Over Before I Start

Compulsion

Firstly to explain I have just started to learn to fly Powered Aircraft. I am learning at Murray Bridge in an Jabiru LSA.

Secondly I am 5 foot 8 inches tall and weigh 110kg. Yes I am overweight but also very broad shouldered.

The problems.

I find it almost claustrophobic in the LSA and very restricted.

Worst of all though is I cannot reach the throttle which is down on the front of the seat.

Questions.

I know a lot of Jabiru have a throttle on the dash so I think this might solve one problem.

Is the 160 or 170 Jabiru any bigger inside the cockpit?

If I can't solve these issues then flying is not going to work. I can hear you saying loose weight.

As much as I like my new flying school I will have to change to one that has different aircraft.

Any suggestions? bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

If you can't reach the throttle don't spend any more of your money in it.

Yes the J160 and J170 cabins are much bigger and they have the throttle in a more ergonomic position.

Try sitting in school aircraft before shelling out for an hour of being uncomfortable.

There are also bigger cabins than the Jabiru.

John...The later Jabiru's are more spacious than the C-152. The throttle between your legs is not for the masses. Nev

Thanks. Even if I loose 20 kgs my shoulders will still be the same size. I need to find a school near Adelaide that has the 160 or 170 now.

Or the 230. Your arms will overlap with the brake and centre armrest, but in a 152 you could end up in as much trouble as Peter Slipper, if someone had a camera. I think you will fit. I'm probably as wide as you are. The room available is quite surprising. Nev

Hey john, I assume you are learning at rpa. If so they have a 160 available and yes they are definitely wider than the lsa. I like the lsa (even though I own a 160) but its not for everyone.

Ring James and have a chat to him about it, his number is on the web site.

Hey john, I assume you are learning at rpa. If so they have a 160 available and yes they are definitely wider than the lsa. I like the lsa (even though I own a 160) but its not for everyone.Ring James and have a chat to him about it, his number is on the web site.

I will ring tommorrow. I would like to stay with rpa but i was told today i cant learn in the 160. Will ring and check. Thanks for your help.

Quote: Tomo, "First flight in an LSA55" #17: Don't give up on the Jab, but being truly honest if you want to get in the air quicker go the Warrior. As I reckon you'll need at least 3-5hrs of circuits in the Jab before you'll have it mastered, coming from a Foxbat background. You'll have the Warrior down pat in an hour easy I reckon. Pity they use so much more fuel!

I've seen around 4 hours vs 1 hr quoted several times and would agree with Tomo's comment

So if you are paying for aircraft hire, at a cost ratio in time of around 4:1 for a Jabiru at $145 per hours vs a Cherokee at $187 per hour makes the Cherokee a whole lot cheaper for your initial training, and the flights you need to do to keep up your recency.

A Cessna 172 is also a whole lot easier to fly, costs about the same as a Cherokee and has a full length access door/step each side.

So for a guy with big shoulders, the 182 and Cherokee are well worth looking at before you invest any money in training hire.

they also train in the 170 at the Gawler Airfield.They also have some other larger aircraft on thier fleet. great place to learn. why not give them a call. They also have a website. Adelaide soaring club.

Mardy

they also train in the 170 at the Gawler Airfield.They also have some other larger aircraft on thier fleet. great place to learn. why not give them a call. They also have a website. Adelaide soaring club.

Mardy

I got my glider C license at Gawler about 8 yrs ago. I drove past the strip the other day and was surprised at all of the sheds there now.

I got to have a fly of a 170 the other day, one of the chaps at Ayr let me take it for a circuit, it was pretty easy to fly as far as Jab's are concerned. So if you can get onto a 160/170/230 or something it would be much easier for you than the 55 with seat throttle, and smaller cockpit.

Cherokee, Warrior etc... aren't much better in width, they are a fairly snug fit also, and a piece of cake to fly, Cessna you're looking pretty good, but they do cost so much more for the same fun. The more aircraft you fly, the harder it is to find one you like most!

I got to have a fly of a 170 the other day, one of the chaps at Ayr let me take it for a circuit, it was pretty easy to fly as far as Jab's are concerned. So if you can get onto a 160/170/230 or something it would be much easier for you than the 55 with seat throttle, and smaller cockpit.Cherokee, Warrior etc... aren't much better in width, they are a fairly snug fit also, and a piece of cake to fly, Cessna you're looking pretty good, but they do cost so much more for the same fun. The more aircraft you fly, the harder it is to find one you like most!

I have flown at Gawler in Gliders and liked the field. They have a 160. The other flight school at Murray bridge have 160 and 170. I will check everything out but I would like to stay with RPA if I can fly their 160. I will phone james tomorrow.

Guest Andys@coffs
I have flown at Gawler in Gliders and liked the field. They have a 160. The other flight school at Murray bridge have 160 and 170. I will check everything out but I would like to stay with RPA if I can fly their 160. I will phone james tomorrow.

