Polish

In my workshop I use turtle wax. Most polishes have silicon in them. If you need to do touch ups just wipe the area with a wax & grease remover before doing the touch up. tonkariaviation.com.au

Turtle wax is the go and it's cheap... Bugger about all those dry turtles out there. I think I get at least a 3 knot speed increase. I think wheel spats, polish, and higher octane fuel I can turn my plane into a pylon racer. Might be able to get sponsorship from Turtle Wax. WOW! So many opportunities.

• Like 2

I used a product called Fast wing (designed for a/c as well as cars).It came in two parts.Polish and sealer. Bought it from Auto barn.Used it on the Archer when I had it. I dont know how it would go on composite.It was very good. And expensive

Mr Sheen is silicone..... Have a read of the Jabiru manual and it advises not to use silicon based products as it will make future repairs difficult. As mentioned by Sapphire, it will work its way into the composites and cause bonding problems if repairs need to be done in the future. Use wax only........

True, some of us have been using it on fabric for ages, hasn't been a problem touching up the dope.

When I feel the urge I try to follow instructions from one of my mechanics to use a good wax without silicon.

Another of my favourite mechanics suggested Plexus on the fabric but I think I have converted him to Mr Sheen.

I got some AeroShell products before they were withdrawn from sale in Australia - they seem good.

http://www.shell.com/home/content/aviation/products/lubricants/flight_jacket/

Thanks for the Shell link. I did not know they had cleaning gear. Will have a better look. I love plexus and use it on my windscreen but have never used it on fabric. Does it work like a scotch guard on fabric? I know it tends to fill light marks in the plastic.

Where can you buy the shell products. I assume not in a servo.

You can get she'll products at Parafield in the Bruce Hartwing Hangar if I remember. I also get my oil from thier.

. Have a read of the Jabiru manual and it advises not to use silicon based products as it will make future repairs difficult.

You'll end up with a thowaway plane that can't be fixed just to save ten buck or so.

I bought some Nuvite metal from Frasers Aerospace recently, they were saying apparently 'Aeroglas' will be available soon which will be a 'game changer' as they say - this is a new hydrophobic liquid glass solution. A similar US product:

I bought some Nuvite metal from Frasers Aerospace recently, they were saying apparently 'Aeroglas' will be available soon which will be a 'game changer' as they say - this is a new hydrophobic liquid glass solution. A similar US product:

Wow that looks fantastic. I bet it will be expensive for a can. I can think of some really good uses for it's application. Due to my mad sick mind I could not stop thinking about all the other applications for this......I know I have made you think now! LOL

Wow that looks fantastic. I bet it will be expensive for a can. I can think of some really good uses for it's application.

The basic ingredient is cheap so before long I would expect it to be reasonable price, plus with a coating only a few microns thick a little goes a long way. It has been tested on trains and is undergoing certification in Europe for aircraft use. When you figure it actually prevents ice formation / adhesion the aircraft use becomes much more than just keeping bugs off the leading surfaces.

Looks very interesting would be great for wooden props as well as providing ice protection for the airframe. oh the polish thing MCGUIRE Have released a marine polish in a blue bottle no silicon boats have the same concerns, very high shine i restored an old boat this gear did wonders for the color it conditions the gel-coat. I spoke to the company rep about the product, also it is fantastic on lexan windscreens ect you pay a bit more for this product but it works give it a try, hope this helps cheers .

Every time I read the title of this thread, I wonder what the discussion about "Pole-ish" might be.....polish food perhaps? Now that I have looked, I realise that there is nothing edible here :-(