OMG now this is a 4wd aircraft...I want one cant afford the fuel though

Kyle Communications

Guest Maj Millard

Don't want to be around come overhaul time on that turbine !........................................................Maj...109_groan.gif.66f71fc85b2fabe1695703d67c904c24.gif

Don't want to be around come overhaul time on that turbine !........................................................Maj...109_groan.gif.66f71fc85b2fabe1695703d67c904c24.gif

Reckon I'd be dead before I wore it out Maj...the rate it chews through fuel I'd only be able to sit and look at it!

Kaz

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes
well a new porter is a fair bit more than a million dollars and by the look of the performance of the sherpa the sherpa is much better also 900,000 for a new one...hey aren't I allowed to dream

You can have your dream, but in mine I have a used Porter and I have the other 29 Million in metal boxes in the back!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Maj with 6000 hour TBO your average recereational pilot isn't going to need to many overhauls, sadly the hot section only will set you back the price of a good used Savannah!ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif

Guest Maj Millard

That's all good in theory until the engine sucks some FOD (foreign objects destructive) at 250 hrs, or ingests that spanner/fuel-sampler/screwdriver/, or wristwatch that the pilot left in the intake during the preflight ! Wristwatch was removed so he wouldn't drip fuel on it during fuel-check !.....

That folks is the real world Vs the idealistic view of the world. There are many broke idealists around !....................................................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Nice! Million seems a pretty good price for what it is, be interesting to see how the world takes it on, would be handy to have in some places in PNG. Avtur is always easier to get in some of those places too.

Nice! Million seems a pretty good price for what it is, be interesting to see how the world takes it on, would be handy to have in some places in PNG. Avtur is always easier to get in some of those places too.

The kit price for the sherpa T650 is $160 ooo not $ 1 million .See post #7

Broken down it is -$2500 deposit, then $97 500 during kit manufacture in progress payments. Then the final $60 ooo when the kit is ready to be delivered to the customer. See their web site- under purchase agreement.

Guest Maj Millard

Howard, That's only if the particle-separator is in the open position, don't believe they won't suck items if it isn't. The reverse flow design by the way was not by design, but because the PT6 was originally designed as a ground power turbine, not a pure aircraft turbine, as it has now become.....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Howard Hughes

By design? If you take the engine out and sit it on a stand, the air still changes direction (reverses) several times! Particle separators are actually part of the airframe and not part of the engine, they vary from installation to installation. In most cases the air still makes a sharp turn even with the particle separator in the closed (non ice/FOD protection position). Even if an item of FOD was able to negotiate the turn, something as large as a watch/spanner would be caught by the intake grill.

I still the think the chance of FOD damage with a PT-6 is a higlly unlikely event, even with Guernsey's night watchman on the job! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• 9 months later...
Guest Maj Millard

There is no substitute for huge flaps and shxx loads of power for great STOL performance !.....................Maj....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif