and the plane is packed without wings and the elevator removed, so it is definitely doable.

Fallowdeer, how far are you planning to ship your plane?, or are you getting diferent information from a different distributor somewhere else in the world?

The shipment I helped with was the first with the new packing...WOW is all I can say it was spectacular how much effort was gone to, to totally seal the aircraft and parts...I was suitably impressed...not to mention the 50 plus moisture sucking gell packs hooked throughout the container

Mark

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm in NZ,had a PPL in a previous life and I've been very interested in Savannahs for some time now. There are not too many on the NZ register and none near me, though I did get the opportunity to fly in one last year. I've been thinking variously of importing a used aircraft from Australia or perhaps further afield, as well as considering the possibility of having an aircraft built to an appropriate stage overseas, then having it shipped and finished here. It's all part of the two year plan......

Peter

You could always do a Francis Chichester and do a trans Tasman crossing, I am sure it would be the first in a Savannah! Or in two years you could easily rivet one together yourself and buy your motor when you are nearly ready to fly!

The 800nm leg from Norfolk Island to Auckland would be interesting, 85 kts cruise, 18 L/hr, 169L. Plane carries 150L so I would suggest a 20L jerry can in the passengers seat. If you are interested in some reserve you can fly to Whangarei instead of Auckland and carve 30nm off the trip.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm in NZ,had a PPL in a previous life and I've been very interested in Savannahs for some time now. There are not too many on the NZ register and none near me, though I did get the opportunity to fly in one last year. I've been thinking variously of importing a used aircraft from Australia or perhaps further afield, as well as considering the possibility of having an aircraft built to an appropriate stage overseas, then having it shipped and finished here. It's all part of the two year plan......Peter

Hi fallowdeer, I live in Enzed as well and I'm just as surprised as you are about the fewness of Savannahs here. Until six weeks ago there were just seven Savannahs but this changed when a Savannah XL joined the register on the last day of February: ZK-MHG. When you consider that Enzed's population is one-fifth of Australia, would expect there to be 5x8 = 40 Savannahs at the same ratio. However, there are 125 ICPs (nearly all Savannahs) flying there. I wouldn't know why this is.

I also would like to own a Savannah in my "two year plan". Are you planning to buy a second-hand Australian Savvy?

The 800nm leg from Norfolk Island to Auckland would be interesting, 85 kts cruise, 18 L/hr, 169L. Plane carries 150L so I would suggest a 20L jerry can in the passengers seat. If you are interested in some reserve you can fly to Whangarei instead of Auckland and carve 30nm off the trip.

Throw out the 22 litre Jerry Can and fly to Kerikeri instead. Most Trans-Tasman flights terminate here. Here is an interesting account of a Pipistrel Sinus flying between Australia and New Zealand: http://www.mcp.com.au/sinus/newsletters/newsletter-36/newsletter-36.html

Hi Eighty Knots

I'm considering all avenues including buying a used machine from Australia, syndication etc. And you would have noticed with the depreciation of the euro just what 25 -37k euro buys in Italy...... No doubt you followed the advertising and eventual sale of ZK-SAV last year, I looked at it but the timing was not quite right for me. The planning and scheming continues...........

Here is an interesting account of a Pipistrel Sinus flying between Australia and New Zealand: http://www.mcp.com.au/sinus/newsletters/newsletter-36/newsletter-36.html

Be blowed if I would head off over the Pacific with a half flat battery, relying on the charging system to cook it back up to voltage on the way over!

I am really surprised that he relied entirely on three GPS units(all relying on the same satellite network/solar flare interference) and did no good old fashioned navigation. Sir Francis Chichester would not have been impressed!

Hi Eighty KnotsI'm considering all avenues including buying a used machine from Australia, syndication etc. And you would have noticed with the depreciation of the euro just what 25 -37k euro buys in Italy...... No doubt you followed the advertising and eventual sale of ZK-SAV last year, I looked at it but the timing was not quite right for me. The planning and scheming continues...........

Absolutely Ditto for me too.

Be blowed if I would head off over the Pacific with a half flat battery, relying on the charging system to cook it back up to voltage on the way over!I am really surprised that he relied entirely on three GPS units (all relying on the same satellite network/solar flare interference) and did no good old fashioned navigation. Sir Francis Chichester would not have been impressed!

That article was a really good read but I had those questions as well. Chichester's main instrument was a magnetic compass. The thought went through my head: I wonder if he had three compasses relying on the same earth's magnetic field? 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

No doubt Sir Francis' aviation feat was a greater one; nevertheless, the Pipistrel's crossing is quite an accomplishment.