Alert Tecnam engine failure Boonah

Hi Heads in the Clouds

First I'm not a mechanic. I believe they were concerned that the prop being broken may some how moved the timing but because the motor was stopped probably not . The l2 removed a plug don't know which one but he seamed happy with timing after that.

Sorry not much help but 2 ignition ccts at the same time bugger.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Heads in the CloudsFirst I'm not a mechanic. I believe they were concerned that the prop being broken may some how moved the timing but because the motor was stopped probably not . The l2 removed a plug don't know which one but he seamed happy with timing after that.

Sorry not much help but 2 ignition ccts at the same time bugger.

Ah, no, you have been helpful! If he removed the plug in regard of checking the timing it would be the valve timing he was referring to, as to whether it had got affected by the prop strike, so that explains the comment.

In terms of two CDI failures at once, well that's extremely unlikely I would think, it makes a mockery of having two ignition circuits, maybe we need three... Were the CDI units replaced one at a time and the engine tested after one was replaced? What's happening with the failed ones, is someone examining them? And which part of the CDI units was replaced, the parts mounted on the top of the engine or the senders on the back of the engine?

• Agree 1

Hi Head

They replaced main units on top not senders.

Yes they tried starting only on one magneto then other.no go so they changed both.

Units being sent back for testing don't know if I will hear the result.will ask next time I'm there.

I agree very unlikely that's why there's 2 .what ever happened it happened to both was there a spike in the electrics?

Both ccts run for the same time in parallel it's been the best system, never the less replacing both units started the motor.

How many have had a CDI ignition failure. That's the question unlucky for 2 to happen.

Ah, no, you have been helpful! If he removed the plug in regard of checking the timing it would be the valve timing he was referring to, as to whether it had got affected by the prop strike, so that explains the comment.In terms of two CDI failures at once, well that's extremely unlikely I would think, it makes a mockery of having two ignition circuits, maybe we need three... Were the CDI units replaced one at a time and the engine tested after one was replaced? What's happening with the failed ones, is someone examining them? And which part of the CDI units was replaced, the parts mounted on the top of the engine or the senders on the back of the engine?

Hi Head in the clouds well said that does not make sense and certainly requires futher investigation

Tha

Hi Viper you did we'll to walk away from that. I had a look at the wreck and the cockpit was well intact.the floor held up well after loosing the undercarriage. They tried to start the motor no go so L2 arrived also a LAME ,they checked timing and other things no go then replaced both CDI units one try and it burst into life. L2 said he has had some CDI fail of late . Can I say keep an on the rev drop when checking Magneto it may be your only indication something is wrong.

thanks for the update although as HITC said this does not make sense I would appreciate a update if it comes

Guest Maj Millard

See my post and explanation for ign box failures in Vipers new post re: Rotax Ign box failures...................Maj...

I don't think that the CDI's failed in flight. Especially not both at the same time. I am aware of a couple of CDI issues but they related to aircraft not starting, NOT to engines stopping in flight. Problem of not starting may relate to voltage feed from the aircraft system to the CDIs pre-start being less than optimum. Not an issue in flight due to full electrical output at power settings. Have heard that the new soft start ignition may be better due to a better supply from the battery as part of the Rotax loom. Regardless, the CDIs that would not start an older engine started and ran well on a late model 912ULS with the soft start loom.

There has been speculation re high temps within the engine bay affecting the CDI's but there are TECNAMS in western QLD that spent all of January flying in daily temps over 40 Degrees C with absolutely no problems with CDIs.

Ross Millard may have some thoughts on this?

• Helpful 1

Im with Alf.... You did a sterling job under extreme circumstances, and you are both here to tell the tale.

Aircraft can be replaced. You and your daughter cannot.

Well done on a difficult day, and having to make split second decisions that WORKED.

I would fly with you, anyday.

Ben