Fuel system pipeing??

Sloper

Goodaye all

After a to long a break from building l am finaly back to the garage.

Questions is what are people using for fuel lines inside there fuselauge?

l have AN8 from the tanks then need to go to a selector valve then onto the low pressure side of the pumps.

l can easily get aeromotive braided hoses designed to use in race car cabins, could be a bit heavy though.

Aluminium tube??

Silicone/rubber flexiable hose??

or a combination of both??

The system will be capable of using alachol fuels safley.

l also have to have a return back to the tanks.

regards Bruce

The Savannah uses aluminium tube for longer runs and then goes to rubber type hose with closed non worm drive clamps...seems to work well and stay light. The supplied hose is the kit is ok but I would use now EFI hose for all of the rubber if I was going to do it all again. The pic attached shows the rubber hose from the reserve/sump tank heading off to the engine in alu tube. It goes from there in alu to the fuel on off tap in front of the pilot on the floor. It goes to a short piece of rubber either side of the tap then sontinues on in alu up to the filter on the firewall inside the cowl where it goes to bubber again then pretty much rubber all the way to the carbys via a alu fuel splitter

IMG_1374_1.jpg.7ab913f4e9dc26c3d92bde8af9f858d4.jpg

Goodaye all

Thanks for that, was hoping for more input from others.

Leaning towards using Aeromotive AN6 stuff to the main valve and aluminium to the pumps.

regards Bruce

Bruce:

I used automotive EFI hose all the way from the fuel tank to the carbies and return. I decided to use rubber rather than aluminium as it's easier to replace later on if a problem arises, like vibration cracks. I used the highest quality EFI hose I could find. Can't remember the spec on it, but it is rated for use with ethanol fuels.

All feed and return lines aft of the firewall in the RV-12 are grade 3003 aluminium (tank is located in the baggage area). Feed line runs tank - electric pump - on/off valve - flow transducer - gascolator. Return line runs from the firewall back to the tank.

rgmwa

I ran internal lines in US Coastguard approved rubber. Replaced it at about 7 yeaars to be safe. The RV has 3003 Aluminium and AN fittings. If I was rebuilding the Corby I would go to aluminium. It is not hard to replace parts and easier to change than rubber which hardens and grips the fittings very tight.

A couple of things:

All engine hoses containing rubber-like compounds have to be replaced about every 5 years (for VH aircraft). It's not a bad practice to follow in RAAus planes.

If you use rubber-like compound hoses forward of the firewall, you should cover them with a fire resistant cover called Fyresleeve.

OME

A couple of things:All engine hoses containing rubber-like compounds have to be replaced about every 5 years (for VH aircraft). It's not a bad practice to follow in RAAus planes.

If you use rubber-like compound hoses forward of the firewall, you should cover them with a fire resistant cover called Fyresleeve.

OME

I must strongly agree with you on this, something that is ignored by many, fire sleeves on all lines engine side of fire wall, RAA auz factory built planes have to have it for certification yet kit built dont, I cannot understand that, totally nuts I have seen video of with and without involved fires huge difference in outcomes and that is why it is mandatory. prefer to see sleeves on both sides of all lines the rubber and all soft types are a fuel sourse in themselves let alone what runs inside, also tapeing the push through end of the hose to stop fibre entry during install, I have removed it from carbs before, and yes scheduled fuel line replacement as with VH rules.

This also includes all rubber oil lines ie to coolers and filter mounts, even the breather line

Goodaye all

Fire sleeves on the engine hoses will be a given, l am tring to build this thing as safe as possible.

Just worried about vibration fatiuge using aluminium to the fuel cells, being plastic it will move a bit.

Found a nice nylon braided hose suitable for all types of fuels and is lightweight, suits AN stuff as well.

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/hose/proclassic.shtml

l am thinking using this through the cabin.

regards Bruce

Bruce,

If you live in the Eastern Suburbs, it would be worthwhile for you to pop across to Bankstown and buy the MIL Spec hose if you are going to use flexible hose. It might cost a few bucks more, but class the extra as an insurance premium.

If you need help making up your hoses, I can arrange for you to use the correct tools at our workshop.

OME

l am in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne.

Thanks for the offer, it would be a long drive.

Mil spec hose is good also

As for tools, l was drooling over a toolbox the other day and thought l need more to fill it.

regards Bruce