How does a wing work!

Deskpilot

Sorry Derek, but I read a book a long time ago, written by a German American bloke called Wolfgang Langweische, it was called ( Not unusually ) STICK AND RUDDER.

With much experiance in the trade he deduced that an aeroplane flies for one simple reason. . . . . . .

IT BEATS THE AIR DOWNWARDS WITH IT'S WINGS.

So. . . . . There you have it, none of this totally unneccesary aerodynammiccal fysics stuf required. . . . .

Sorted.

Of course, ever notice that a $100 bill always lies with an aerodynamic curve to it-you are getting funnyer all the time nev.

I'll have to take your word for it. Don't think I've ever seen one.

rgmwa

An aeroplane get into the sky by feeding it money. Nev

That reminds me of the old line about sailing (Sydney to Hobart) - "Like standing in a cold shower with the air conditioner on maximum for four days, throwing $100 notes down the plughole as quickly as you can"

Guest Howard Hughes

How does a wing work?

I remember from high school something about a spoon and some flowing water, I guess that means wings only work in the rain!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I'll have to take your word for it. Don't think I've ever seen one.rgmwa

Lay $100 notes flat on your wing and they will have an aerodynamic curve before they all disappear into a slot near the fuselage marked "a/c ripoffs"015_yelrotflmao.gif.6321765c1c50ed62b69cf7a7fe730c49.gif

I don't believe that downward deflection provides all the lift and don't believe the theory taught in flying schools has been all wrong. To prove it mathematically would take too much time for me. As long as I get sucked up into the air when I pull the stick back, I am happy [my scienfific explanation]

I don't believe that downward deflection provides all the lift and don't believe the theory taught in flying schools has been all wrong. To prove it mathematically would take too much time for me. As long as I get sucked up into the air when I pull the stick back, I am happy [my scienfific explanation]

Hmmm... would that be sucked up or pushed up...? 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

rgmwa

Sucked up ? P U L L stick ?????????????? G E N T L E change of pressure toward the gut dear boy. . . . ( tut tut ) that is, unless a sudden and unexpected tree or rock face appears in your front window. . . . .

Sucked up ? P U L L stick ?????????????? G E N T L E change of pressure toward the gut dear boy. . . . ( tut tut ) that is, unless a sudden and unexpected tree or rock face appears in your front window. . . . .

Of course, that is the case when you are operating the aircraft controls.augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Hasn't been a serious approach to this question so far. good fun but... lift is generated by the reaction to a deflection of air. If you push air one way you get a force the otherway. No downwash No lift. Nev

Having done 37 years reseach on this subject I conclude that your vertical component of lift comes from differential pressure applied to various structures of the a/c and the downwash from the wing's trailing edge. That should put the whole story to restclosed.gif