Auster Flies Again (And It All Worked!)

Some time ago I undertook a task of fixing all the broken instruments in my panel in my lounge room, as well as re-painting my rudder, re-doing the interior, re-materialing my dash cover and building an original compass mount (amongst many other various projects for the Auster).

Well I am pleased to say that today, after a little over a month of down time, it all went back together, and rather unbelievably it worked like a CHARM!

Here is the new dash - even the pocket watch works!

Showing of the J2's new deep blue lines and rudder checks, far nicer than the faded light blue that once adorned the fabric!

Catching that smooth QLD winter air just before it gets to dark to fly any more! This is why I own an Auster!

• Like 13

Hey Louis - good stuff! BTW, did your wife ever find out about how you used the living room as a workshop in her absence??

Cheers

Neil

Wow! Louis that's some good looking Auster compared to the one I used to fly.

What engine do you have in it and what are your performance figures.

I love that 'Grandfather Watch' on the panel, what did you do with the chain?

Alan.

• Like 1

Hey Louis

It looks absolutely fantastic... A beautiful little aeroplane. Is that an 0-290 or has it been up sized ?

I see you have the bigger rudder so you have a 9 knot demonstrated crosswind component with which to take on the elements!

Kaz

• Like 1

Louis let me take him into Toowoomba in his plane today, flies really well! Love it! I was expecting it a bit hard to land, but it was very easy to make a good landing out of it, even in todays mad wind. Lovely aircraft to fly.

Quick happy snap of the two toys this afternoon... more to come in the next couple days hopefully - when we both get time!

403419_2258794126113_2088570322_n.jpg

• Like 3

Hey Louis - good stuff! BTW, did your wife ever find out about how you used the living room as a workshop in her absence??CheersNeil

'Actually I was very sneaky and converted it from a aircraft workshop into a office space and I told her I set it up specifically for her! So I got extra brownie points and never had to pack all the desks up! Now I have even added another desk so the whole arrangement forms a U and it is from there I write all my forum posts!

Wow! Louis that's some good looking Auster compared to the one I used to fly.What engine do you have in it and what are your performance figures.I love that 'Grandfather Watch' on the panel, what did you do with the chain?

Alan.

Hey LouisIt looks absolutely fantastic... A beautiful little aeroplane. Is that an 0-290 or has it been up sized ?I see you have the bigger rudder so you have a 9 knot demonstrated crosswind component with which to take on the elements!Kaz

The watch was off ebay, it did not come with a chain, figuring out how to mount it was a bit of an issue but I got there eventually!

It is running a O-235 115hp engine. It is a J2 which is a totally different fuse to the J1, J3, J5 (It is the same as the J4 just with a different engine config). This model is based on the original taylorcraft, it is a two seat only with a hat shelf but no rear open bagage bay. Built initially with 75hp Continental (The J4 actually came about due to import restrictions on american engines!) and was upgraded for banner towing some time in the 70's. Performance is not bad, it is gentle to fly and easy to land/takeoff (even Tomo can do it!) cruise is 80-85 knots @ 2400 rpm and about 60-70 @ 2100 rpm. Burn about 25 lt an hour and climb out at about 500-800 ft a minute depending on the weight and the day. If I fly it every day for a few weeks I can squeeze it in around a 300 meter strip (Not without getting uncomfortable) if I am not up to scratch I like a good 700-800 meters to play with!

I think it has the standard J2 rudder Kaz, crosswinds are really a breeze in it, I am often flying when the luscombe out here is not! It sits over on one wheel very nicely and I have full rudder authority all the way down until about 2 knots I think! You should fly up and take it for a spin one week!

Well done Louis, nice job. Good to see you two boys together.Regards,

Yesterday was a lot fun, if only daylight was not issue we would still be out there I think!!!

Great photo Tomo, will be sifting through mine today and endeavor to put them up later on

• Like 2

Here is the Auster all prepped up as Photo Ship One!

Tomo enjoying the breeze with the doors off

View from the pilot seat! (The struts look a little bent due to the panoramic software having issue with the fact the plane moved forward a little between each photo!)

Finally leaving pittsworth aerodrome that night.

Here is the Auster all prepped up as Photo Ship One!

Tomo enjoying the breeze with the doors off

View from the pilot seat! (The struts look a little bent due to the panoramic software having issue with the fact the plane moved forward a little between each photo!)

Don't like your explanation, it would have been much better if you had said that the incredible speed of the Auster was bending the struts.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Alan.

• Like 1

I'm going to take a wild guess here... Louis and Thomo equalled a shorter landing and significantly more climb rate and MUCH more comfortable flying than when it was me getting taken for a joy flight by Louis the day before... just a guess.

Hey Thomo... the Auster really is a lovely old thing to fly, isn't it?

• Like 1

I'm going to take a wild guess here... Louis and Thomo equalled a shorter landing and significantly more climb rate and MUCH more comfortable flying than when it was me getting taken for a joy flight by Louis the day before... just a guess.Hey Thomo... the Auster really is a lovely old thing to fly, isn't it?

I had the doors for the shoulder room was better (And Tomo is a stick!)

• Like 1

I had the doors for the shoulder room was better (And Tomo is a stick!)

Tomo, I am built the same of you so no matter what aircraft we fly, they all become HIGH PERFORMANCE machines.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif.

Slim Alan.

Guest Maj Millard

Great paint job there Louis, congrats on getting that airborne with RAA-us rego !...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif.............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Louis, you may be interested in this compass which is for sale about an hour's drive from my place on NZ's equivalent of e-bay:http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/aircraft/aircraft/auction-483882842.htm

Let me know if you're interested and I can follow it up for you.

Thanks for offer eighty, it is a nice looking compass. But the J2 had the compass mounted on the floor so I do not need a mirror. Right now I am running an old P9 I got of Ebay (seriously I LOVE Ebay) but it does bring up an interesting point, any one know how to adjust these old things? Or am I just going to have to fiddle to I figure it out myself?

Thanks for offer eighty, it is a nice looking compass. But the J2 had the compass mounted on the floor so I do not need a mirror. Right now I am running an old P9 I got of Ebay (seriously I LOVE Ebay) but it does bring up an interesting point, any one know how to adjust these old things? Or am I just going to have to fiddle to I figure it out myself?

These things were well documented initially. There must be some nomenclature on that somewhere.

I'm going to take a wild guess here... Louis and Thomo equalled a shorter landing and significantly more climb rate and MUCH more comfortable flying than when it was me getting taken for a joy flight by Louis the day before... just a guess.Hey Thomo... the Auster really is a lovely old thing to fly, isn't it?

Hey Adam! sorry about the delay, have been working like a madman the last couple days, and still more to come it seems! But yeah, I'm pretty skinny so performance is always good! It reminded me a bit of the J3 Cub actually, except this goes faster and more power! And you can actually see out the front a little bit. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif