Some details about the audit failures.

Captain

Guest Maj Millard

CASA come in with a 'tick the box' list of things, that they have determined are required of the audit. They generally start with documents and record keeping, and take it from there. They would also check that the required personal are on hand to do the required work/ record-keeping etc. An operating organization needs to have an approved 'operations manual' which outlines just how they go about doing things. This manual is usually approved by CASA once written. It must be kept updated as things (and personel ) change.

I would imagine RAAus are allowed to operate as 'An approved operator and training organization' and would be issued with an appropriate certificate of approval, which is then 'reviewed' (read audited) after a fixed stated period.

If one or several boxes aren't ticked then a 'non-compliance notice (NCN)' is issued, with a stated time period in which the error has to be corrected. This time period can vary depending on what needs to be corrected.

Once a 'non-compliance notice (NCN) is issued, it has to be actioned and completed. (just like your speeding fine has to be paid,..or else !) If it isn't, then the audits and NCNs just keep coming.

What I would imagine has happened in the RAAus is that nobody has taken charge of actioning the NCNs or have passed them onto someone else to action, who has passed them on to someone else........

The person whos name is on the certificate of approval, as the Certificate of approval holder is the one ultimatly responsable for clearing the NCNs. Last I heard any mention of it, the Office manageress was the one who held the certificate of approval ?????????????....Deep down inside however I have this personal gut-feeling that it would not have got to this stage had the aircraft not hit the damn ferris wheel !.......................................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maj, it would have gotten to this stage because the audit was scheduled before the Morgan Sierra hit the ferris wheel at Old Bar. The FAA in the USA had had lots of issues with LSA and CASA would have come expecting to find a problem or two but found more than "one or two". There were a lot of other things looked at in that first Audit on 21 Nov 2011 and most got an OK tick. But the LSA problems resulted in CASA issuing a "Safety Alert". The rest is a long downhill slide to oblivion.

• Like 1

I think the ferris wheel incident just provides ammunition.

The underlying administrative issues were there, waiting for the right moment. The audit would have been scheduled months in advance. It just all coincided at the same time ,and it exposed all the weaknesses that had been waiting for years, in administration, in oversight, in governance, in communication.

dodo

The way CASA work i would not be surprised if a bucket full of penalty units will be issued that will be paid by our member monies.

The FAA in the USA had had lots of issues with LSA

Being a member of EAA, I regularly get news updates on what's happening in the US.

I did not see a lot of mention of LSA problems over there before October 2011......

I think with the Yanks, it was a case of "That was spectacular, good thing we don't have that sort of problem over here,,,, or do we?"037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Yes they did have a problem with LSA in the US. Not so much with the aircraft but how the 'system' came up short on the 51% rule. Once the problems were identified the industry, (not the FAA), in the hands of Carol Carpenter had it sorted out quickly with very little inconvienience to manufactures and importers.

This is becoming more pathetic by the day.Did you asked RA-Aus for the audit reports first? Or have you just given up on asking our lords and masters for any information?

If you want a financial contribution towards the costs of information that should have been provided to the membership by RA-Aus, I would happily contribute.

Why don't you just ask the sacked tech manager what happened in the audit.

dodo