Good News and Bad News

Admin

Hi All

In line with the preference of a majority of users, this site changed back to being Recreational Flying and dedicated to Australian aviation. This has meant that the hosting of the site on a server based in the US has become a negative to the site and all its Australian users.

This means that some great benefits can be obtained for you by moving the site hosting back to a server located here in Australia. The benefits to you are:

• Faster load times of the site (you are not slowed down by having to go across Australia -> USA -> back to Australia -> back to your PC...you only go across Australia and then back to your PC)

• Site hosting costs are nearly halved of what I pay now (I like this part 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif)

• Supplier advertising costs can be lowered which hopefully will entice more sponsors here that you can communicate with

• A greater ability to introduce more features that are dependant on low latency times (e.g. use of video in the chat room)

• and much more

That is the good news

The bad news is that it is going to be a little painful in moving the site back to Australia in terms of:

Closing the site

Move the files back to an Australian based server

Open site back up

However, there will be a lag time for the Internet to realise that the web site www.RecreationalFlying.com is now actually located here in Australia and not in the US. Some of your ISPs will still send you to the US looking for the site until they update their records to send you to our Australian server. This "should" take anywhere between a couple of hours and 2 days to populate all around the Internet our new home address.

After I do the move I will send out an email to everyone advising them of things they can do if they are having trouble in being sent to the wrong home and finding no one there any more.

I am currently running tests on the new server and setting it all up so I can't say exactly when the move will happen but hopefully it will be in a "quiet" time of the site.

Thanks for listening and I do apologise if this causes you any inconvenience however the faster loading times should go a long way towards making things right again.

• Like 1

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet to make progress and/or save money. It seems like your intended re-domiciling back to Australia will do both. Go for it!

Will it be better for you if you take Rec Flying 'off-line' for an hour or two?

• Like 1

Will it be better for you if you take Rec Flying 'off-line' for an hour or two?

That's a given, it will take quite a few hours to migrate the site data (just under 2.5gig) to the Aussie server plus there is all the setting up to do and then it all falls on the DNS changes propagating around the net

What the heck Ian, just close down for a DAY, it will be worth it in the end, I for one will not complain.

Could you please pick a day when the weather is fine across the entire Country so that we will all be busy flying anyway.059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif

Alan.

• Like 2

- and then it all falls on the DNS changes propagating around the net

Have just done this for one of the sites I'm responsible for at work. DNS propagation is assumed to complete itself in 24 hours, although in reality it is usually quicker.

Perhaps Ian can post the IP address of the new server so that if anyone is experiencing withdrawal symptoms they could just bypass DNS altogether?

Mal

Mal, I think the problem with giving the IP address out, which I was thinking of doing in the email and putting a redirect on the old server to the IP of the new one, is that it can confuse the non-IT user with having to log in etc and using the site properly etc...I ended up thinking it may be better to just deal with just the problems of propagation and cache then all the other potential confusing issues to a non-it person

Mal, for your interest the new IP address is 203.143.82.6

The server is located in Melbourne, has 6gig of CPU, 6gig DDR3 Ram and uses the new SSD hard disks in Raid 10 (120gig), 200gig traffic etc

The great thing about this server is the SSD disks...with the site being very database intensive the HDD I/O was one of the important things I was looking for and there are not many around doing SSD yet due to their high cost...for the laymen, our current US server has SAS 15k drives so here is the speed comparison in JUST the data read/writes (or the Input/Output) for the database which drives the site:

1.jpg.504b872b950153a4cb014aff9e40b42b.jpg

Add to this the latency of an Aust based server compared to a US based server and in theory there should be an incredible performance improvement. My problem being on Optus Cable with the Premium Speed Pack (up to 100meg a sec) I don't notice any impact of performance if the server is in US however I feel for those that are in the bush here in Aussie so this should help them considerably.

• Like 1

I have a ready supply of cement, so a spoon full a day and I'll harden the .. . . . . Up ! We love the site and don't care where it's hosted.

I prefer glue myself - takes the harden the ..... up, to a whole new "high" with every big deep breath.

I must admit all the front end speed didn't help the 100kb data rate (yes, double the old 56K modem speed!) I had in WA most of the time before we got our "portable Telstra tower".

Realistically the limiting factor is always going to be the consumer side access speed, and spending too much on the latest, greatest, and fastest may not give you as good a return on investment as a more moderately equipped set up