My Recreation Aviation Flight Training Diary

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Eric! Yes the 170's are kinda floaty. I like to pull the throttle back at the end of downwind (maybe 1500 - 1800 rpm) and use the base turn to loose speed prior to extending flaps but with a turning call also this is perhaps slightly more involved than slowing first by raising the nose then flaps and turn. Wondering what GPS system you use to track your course on Google Earth?

Hi GG,

Thanks for the tips. My instructor says I should complete the setup (flaps & speed) on base and thus have "nothing else to do" on final to give me time to concentrate on maintaining the final approach. This seems a sensible approach (pardon the pun) for an inexperienced person. I just need to work on how to slow the aircraft down and deal with ground effect. I only have 3 + 2 circuits in it so far.

I use a GPS data logger called an iBlue 747, which I bought back in 2007, so it is a little out of date now. It can record up to 64,000 data points. At a 1 second logging rate (presettable from 1 -999 secs), that is enough for about 17 hours. The rechargeable battery lasts for about 20 hours. I just switch it on and put it in my pocket. You can buy them on eBay for $50-$100. Some of the newer units now record up to 10 data points per second which is probably not needed. I find my unit to be accurate in the horizontal dimension, as well as speed and heading, but not so accurate in the vertical (height) where it seems to have some hysteresis (lags behind) for some reason. It connects to a PC via a USB cable and the included software overlays the track onto Google Earth. The software is also supposed to plot in 3D, but I have never been able to get 3D to work despite lots of fiddling.

• Like 2

wow great read Eric...I think these should be put in to a section in our mag!!! every month add a couple more diary entrances...it makes for a good read ..

"The diary of Eric McCandless - from student to pilot"

share in his adventures as he gives a first hand account into the world of Recreational aviation.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Eric,

Just started reading your diary... Fantastic job

I'm at about 5 hours now myself and with the current westerlies have completed most of the Pre and post theory and can't wait to get flying again... Microlights need ideal conditions....

I do sometimes think I should write down as much as I can remember from my lessons as a lot of info gets forgotten and I wish I could record it!!

I'll make some notes nw for the rest of the journey...

Regards

Mark

• 1 month later...

A great read Eric, and congratulations on attaining your certificate.

I'm sure many will learn what to expect in their training from what you have written, and the additional comments from wise mentors like Motz

Well done!

I can easily see how you could possibly publish this once done, with very little polish, into something that could very well become a standard reference for anyone at all stages of learning and accomplishment. I'd buy it.

• 2 weeks later...
A great read Eric, and congratulations on attaining your certificate.I'm sure many will learn what to expect in their training from what you have written, and the additional comments from wise mentors like Motz

Well done!

Hi Planedriver. Thank you for your kind words. I may not be the typical student though as it took me longer to go solo and get my certificate than others probably due to my age. But in reality I am not concerned for the hours I took to get my certificate or will take to get my nav endorsement, I would rather be confident and safe no matter how long it takes. I am in no hurry and it is more reassuring to have an instructor beside me.

I can easily see how you could possibly publish this once done, with very little polish, into something that could very well become a standard reference for anyone at all stages of learning and accomplishment. I'd buy it.

Hi Ayavner. I'm glad you enjoy my diary and hope you and others get something useful out of it.

Hi Eric,

get rid of that compass and buy a card compass with the aircraft on it. Works a lot better in MHO. Keep up the reports i am learning a lot from them before I do my Navs. Concentrating on getting my hours up for a passenger rating. My wife is getting on my case about taking her up.

Hi Eric,get rid of that compass and buy a card compass with the aircraft on it. Works a lot better in MHO. Keep up the reports i am learning a lot from them before I do my Navs. Concentrating on getting my hours up for a passenger rating. My wife is getting on my case about taking her up.

Compulsion.

I did an Nav course with Brian to learn how to read the maps etc. I don't fly the plane, but most of the flight planning I do and navigate when we fly which takes alot of the burden off of him.

May I suggest your wife do a small Nav course aswell, it is excellent, and I am glad I did it.

-Linda

Hi Linda,

Great idea. My wife and I have a lot of sea miles together and now we want to get some air miles behind us. My wife also loves photography. Help with Nav is a good idea. I also thought about getting my wife to do some basic flying lessons just incase she ever needs to land the aircraft. Better just get her in the air first. LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Update

Solo Flight - Practice Circuits and Training Area – 27 Oct 2012 - (6.4 hours – Total 53.3 hours)

"I am in flying nirvana after today’s flights. I did a total of 6.4 hours in 4 separate sessions of solo flight. I flew so much that my right arm got tired from operating the Jabiru’s central control column in flight, but I am not complaining at all. ..............."

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Update

Solo Practice Session – Mini-Navigation Exercise – 18 Nov 2012 - (1.7 hours – Total 59.2 hours)

The forecast for today was clear with light winds. Whilst I had flown yesterday for over 4 hours, I decided I should make hay whilst the sun shines and go flying again today. But I wanted to do something different other than circuits and training area. With my pilot certificate I don’t yet have my navigation endorsement, so I am restricted to 25 nautical miles from the airport. However this is actually quite a big area. Indeed it would be quite possible to get lost within this area unless careful preparation is taken. As I have been learning navigation and completed two dual navigation exercises, I thought I might go on a mini navigation exercise, but obviously I must stay within the 25 NM boundary. ............................

Compulsion.I did an Nav course with Brian to learn how to read the maps etc. I don't fly the plane, but most of the flight planning I do and navigate when we fly which takes alot of the burden off of him.

May I suggest your wife do a small Nav course aswell, it is excellent, and I am glad I did it.

-Linda

You're a legend Linda !

Bob