Actions which can cost our freedoms

turboplanner

Thought I'd start this thread to collect examples of bad airmanship which can lead to the general public agitating to move aircraft and flying away from airfields in populated airfields.

Thought I heard a truck yesterday morning but it was a Cessna 172 flying over the Carrum Downs Residential/Commercial area, at about 150 feet.

You could see the grooves in the tyres. (You might ask why then you couldn't see the registration, but by the time I'd recovered from the shock it was over the supermarket verandah.

I saw a Jabiru go really low over my house on Sunday... I am very near to the approach of the main airport and appearances can be deceiving but he was not where I would be when conducting a IMO suitable and safe circuit into this busy airport. (note it is CTA- except for a small window before 0700 hrs... if you get up at the crack of dawn it is a great BIG airport with amazing views as the sun rises over the ocean and you even get to wave to the Virgin and Qantas crews as you do a touch and go).

• Like 2

seen a c130j hercules the other day fly over Canelands (our local shopping center) at i would estimate no higher then 500ft. Again, its hard to estimate, but it was impressive. And i spose they can get away with it

Fly to set an example to others would be a good aim, but that's a bit too much to hope for. Ego's and ignorance, feature frequently.

. Women don't seem to have the need to show off as much as men ( in planes).

You can have fun in aircraft without being b---y ridiculous but pushing the boundary seems to appeal. Always better to be a bit of a chicken than a dead hero. ( worse when your stupidity takes some poor innocent with you). As, with the purpose of this thread, you may reduce everyone's privileges to fly.

They say you do your worse landings when there is a big audience. You may also feel tempted to put on a "show", for an audience. Ignore the audience, if you fly like that... Nev

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Numerous pilots who obviously dont read ERSA and join circuit crosswind or they overfly the airfield, at Goolwa. I would see it pretty much everytime I go there. There's a good reason for it - there are Parachute Ops on the dead side of the airfield, so pilots need to stay away to avoid conflicting with the parachutists.

Pilots are told you have to have the latest copy of ERSA in the plane, some were'nt listening when they were told to read it.

I hope you go and speak to them, politely. It's a good way of learning from making a mistake if your told you made the mistake.

Beware, "meatbombs in area". 1st time i heard that one was yesterday.[thats a bit rough]

• 2 weeks later...
seen a c130j hercules the other day fly over Canelands (our local shopping center) at i would estimate no higher then 500ft. Again, its hard to estimate, but it was impressive. And i spose they can get away with it

Yeah but that guy has over a year of full-time comprehensive flying training plus probably 1500-2000+ hours of flying experience including low level flying and navigation, plus another qualified pilot next to him to speak up if anything is not right. Plus it's quite possible that he was conducting a fully authorised navex, though he admittedly shouldn't be knowingly doing 500' over a shopping centre. I know when we were doing our low level navs in C130s, you'd try to avoid anything residential, but occasionally you'd pop over a hill or round a corner and.....ooops! Sorry bout that! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif