RAA vs GA logbook?

ayavner

Here's a question - say I have the RAA logbook, all of my hours are towards my RAA certificate. However, if I go up in a mate's C172 and he let's me fly for a bit from right seat, can I log that time in my book? Or would it need another book? Or can I not count it unless the flight is for the purpose of instruction (until I get my ticket)?

Just curious...

Doesn't count until you have a PPL, and even then from memory I believe there is only some provision to share flying duties with another PPL on a nav. Someone else will clarify I am sure, but that is the essence. Don't log hours unless you are PIC or under instruction...

You can't log it except as passenger or supernumerary. (Some log books do not have these columns). IF you do write it in make sure that it is not counted as pilotage or instruction . It RAAus the only instruction you can log is when you are undergoing training from an instructor attached to a FTF. In GA there are exceptions. EG endorsements and BFR's ( there may be others). If you had a GA student licence or above you could do a BFR that would count for your RAAus HP renewal in a suitable GA plane. and that could be logged, as would be any other authorised GA flying.

My recommendation is to use the better (GA) log book, from the start, if you ever have any intention to do much GA flying.Nev

Good question Ian, probably so...

I think we have a consensus here :-) I won't put him in the position by asking, but if he offers.. I'm only human... but won't log it.

Kinda thought so, but wasn't sure. Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Thanks! Hope i didn't give anyone the impression I was trying to pull a fast one... just wasn't sure. Definitely seems to be a culture of "log everything", so figured I'd best ask.

Know what you mean! But to me experience is by far better than some numbers in a book... mind you aviation seems to be all about numbers, but I'm focussing on the experience more so!

Tomo, what do you mean by experience. I let a friend fly a C172 for about 30 mins in cruise. What experience did he get. He was smart enough to wonder what was happening when I gradually eased in full rudder, but couldn't work out what the problem was until I showed hi,.

G'day Yenn! What I meant by the experience thing wasn't about giving your mate the stick for a bit holding S/L... more in regards to people logging every 30 seconds of 'sitting' in this aircraft or that aircraft to just get hours.

Keep your logbook "pure" If you have suss entries you will look foolish and maybe lose a job sometime. I erred too far that way and didn't log quite a lot that I could have, but i would prefer it that way,if there is any doubt. Asking questions like this is the way to go. If you are relying on something in an absolute way always check for your self some reply on forums like this.

" I read it somewhere" or even "a bloke from CASA told me" may not be good enough. You need to see it in writing on the latest applicable publication with the latest amendments done. Unfortunately that is the way it is, but we still kick things around here OK at times. Nev

• Like 1

Thanks Nev. Agreed, to me that is the essence of the forum... a group of like-minded individuals "virtually" gathered to talk about their favourite subject! If every question were pawned off with "read the regs" then there wouldn't really be a need for a forum, but this way I get a good idea that someone has run into this before, and its one more opportunity to talk about aviation! 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif