GoPro Camera

Compulsion

I have bought a 16 gb card as you'll find the battery will go before you fill up the 16gb. Even at highest resolution. Also make sure it is a class 10 card at least . Look online and you can pick up good brands a lot cheaper than dick smith etc

• 2 months later...
Worth reading the new draft CAAP for electronic flight bags for the section on approvals at http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/newrules/ops/nprm/nprm1211os_annexd.pdfeg para 7.9 would apply if you mounted your i...

the sort of thing that can happen ...

http://t.steamboattoday.com/news/2013/feb/07/pilot-has-close-call-yampa-valley-regional-airport/

Here's a new camera/recorder/audio/data logger that may fit the bill as a 'in-cockpit' flight recorder.

It's sold through a business called VisionDrive on www.visiondrive.com.au or their FaceBook page and its latest version is exceptionally good.

The unit is VD-9000FHD Full HD Black Box.

Runs at 30 fps at full high definition of 1920 x 1080 and runs in a continuos loop. With a 32 GB memory card you'll get around 7 hours of recording before it starts running over the old video. It'll take though up to a new 128 GB card too!

Recording quality is exceptionally high and it's possibly biggest plus is its rated to 85 degrees C for hot operating conditions.

It starts recording the moment you turn on the 'key' and a electronic voice will inform you that the self test is OK, video and audio are now operational. Further it measures the 3 G loading as a chart plus speed and GPS tracking over lay on Google maps.

I've had a number of various brands over the past few years all all have either had poor vision quality or have died from 'heat stroke'. The main bit I really like with this unit is the many software options you have available and as it runs on a continues loop, you don't have to worry about how much recording time do I have left or available. To view the video there's either using the built-in 2 1/2 inch colour LCD screen or take the card out and view on your computer,etc.

• Informative 1

Okay so I now have my GoPro 2. What is the best editing software to use? Add music and edit the footage. Hope to post myfirstvideo after this weekend.

Compulsion:

I use Cyberlink Power Director. It's probably the best bang for buck for amateurs. If you're more skilled with video editing, one of the more expensive programs might be better. For me though, PD has enough flexibility yet is simple enough to get up and going on quickly...and it's cheap.

Here's a new camera/recorder/audio/data logger that may fit the bill as a 'in-cockpit' flight recorder.It's sold through a business called VisionDrive on www.visiondrive.com.au or their FaceBook page and its latest version is exceptionally good.

The unit is VD-9000FHD Full HD Black Box.

Runs at 30 fps at full high definition of 1920 x 1080 and runs in a continuos loop. With a 32 GB memory card you'll get around 7 hours of recording before it starts running over the old video. It'll take though up to a new 128 GB card too!

Recording quality is exceptionally high and it's possibly biggest plus is its rated to 85 degrees C for hot operating conditions.

It starts recording the moment you turn on the 'key' and a electronic voice will inform you that the self test is OK, video and audio are now operational. Further it measures the 3 G loading as a chart plus speed and GPS tracking over lay on Google maps.

I've had a number of various brands over the past few years all all have either had poor vision quality or have died from 'heat stroke'. The main bit I really like with this unit is the many software options you have available and as it runs on a continues loop, you don't have to worry about how much recording time do I have left or available. To view the video there's either using the built-in 2 1/2 inch colour LCD screen or take the card out and view on your computer,etc.

033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif OOPS... Sorry team, the web address is incorrect. Its www.visiondrive.net.au not (com.au)

Thanks Djpacro for posting the correct address. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Try umart online for your sd memory. They have a few stores I think all in se qld. I think I bought my last 16 g class 10 card for my SLR for around 15 bucks. They do mail order also.

Marc

Different technical considerations, especially for external mounts, but you will find that the same rule applies to cameras.

Just in case you are wondering how things are treated in the USA, I just noticed that at a recent ICAS conference the FAA stated that they will be looking at camera mounts they see at airshows to see the 337 form (approval of a major mod) for certified aircraft and appropriate approval for Experimental aircraft. Good news there is that some camera installations could be classified as a minor mod which is much easier to deal with in USA cf Australia.

I've had some problems recently with my GoPro HD (the first HD series).

Well it's not the camera itself, but editing the video coming from it.

First problem is that the CineForm software from GoPro crashes whenever I try to convert any of the movies from my camera.

Second problem is with the Microsoft Movie editor - when I have used 1280x960 resolution it has worked fine, but recently I've switched to recording at 1280x720 and when I try to edit any videos it saves them with a quite wide black border around the picture. It doesn't matter what output resolution I select it does it even if the output resolution is the same as input.

has anyone had similar problems?

And do you know any quick fix (apart from going back to 1280x960 or changing the editing software) that could fix it?

Z:

Do yourself a favour. For about the same amount that your kids pay for a playstation game, you can get Cyberlink PowerDirector11 Deluxe

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-deluxe/features_en_AU.html

It will take almost any video format known to man and out it to almost any other format. The editing is easy and it's reasonably robust and simple to use. I started with version 8 and now use version 10. If you were to cost the time and aggravation from trying to "make do" with half baked stuff like the GoPro app and Microsoft movie maker, you'll find you're better off to lash out on a proper editor/production program.

It's at $71.99AUD as of the time I write this

BTW:What kind of computer/operating system and how much RAM do you have?

I've tried the demo version of that power director and I'm coming to a conclusion that there may be something wrong with my PC.

Most of the video formats I've tried to save the video as wouldn't work coming up with an error about either outdated video drivers or outdated Windows Media player or quicktime.

It would never work if I tried hardware acceleration.

But I may have discovered why I've had problems with my 16:9 videos in Windows Movie maker - when I've tried to save the movie (in Power Director) as .WMV it came up with a warning that this format doesn't support 16:9.

Well looks like it will be a new graphic card and Power Director for me...

My PC is a Intel i5 with 4GB of ram and Radeon 4800 graphic card with windows 7 64 bit, should be well within the requirements for video processing.

Z:

That's odd that you're getting a message that 16:9 is not supported. When PD uploads to YouTube, it creates a WMV file with that aspect ratio and there is an option in the standard WMV file production for 1920X1080 which is 16:9.

Hardware acceleration with PD can be a bit spotty. I let PD decide that, but I have had some issues with it at times depending on the source file formats.

Running W7-64 with only 4GB of RAM sounds a bit close to the bone for video editing. If you can, upgrading that to 8 or more will give you more bang for your bucks than upgrading the GPU card. Video editing is Very memory hungry. When I started doing it, my computer kept crashing all the time. I tried the file shadowing that PD offers and that just seemed to make matters worse. I added some more RAM and it helped heaps. Then when my wife's computer died, I bit the bullet and up-speced as much as I dared to spend at the time. Editing image video doesn't tax the GPU like games that do 3D image processing or CAD. Video is based more in the CPU and memory and is mostly just bulk data transferring with some simple blending algorithms for text overlays etc. So that's why I suggested upgrading the RAM.

My system is W7-64, i7 CPU, 32GB RAM, invidia GTX480 GPU.

Edit: I just rendered a video project that I had done and monitored the CPU and RAM usage with task manager. PD10 demanded up to 10GB RAM and up to 93% of CPU usage during the render.

I went a bought the PD and actually got the ultra edition instead of deluxe, as it was on sale with some extra add ons and was only $80 US.

Now just to download the damn thing, as it keeps on mucking up during the download (might be my internet) so it's like the 3rd time I'm trying it now.

I've had a look at the processor and memory load on mine, was about 1.2 GB memory and 25% processor (I think), but it was only an 3 minute clip.

I also had a problem with it where it didn't encode one fragment of the video - it was just a green background on the outcome.

Re-running the process has fixed it, and luckily it only takes about 3-4 minutes instead of half an hour on MS Video editor.

Z:

Yes, PD is pretty darn quick when it comes to rendering, especially on a 64 bit OS.

The green screen fault is one of the types of errors I used to get when PD was gasping for RAM. It will use as much RAM as it can get it's hands on and the more you give it the happier it runs. I believe it uses it's own set of installed codecs and I think that is where the problems come from when the memory is tight. The codecs run as independent threads or processes under PD and if they run into trouble, often as not, PD doesn't really know what happened, it just gets a trashed video stream handed back to it from the codec.

One of the other indications I used to get was just plain black clips that PD interpreted as stretched black color boards.

In any case, it sounds like you were happy enough with the demo to lash out for the full version. Happy editing, and if you need help with it don't hesitate to contact me via PM on this site or through my email address (which shouldn't be to hard to find on my website). Also, check out the great tutorial videos on Cyberlink's site. They are REALLY helpful (if you can just ignore the nasally Dafyd)