Hmm.... Gawler started out many years ago with LSA55's then moved to the 160 and then when the 170 came along moved to that for the better performance in summer due the bigger wing area of the 170. There is, I believe a J230 that can be hired, but they have less shoulder room than the 160/170, but better climb performance.

Given your weight I would suggest that the 170 is a much better option over the 160 especially in summer when the ambient temp will be at or close to the maximum allowed in the J's....

Andy

Hi John, Firstly let me declare my bona fides as one of the Instructors at Murray Bridge at the other RAAus school. We do have a 160, 170 and 230 so you could easily try your frame out in each cockpit. You would have seen them parked by Bravo as you taxi out unless you've been there on a day or time when they were still in the hangar. I'd agree with another post here that the 170 would seem the better choice, but these things can be very personal. If you're closer to Gawler of course then that might be a better option. I did all my training with James, Neil, Doc and Bill at RPA on 5678, 0949 and got my taildragger endorsement on a Lightwing they used to operate. So I know the guys are good pilots and instructors. I followed Mike to MBLAFS because of the wider choice of a/c which has included a Texan and Gazelle as well as the 160, 170 & 230 till recently.

In the end your choices need to include personal comfort, personality fit, a/c mission, cost, travel etc so don't give up. We're all here to help, so feel free to approach anyone for a look, a poke, a sit, a chat etc.

• Like 1

Hi John, Firstly let me declare my bona fides as one of the Instructors at Murray Bridge at the other RAAus school. We do have a 160, 170 and 230 so you could easily try your frame out in each cockpit. You would have seen them parked by Bravo as you taxi out unless you've been there on a day or time when they were still in the hangar. I'd agree with another post here that the 170 would seem the better choice, but these things can be very personal. If you're closer to Gawler of course then that might be a better option. I did all my training with James, Neil, Doc and Bill at RPA on 5678, 0949 and got my taildragger endorsement on a Lightwing they used to operate. So I know the guys are good pilots and instructors. I followed Mike to MBLAFS because of the wider choice of a/c which has included a Texan and Gazelle as well as the 160, 170 & 230 till recently.In the end your choices need to include personal comfort, personality fit, a/c mission, cost, travel etc so don't give up. We're all here to help, so feel free to approach anyone for a look, a poke, a sit, a chat etc.

Thank you Paul for an honest answer. I will make some calls today and see where I end up. I just want to learn to fly and enjoy the experience. I live 90 minutes travel from MB so my intention is to do 2x1hr lessons in a day to reduce the travel. I hope to catch up and meet you soon.

Firstly to explain I have just started to learn to fly Powered Aircraft. I am learning at Murray Bridge in an Jabiru LSA.Secondly I am 5 foot 8 inches tall and weigh 110kg. Yes I am overweight but also very broad shouldered.

The problems.

I find it almost claustrophobic in the LSA and very restricted.

Worst of all though is I cannot reach the throttle which is down on the front of the seat.

Questions.

I know a lot of Jabiru have a throttle on the dash so I think this might solve one problem.

Is the 160 or 170 Jabiru any bigger inside the cockpit?

If I can't solve these issues then flying is not going to work. I can hear you saying loose weight.

As much as I like my new flying school I will have to change to one that has different aircraft.

Any suggestions? bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

I have the experience of flying an LSA 55 and a 170 (Both for very short amount of time however). I found it hard to fit in the LSA too mainly because I am tall, had to sit a bit forward in the seat which made for damned uncomfortable flying, I noticed it was narrow too. The J170 is much bigger inside, seemed a bit wider and the throttle seems to be in a more logical place. I can't comment on the flying characteristics of the J170 too much as I only flew it on a TIF, however I think it would be a better aircraft to learn in than an LSA 55...

I have contacted James this morning at RPA and told him of my problems. He is going to take me up in the 160 on Sunday so hopefully all will be fixed. Come on Sunday I can't wait. Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I will post how I get on.

John, if Aldinga is within your allocated travelling time, try a Sportscub tail dragger. Great plane to fly, much easier than a Jabbie. Being a tandem seater, there's no weight induced tilt either.(When solo you WILL fly lop sided. I'm only 100kg and I notice it)

Give James my best wishes next time you see him. I won't be flying this year, just can't afford it any more.

S8000883R.thumb.jpg.99440e5e8394ee3331b92cff87c8e964.jpg

• Like 1

Guest nunans

I've flown jab LSA, 160, 170, 230 and i'd have to say I don't think anyone really fits in an LSA Jabiru they are a completely different thing cabin room wise to the newer models which all are alot easier to fit into than an LSA.

Don't give up on flying yet, just forget about the LSA jabiru's.

Guest nunans
try a Sportscub tail dragger, much easier than a Jabbie. [ATTACH=full]17336[/ATTACH]

mmm maybe, maybe not. I'd say you can do more with a sport cub and they are more controlable to a certain extent, but easier? I'm not sure..