Desert Microlight Odyssey

Guest charlie hill-smith

Guest charlie hill-smith

Gday Folks, great to be in the loop.

I'm the director of a documentary to be shot in June 2013. I'm following three SA boys as they fly two microlights from Pt Augusta SA to Beagle Bay (Broome) WA. From June 10th - June 30, 2012 we are driving the proposed route for a research trip. We hope to travel through the following towns and communities and are looking for connections to local pilots.

SA Adelaide/City/Hills /Port Augusta /Coober Pedy /Oodnadatta /Marla

NT Finke /Titjikala /SantaTeresa /Alice Springs /Hermannsburg /Haasts Bluff /Papunya /Mount Liebig /Yuendumu /Nyirripi /Kintore

WA Kiwirrkurra /Balgo /Mulan /Halls Creek /Fitzroy Crossing /Beagle Bay /Broome

Any advice or connections would be great. Cheers - Charlie Hill-Smith.

• 3 weeks later...
That should be some event. The country west of Ularu is Grim . It may be cold at night in there too that time of year. Good luck . Nev

Anywhere in Central Australia at this time of year is quite able to get to below freezing overnight, even to quite northern areas (Katherine NT)

Guest charlie hill-smith

Yeah, we've been out there many times on other projects, we're looking for contacts - any idea how I can get a list of private aircraft owners/pilots along the route?

Only way I could think of would be to contact RA-Aus directly and ask them.

Other than that a manual search through the registration list in Australia. Look at "Resources" tab in the top of screen, and "Aircraft". There is also a section a section marked "Airstrips" that may be of use giving all licenced and unlicenced strips in Australia, there may be a few more "farmers strips" out there.

Guest charlie hill-smith
got a website?

No not yet, this film is still in early development, We'll certainly have a site for the filming section next year. Check out strangebirds.com.au - to see my last feature doco. - cheers CHS

Only way I could think of would be to contact RA-Aus directly and ask them.Other than that a manual search through the registration list in Australia. Look at "Resources" tab in the top of screen, and "Aircraft". There is also a section a section marked "Airstrips" that may be of use giving all licenced and unlicenced strips in Australia, there may be a few more "farmers strips" out there.

What about calling Alice Aero Club and the Tower, Balgo Mission, and Halls Creek coppers... between them they should know just about everyone with an aeroplane in the area.

Kaz

Gday Folks, great to be in the loop.I'm the director of a documentary to be shot in June 2013. I'm following three SA boys as they fly two microlights from Pt Augusta SA to Beagle Bay (Broome) WA. From June 10th - June 30, 2012 we are driving the proposed route for a research trip. We hope to travel through the following towns and communities and are looking for connections to local pilots.

SA Adelaide/City/Hills /Port Augusta /Coober Pedy /Oodnadatta /Marla

NTFinke /Titjikala /SantaTeresa /Alice Springs /Hermannsburg /Haasts Bluff /Papunya /Mount Liebig /Yuendumu /Nyirripi /Kintore

WA Kiwirrkurra /Balgo /Mulan /Halls Creek /Fitzroy Crossing /Beagle Bay /Broome

Any advice or connections would be great. Cheers - Charlie Hill-Smith.

Sounds interesting: there aren't many adventure flying videos around.