L2 Maintainers Liability Insurance?

Mick

I am curious what sort of $$$ of coverage other L2's are carrying? Who are you getting your coverage with & what is it costing you?

If anyone is not comfortable with sharing this info with the world I would appreciate a personal message. I am about to look into this for myself.

Thanks.

mick an l2 that does not have coverage and works on aircraft he can kiss his you now what good bye

That's why I am asking before I do anything on my own. I used to work as an employee doing L2 work, so it was the boss' butt on the line not mine.

mick an l2 that does not have coverage and works on aircraft he can kiss his you now what good byeneil

ps cant elabourate

I was under the impression that an l2 is not the responsible person, the pilot is so after an l2 has work on your plane it's your responsibility to check his work and accept it, that being the case an l2 should only need basic public liability insurance which is not too expensive. This is how it appears to me but I could be wrong.

I was under the impression that an l2 is not the responsible person, the pilot is so after an l2 has work on your plane it's your responsibility to check his work and accept it, that being the case an l2 should only need basic public liability insurance which is not too expensive. This is how it appears to me but I could be wrong.

The L2 has a duty of care to carry out work to the current cutting edge standards of professionalism and safety, and not be negligent either knowingly or unknowingly in any way.

So an interrupting phone call, followed by "Where was I" followed by an unwired nut etc exposes you.

A regular one through the years is to repaint the aircraft, but forget to take the tape off the breathers as obvious as that sounds.

So I'd certainly be recommending substantial public liability insurance cover.

The L2 has a duty of care to carry out work to the current cutting edge standards of professionalism and safety, and not be negligent either knowingly or unknowingly in any way.So an interrupting phone call, followed by "Where was I" followed by an unwired nut etc exposes you.

A regular one through the years is to repaint the aircraft, but forget to take the tape off the breathers as obvious as that sounds.

So I'd certainly be recommending substantial public liability insurance cover.

What I had to say in no way suggests any of the above can be put aside. All of that goes without saying, it's an absolute.

I had a situation a couple of years ago where my insurance company had added a clause relating to the use of naked flame which would have effected the ability of someone with a claim against me to claim. This type of deceit appears common in the insurance industry, deliberate or otherwise.

I needed to change company to one which understood my occupation. My policy now has written in it my use of naked flame. This policy cost no more than the previous one did. My point was that a policy to cover an L2 should not cost any more than the average industry policy and I would strongly recommend not to operate without it.

I see what you're getting at. Thinking over it, very few crashes are caused by L2's, so one solution might be for L2's as a group to collect accident records, perhaps in conjunction with an Insurer. I would imagine the results would show that L2 specific injuries/fatalities are a fraction of RA/GA figures, so a much better risk, and may warrant a lower premium.

That's why I am asking before I do anything on my own. I used to work as an employee doing L2 work, so it was the boss' butt on the line not mine.

Hi Mick

Being an employee may not be sufficient to avoid the consequences of negligence. The boss is vicariously liable in the ordinary course of events but there is nothing to stop the aggrieved party from suing the employee as well, especially if the boss isn't carrying enough insurance. And if the employee has been reckless as to the consequences of his negligence he may also personally face a criminal charge.

kaz