Low level drifter

...The irony of that is that I can legally fly my Auster below 500' with the landowners permission with no legal requirement for low level training (not smart) ....

Sorry David, but I need to point out some aspects of the regs.

157 Low flying

(1) The pilot in command of an aircraft must not fly the aircraft over:

(b) any other area at a height lower than 500 feet.

(4)Subregulation (1) does not apply if:

(b) the aircraft is engaged in private operations or aerial work operations, being operations that require low flying, and the owner or operator of the aircraft has received from CASA either a general permit for all flights or a specific permit for the particular flight to be made at a lower height while engaged in such operations; or

© the pilot of the aircraft is engaged in flying training and flies over a part of a flying training area in respect of which low flying is authorised by CASA under subregulation 141 (1); or

I don't see anything in the Regs about it being OK with the landowner's permission but I guess that CASA may require it as a prerequisite. Incidentally, I can only imagine the bureacratic battle to get permission from the owner of a public beach.

Sorry, but I have just found this thread...please note that the pilot of the drifter is NOT a CFI that was spoken about earlier...please let's ensure we are correct in circumstances like this when we post as it could cause a lot of problems to innocent people...if people are guilty of illegal or unprofessional flying, well that's another story...GO FOR IT

i have just seen this thread. We have had some threads recently on how we need a culture change in raa, that people need to speak up when they see something wrong, that people need to change the aussie way and become dobbers, that this would be best for all of us to protect us from having our freedoms curtailed. Then someone posts a video in an open forum for all to see with the comment that they need a talking to by I suppose the tech manager. Too cowardly to report him himself but hopes someone else will. Then the rego gets advertised once again too cowardly to report him himself but hopes someone else will. Then someone else says they used to do just that and loved it and misses doing it.

Then someone else calls everyone twits . Then as a means of trying to support a previous post this same person tries to tie in an recent incident which ended in a fatality. From there the thought was put forward that this may well be legal.

Then it is suggested that it wasn't who we thought it was so were back to square one. Maybe it's time to put our brains in gear before we open our mouths. This is the type of thread that damages rec flying not the ones that may be unpleasant but include facts and first hand information. Then we wonder why a board of 13 can't keep 10,000 of us all satisfied.

Sorry David, but I need to point out some aspects of the regs.I don't see anything in the Regs about it being OK with the landowner's permission but I guess that CASA may require it as a prerequisite. Incidentally, I can only imagine the bureacratic battle to get permission from the owner of a public beach.

CAR 157 applies to both GA and RAAus. Your defence lies in the large number of exclusions in 157, but they have all been 'done to death' by people trying to talk their way out of a show cause from CASA. Even when you have completed the low level training, it's not just a case of flying low whenever and wherever you feel disposed. It's essential to have the owners permission, and your insurers would probably be re-assured were you to be 90 days current. Aggies are not even legal to ferry fly from loadpoint to job if it's over property not owned by the owner of the sprayjob. In GA, it is not currently an endorsement, but is a Course of Training as stated in CAO 29.10. There is a move to upgrade it to higher status. The GA course is the pre-requisite for an Aerial Mustering Endorsement, and a great help prior to beginning an Aerial Agriculture Rating.

Anyway, I can't think of any experienced low level instructor pilots who would allow anyone to video an actual low level flight. We all appreciate just how it goes viral on U-tube, without any explanation attached.

happy days,