Aviation and Bureaucracy

Admin

Has the bureaucracy of today stifled the advancement of aviation?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Has the bureaucracy of today stifled the advancement of aviation?

• No, not at all
    • Maybe just slowed it down a little
    • Yes but in a good way like safety, rules etc
    • Yes, it has completely stifled aviation advancement
    • My answer isn't an option

Has bureaucracy stifled the advancement of aviation?

(I know it is a pretty general poll but I am running out of them...got an idea for a poll...let me know your question)

I voted 'mainly in a good way' as for the most part what I've been able to see - both here and internationally - are things being made safer / more reliable / easier etc with introduction of new rules or new technology. Of course there is the 'dark side' of things going backwards, but then again I'm not terribly well informed about that and may well be late to the table.

The other part of my vote would have to do with things like enormous beurocratisation and internal inconsistency of policy, to the point where dealing with CASA has become tedious and painful. I would much rather deal with RAA, as they are great to deal with on every level that I have done so thus far.

- boingk

Well, looking back over 50 years in this industry, I'd have to say that we are probably better off now than we were back in the 60's. Sure, the burgeoning bureaucracy is an issue - but it's so in every aspect of our lives. Back then, we had to flight plan everywhere over 50nm - but it was an easy task because there were FSU's and Briefing Offices everywhere. We didn't necessarily do this of course - there was plenty of flying 'NOSAR/NODETAILS. But, if there was a problem - it was more often resolved between the pilot and a DCA FOI, on the level of flying experience, and, (dare I say it), common sense. Unfortunately, we now have to deal with the 'heavies' from CASA 'legal' - enforcing their rules under the dictatorial terms of 'strict liability'. In the old days, operating a flying school was a pretty casual thing - but everyone seemed to learn to fly without too much drama. Again, the flying was left to those people with common sense - not a rule book and a bloodyminded attitude. Nowdays, we spend more time on the paperwork than in the air. I'm not sure that we're 'stifled' in the aviation industry - we just need to adjust to, and more importantly, resist, the bulldust that passes for administration of our industry. Instructing for skills and judgement must always be paramount to mindless compliance with ill conceived regulations.

happy days,

• Like 2

Nowdays, we spend more time on the paperwork than in the air. I'm not sure that we're 'stifled' in the aviation industry - we just need to adjust to, and more importantly, resist, the bulldust that passes for administration of our industry. Instructing for skills and judgement must always be paramount to mindless compliance with ill conceived regulations.

Bingo. The guys I fly with started with theory and flight planning was introduced later before any navs were made - either dual or solo. Every flight was planned from then on and the onus was on me to complete them or we didn't fly.

By doing that I became a competant flight planner and versed with the CASA system. I can now plan a flight accurately, reliably and quickly thanks to my CFI and flight instructors - thanks Malcolm, Shannon and Andy!

My advice is exactly that of poteroo - stay clear of mindlessness and become well versed in what you actually need to do to fly well. This amounts to being aware of the rules that apply to your flight, staying within them... and actually flying well!

Cheers - boingk

• Like 3

On a side note, I can say that it has been a long time coming but I am really happy with the way this site/resource is going now...thanks goes to all the posters here at Recreational Flying 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 5

Well this is a breath of fresh air compared to to morbid dog in the manger attitude that the gang of 20 has sunk to over on prune.

Do you actually go there Turbo??

A DEFINITION OF PRUNE:

Noun:

A plum preserved by drying, having a black, wrinkled appearance 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Do you actually go there Turbo??A DEFINITION OF PRUNE:

Noun:

A plum preserved by drying, having a black, wrinkled appearance 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I went there once and got a severe case of what too many prunes will give most people.... I don't go there anymore!!!

Pud