Low level drifter

Guest Maj Millard

Some of the best flying I've ever done was on beaches just like that one, and the Drifter is made for it.!!...that's why i really miss the Drifter sometimes....just not the same in the Lightwing.............................................Maj...053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

Have to chuckle, the pilot in this video is a very well known and respected CFI and ROC. The flight also takes place over a designated low flying area. For the record, not something I would do in my Drifter but not as reckless as it looks. :-)

• Like 3

Well I am relieved to know the flight was legal ... Not sure I would put it up without saying it was in a designated low fly area on the video title though. This would probably get a bit of attention.

Have to chuckle, the pilot in this video is a very well known and respected CFI and ROC. The flight also takes place over a designated low flying area. For the record, not something I would do in my Drifter but not as reckless as it looks. :-)

Another CFI setting a bad example - the RAA culture is badly in need of repair.

David maybe the flight does take place as you say, but there is no disclaimer, no qualification.

We are already discussing here the death of two people resulting from exhibitionism with the possibility that it started by someone in authority.

Can't these people THINK.

Excellent flying can see anthing wrong with that, best place to do some low level flying plenty of space to put down in case of engine failure beach was clear if most pilots learnt some low level flying they would be able to handle their aircraft bit better in case of engine failures.

• Like 5

Guest Maj Millard

Well said and totally correct Skyfox1 !!.....................................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Question What is he well respected for. And what does ROC stand for.

If you have the qualification, and it's a designated low flying area, or you have owners permission, and are abiding by the clearance between people/buildings/main roads... nothing wrong with it at all.

BUT! It's not good uploading a potential video as such and having no indication of the above...

• Like 4

If you have the qualification, and it's a designated low flying area, or you have owners permission, and are abiding by the clearance between people/buildings/main roads... nothing wrong with it at all.BUT! It's not good uploading a potential video as such and having no indication of the above...

Well said young fella.

I agree it is excellent training when done properly and in the right area. This is what we used to do legally when were NOT allowed above 300' ... oh how times have changed since we have 'advanced' to fantastic plastics ...

The problems is this video is not identified as a legal operation and as such clearly sends the wrong message given recent coronial findings.

They certainly have David.

After putting in a lot of flying training, and many hours of theory and being prohibited from flying below 500 feet, I can remember being bemused at the hypocrisy of people being allowed to build their own aircraft, train themselves, and fly in the illegal zone.

Even when something is done legally we all still find reasons for it to be a STUPID idea, setting a bad example and reckless behaviour!!!!

Seriously some of you guys sounds as bad as CASA and like the only way you will ever be satisfied is when were all flying 747 directly from A to B with absolutely no joy involved!

It is easy to repost stuff on you tube and we have no idea who put the video up, could be an unrelated, non aviation person who thought awesome video.

You've managed to miss the point totally Louis, have another read, and also go over the Youtube, and various threads on Michael's death, and you might come to another conclusion.

Louis,

I can understand why you would think what you have expressed. I too support low level training done legally and don't forget when I first started flying ultralights in 1982 everything was below 300' (well supposed to be ).

However in the light of all the published videos that young Michael O'Keefe put up on U tube of his illegal flying which tragically ended up killing him and his mate, this video is particularly poor form especially as it had no disclaimer attached to the video saying it was an approved low level flight.

Low level flight of this nature in rag and tube types like the drifter are completely safe with the right skill and aircarft type ... BUT ... are also completely illegal unless in an area where permission is gained from the land owner and the PIC has an RAA low level endorsement which endorsement is ironically is NOT available or required in a GA aircraft.

The irony of that is that I can legally fly my Auster below 500' with the landowners permission with no legal requirement for low level training (not smart) ... but if I fly my Javelin over the same property I need an RA Aus. low level endorsement.

Louis,I can understand why you would think what you have expressed. I too support low level training done legally and don't forget when I first started flying ultralights in 1982 everything was below 300' (well supposed to be ).

However in the light of all the published videos that young Michael O'Keefe put up on U tube of his illegal flying which tragically ended up killing him and his mate, this video is particularly poor form especially as it had no disclaimer attached to the video saying it was an approved low level flight.

Low level flight of this nature in rag and tube types like the drifter are completely safe with the right skill and aircarft type ... BUT ... are also completely illegal unless in an area where permission is gained from the land owner and the PIC has an RAA low level endorsement which endorsement is ironically is NOT available or required in a GA aircraft.

The irony of that is that I can legally fly my Auster below 500' with the landowners permission with no legal requirement for low level training (not smart) ... but if I fly my Javelin over the same property I need an RA Aus. low level endorsement.

I have no problem with any of that David, I just feel if we start condoning people for doing the RIGHT thing because some one else did the WRONG thing then we are all chasing our tails around in a big circle that ultimately ends up in an unnecessarily negative view of aviation.

Turbo I have read the reports about the crash people are referring too and I do not think it makes this video poor form. If you watch something like this and go "hey thats cool I'm going go try it" then personally I think you probably are not all that smart in the first place.

Perhaps they "are not that smart" whether they are or not, WE are the losers when it comes to grief. Aren't we witnessing "just that" now. Simple cause and effect. People love to show off and push the boundaries. Vids like that DO encourage people to copy them. Also people who CAN fly like that CAN fly an aeroplane. IF everyone could fly like that there would be less accidents as they would be better pilots. When unqualified pilots TRY to fly like that they often become a statistic, and everyone reckons we should be put out of the sky. Nev

Ive only just spotted the 2nd page, so further comment.

We have all had to undergo Human Factors training, so if that is working we should be able to work out if low flying like that is safe for us. Having done low flying training in GA I think I have a better grasp of what could go wrong than some untrained people.

I see it all the time on the roads now, there are signs saying don't do this and do that, but the road toll is going up in Qld. My belief is that we should give back control to the pilot / driver and let him make decisions. Not just have some do gooder saying what is being done is dangerous.

Look at my previous question, I would like some opinions to see how awake you all are.