Plane lands on road.

As it happens I was heading to lunch in Mornington about the same time....because it was such a miserable day with thick fog hanging around all morning.

I would have been within about 500 metres of them when they landed.

They would have to have been imbeciles, because we had been in fog for about 20 km before, and we were in it for another few kilometres and it only started to burn off a couple of hours later.

Perhaps God parted the fog along their car route from Rosebud to Tyabb Airport, and parted it over the airport, and parted it along the path of the duty runway, but he sure sent plenty

along the 50 km or so I travelled close by, and it's still hanging around.

Not excusing the decision to go Tubs but having done so, ( in what exact circumstances I do not know) he has realised his situation and done a precautionary landing, which is a lot better than "pressing on". Nev

Not excusing the decision to go Tubs but having done so, ( in what exact circumstances I do not know) he has realised his situation and done a precautionary landing, which is a lot better than "pressing on". Nev

I agree with you on that Nev, it's just that being on the existing highway just a few hundred metres away, having driven through fog for 20 minutes or so, My focus was on why they left the ground.

Perhaps God parted the fog along their car route from Rosebud to Tyabb Airport, and parted it over the airport, and parted it along the path of the duty runway, but he sure sent plentyalong the 50 km or so I travelled close by, and it's still hanging around.

Just surmising, given one report that they had been in the air for quite a while, that they departed Tyabb with no fog but got caught on top some time later as the banks rolled down from Melbourne as is so often the case. Probably caught it on the way to YMMB and then found the way back had become blocked. Just a guess, though.

I hope it will be presented as an example of good decision making after the event because I think it very important that pilots receive every encouragement to do a precautionary landing rather than pressing on into something solid.

Kaz

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

Well he picked quite a nice surface to land on !!.........................................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif