Accident Figures

John Brandon has just updated his "Recent RA-Aus fatal accident history" figures in his tutorials here on Recreational Flying which makes for some very interesting reading, especially noting the 4 deaths in the first 4 months of this year:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/tutorials/safety/intro2.html

Guest ozzie

Interesting read. A real dissection of the accidents over the periods of both high and low to see what trends and other influences that may have influenced the outcomes would be benificial. 30 years of stats. Could the high points be atributed to good economy and long periods of good weather = more overall flying hours than say the the lows of the early ninties, we were having a recession and maybe the weather was generally crap. I'd attribute the rapid climb in fatalities of the first years of the AUF due to the 'it's now legal' influx of ultralight newbies. There were a lot of new pilots trying to teach themselves how to fly, most in types way out of their capabilities and nowhere near the same as the earlier types. Every instructor was also new and even the experienced GA instructor had to learn the quirks and traits of the new lighter types. Sad but expected steep learning curve. I think a real closer look at the events and how those fatalities actually died could contribute greatly in reducing the future rates.

Ozzie

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting summary:

"Over 40 years of investigation of general aviation accidents, by BASI and its predecessors, clearly shows that while the immediate circumstances of each accident may well be unique, the underlying (human) factors are always drawn from the same disturbingly familiar cluster — pre-flight preparation and planning, decision making, perception, judgement, fuel management and handling skills".

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Ozzie..a closer look at the events causing the fatalities.

Just a comment from the trike world in regard to John's Accident History..which is good reading.

I have always been passionate about flying safety, and have been almost stomped out of the game for being vocal of my opinions about trike accidents & un-necessary deaths..!

IMO we have seen far too many first solo, just after take-off, structural failure and pilot/passenger (double) trike deaths in the past 5-10 years.

Under CAO95.32, both HGFA & RA-Aus are delegated authority for aircraft registration, instructors , pilot training, etc. the consumer has the choice which organisation to join.!

The flight training schools basically control this process of consumer choice...depending on where you learn to fly.

I feel strongly this dual category control is particially the root of the trike accident statistics which allow our National safety records to decline, instead of improving.

The standards are becoming more aligned, although many a trike death of the past has sadly not offered any true results to build a safer triking industry due to which badge you had on your jacket.

IMO-Transparency of trike accident investigations with accurate reported evidence is the only way forward with one organisation to administer CAO-95.32 aircraft, instructors & pilots.

• Like 1

Air Creation, Carol Carpenter pointed a big bone at this dual delegated authority for trikes when she and her husband Brian visited Australia a few years ago. And they are spot on about it. I had the chance to talk with them for several hours at last years Airventure. Great people and highly respected by everyone in the USA.

Those that found the cost and or training sylibus of one to costly or to hard just jumped over to the other or the lazy ones just straight out chose the easier route.

Don't worry about being stomped out of the game, chances are you will be the only one left standing after the others are just smoking holes in the ground.

Ozzie

pre-flight preparation and planning, decision making, perception, judgement, fuel management and handling skills".What else is there Eightyknots?

Other human factors not in the list could include:

* information overload

* pilot personality (e.g. reckless, uptight, impulsive, over-confident)

* hypoxia

* blind spot problems

* the bends (caused by diving within a few hours after flying)

* disorientation

* flicker vertigo

* health problems since the last medical (e.g. diabetes, heart disease, stroke)

* alcohol or drugs (legal or illegal)

* CO poisoning

* visual illusions (e.g. runway perspective issues)

* etc (they're the ones I can think of just now)

• Like 1

Other human factors not in the list could include:

Most of those can be classified as part of the already listed groups:

* information overload

* pilot personality (e.g. reckless, uptight, impulsive, over-confident)

* hypoxia

* blind spot problems - perception

* the bends (caused by diving within a few hours after flying) - pre-flight preparation / judgement

* disorientation - perception

* flicker vertigo

* health problems since the last medical (e.g. diabetes, heart disease, stroke) - pre-flight preparation / judgement

* alcohol or drugs (legal or illegal) - pre-flight preparation / judgement

* CO poisoning - I'd say, that's more of a mechanical fault than human factor

* visual illusions (e.g. runway perspective issues) - perception

* etc (they're the ones I can think of just now)

I would break them down to three basic groups.

Internal (health, distraction, cognitive - all things to do with "the person")

External (fuel management, mechanical preparedness - all things to do with "the machine")

Environmental (terrain, weather etc - things you cannot have any influence over but need to work with)

This would then simplify the examination into what came first and then the sequelae from that. (root cause)

Do a risk assessment of all known factors and minimise or remove risks.

Have at least two independent options over the original plan. (ie, panel GPS, handheld battery powered GPS, and compass)